I have a question

bluerain

Reaction score
can a hearing person give themselves their own sign name?
I thought someone within the deaf community had to give someone their sign name.

I thought someone within the deaf community had to give someone their sign name.

you just answered your own question

You can choose a sign name for yourself. But be prepared to have someone in the deaf community "assign" a new one to you. I choose my sign name and it got changed by my deaf friends. I like it very much so I cannot complain.

If it's a concern for you just discuss it with the deaf folks and you will have a nice sign name before you know it.

Okay thats exactly what I thought.
my asl teacher and I were signing to each other one day about having sign names and she told me that only people in the deaf community could give someone else a sign name.
so a few minutes later I saw my friend and i said "aw i want a sign name." and thats when my friend told me that she gave herself a sign name. I told her that she couldnt do that only someone in the deaf community could do that and she just proceeded to tell me that she could. so I just said whatever..
I swear she gets on my nerves sometimes. she thinks she knows EVERYTHING.

You can choose a sign name for yourself. But be prepared to have someone in the deaf community "assign" a new one to you. I choose my sign name and it got changed by my deaf friends. I like it very much so I cannot complain.

If it's a concern for you just discuss it with the deaf folks and you will have a nice sign name before you know it.

Yep. Make deaf friends. They will get tired of finger spelling your name in short order.:giggle:

She can give herself a sign name .. but she will be the only one who recognizes it or uses it ;-).

I am currently on sign name #2. first sign name i recieved i accepted immediately cuz darn it that was a deaf person and she gave me a name! :giggle:

as the years went by, i started disliking my sign name more and more. i mean, i accepted so fast, i didn't much consider if it would be something i'd like long term...so i went to the same person who gave me the name in the first place (she and i are close) and asked her if she would give me another name. and she was happy to oblige. :ty:

that was 2 years ago since she gave me name #2. this past May, i got a SERIOUS haircut and now my second sign name doesn't much match anymore (initialized for long hair). but i still like it. i won't be asking for another one.

that is unless she suggests i change it... :hmm:

My sign name give by hearie parents, but my name is word not name, so name sign just sign word. Boring.

My sign name give by hearie parents, but my name is word not name, so name sign just sign word. Boring.

I can think of only one sign (or sign combo) that would match your name. Now you got me sitting here thinking up sign names for you. :hmm:

I was wondering why one can't give oneself a sign name,
why it has to be done by a community, please?

After all, our legal names are the names our parents chose us, nobody else.

Fuzzy

My son came home doing his signs for his siblings. Do I discourage him from using these signs for them?? (Keep in mind I am hearing, he is deaf one sibling is hoh and two are hearing) he is in a hearing program through the schools which boils down to a two hour long session with 3 hearing impaired teachers and one interpreter. I don't want to crush his little 4 year old dreams or anything but if it isn't correct I want him to be taught the right way.

Please do not discourage your little boy from showing his siblings how to sign.

I was wondering why one can't give oneself a sign name,
why it has to be done by a community, please?

After all, our legal names are the names our parents chose us, nobody else.

Fuzzy

Cultural values and tradition

Like you said, your parents gave you your legal name. One does not name oneself.

When I became deaf, and went to a deaf school, there were 3 girls with the same first name...so someone (I forgot who)...gave me a sign with the first and last ititial of my name, displayed upon my shoulder...well, I got married, so the last initial has changed....but they still sign my name with the old initial...oh well!....I've seen some strange signs for names!...

Like a special handshake? Oh yeah, we have one but very secret. Only deafies know secret handshake.

Why would 'hearing' person need sign name? Are they Natives? So, maybe "Blue Rain" be *your* special name? :giggle:

Back