AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Relationships > Parenting
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree42Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Oceanbreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: S. FL
Posts: 9,991
Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Congrats, Alex! Your daughter is beautiful!!!
__________________
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
 
naisho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 6,466
Yeah, think it happened recently to one of my colleagues, she got a bit overly concerned over it.
It doesn't seem uncommon to fail it, but you're likely gonna be teaching her regardless, right?
naisho is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPyroX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
My two year old granddaughter passed her newborn screening and then didn't meet any milestones and learn speech.
Just in the past few months she was reassessed .
So I am not convinced of the reliability of those tests.
I agree. Babies tend to be alert at different levels.

So, if they're testing their hearing through alerts... how do they know it's the sound that's triggering the response? Could it be vibrations? Could it be movement? Could it be just random luck?
they measure the brain's reaction to sound, not the baby's.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 23,908
FJ, Dont you say congrats or something to the owner of this forum as well?
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Wirelessly posted

not on this thread but certainly on the other.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 39,898
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



they measure the brain's reaction to sound, not the baby's.
No they don't. They only use ABR if they fail the otoacoustic emissions test first.

Sorry to interupt your thread Alex, and your daughter is beautiful.
jillio and KristinaB like this.
__________________
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



they measure the brain's reaction to sound, not the baby's.
No they don't. They only use ABR if they fail the otoacoustic emissions test first.

Sorry to interupt your thread Alex, and your daughter is beautiful.
i think it is different in different places. I know that the recommedation is to do both (since they screen for different things.) but neither test requires a response from the child. (that is what i was responding to)

(and yes, congratulations alex. I'm sure your baby will do beautifully deaf or hearing!)
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,465
congratulations, Alex and family and welcome to new baby!!
dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered User
 
paisley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 11
Smile

Awwww, what a sweetheart, I agree with the others that further testing is needed.

Congrats and wishing your family all the best!
Paisley,
paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered User
 
deafbajagal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,171
90% of deaf babies are born to hearing parents...so the 10% left has to go somewhere. Follow-up soon, as you know. Good luck. I've seen her picture...she's a cutie!
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AandEMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pasadena, Maryland
Posts: 130
My parents are not deaf and I am so that has nothing to do with it drs told my mom every girl she had would be deaf. Now both of my children are deaf and their father's are hearing. I wasnt diagnosed til 4 but wear hearing aide as far as CI that should be her decidion because of what it is and not a deaf people aggree with the Implant. As far as testing they have steps to take but I have heard of failing then passing due to fluid. Good luck and congrats
AandEMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Lets ride horses!
 
Phillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spaceship
Posts: 11,183
My friend's baby passed hearing second time....... My friend believes her baby has apparently so exhausted on the first hearing test!

Congrats!!
__________________

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 13,906
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



i think it is different in different places. I know that the recommedation is to do both (since they screen for different things.) but neither test requires a response from the child. (that is what i was responding to)

(and yes, congratulations alex. I'm sure your baby will do beautifully deaf or hearing!)
That's true, but it can be inaccuarate. I've heard of babies who score profound on ABR, and then on audiogram were found to have a lot of residual hearing. Heck, on audiogram I'm hoh but on ABR I'm profound.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



i think it is different in different places. I know that the recommedation is to do both (since they screen for different things.) but neither test requires a response from the child. (that is what i was responding to)

(and yes, congratulations alex. I'm sure your baby will do beautifully deaf or hearing!)
That's true, but it can be inaccuarate. I've heard of babies who score profound on ABR, and then on audiogram were found to have a lot of residual hearing. Heck, on audiogram I'm hoh but on ABR I'm profound.
yes, auditory neuropathy can present with a profound abr but present oea. A booth test is considered the "gold standard" for measuring hearing, and is better than either test used for infants.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Here's a belated congrats, Alex! If that's your girl in your avatar, she's adorable!
KristinaB and frankiesmom like this.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13
My son failed his original screening in his right ear only, twice, and then when we had the ABR done, it was found that both of his ears had loss. In his case, fluid leftover from the womb wasn't a factor, as he was born months before his screenings in the NICU. We were told the hospital screenings are set so only moderate or worse losses would fail, but his two infant ABRs point to a moderate loss across the board in his left ear (50 to 55 dB) that passed the screenings. His right ear had a loss of 55 to 65 dB. I heard there are a lot of false positives on the testing, so I would try not to worry yet. It's good you are getting the ABR when she's a month old. We waited until 2 1/2 months adjusted, and it was harder...he woke up some. We had a failed attempt at another one 4 weeks later, but finally 4 weeks after that he slept through the whole thing. The results were very close to the 2/3 test that had been completed 8 weeks earlier. He is now 2 and due for yet another ABR, when he's under anesthesia for a tonsillectomy. Good luck with the testing.
Courtaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sarfarigirl2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtaney View Post
My son failed his original screening in his right ear only, twice, and then when we had the ABR done, it was found that both of his ears had loss. In his case, fluid leftover from the womb wasn't a factor, as he was born months before his screenings in the NICU. We were told the hospital screenings are set so only moderate or worse losses would fail, but his two infant ABRs point to a moderate loss across the board in his left ear (50 to 55 dB) that passed the screenings. His right ear had a loss of 55 to 65 dB. I heard there are a lot of false positives on the testing, so I would try not to worry yet. It's good you are getting the ABR when she's a month old. We waited until 2 1/2 months adjusted, and it was harder...he woke up some. We had a failed attempt at another one 4 weeks later, but finally 4 weeks after that he slept through the whole thing. The results were very close to the 2/3 test that had been completed 8 weeks earlier. He is now 2 and due for yet another ABR, when he's under anesthesia for a tonsillectomy. Good luck with the testing.
hey, I lost 50% when I was only a little girl!
__________________
19 yr old girl with a moderate loss in the right and moderate/profound on the left.
currently wearing purple Oticon Safari P 600s
Sarfarigirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FireTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arl, Jax, NE-FL, SE-USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe A, Mutiverse 1
Posts: 518
My son failed both ears at two screenings, and has not passed in the left ear yet (now at 21 mnts due to not allowing them to try).

He is not deaf/profound hoh he mimics all sorts of sounds and will change his pitch and volume to match us and/or surroundings.

(will try for a booth when he's a bit older... if we can ever get anything near his ears... *sigh*)

Give that beautiful baby a kiss from me.
FireTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sarfarigirl2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTiger View Post
My son failed both ears at two screenings, and has not passed in the left ear yet (now at 21 mnts due to not allowing them to try).

He is not deaf/profound hoh he mimics all sorts of sounds and will change his pitch and volume to match us and/or surroundings.

(will try for a booth when he's a bit older... if we can ever get anything near his ears... *sigh*)

Give that beautiful baby a kiss from me.
well for me, I falied both ears so I wore hearing aids.
look into me because why? I'm an expert on the tech behind them!
__________________
19 yr old girl with a moderate loss in the right and moderate/profound on the left.
currently wearing purple Oticon Safari P 600s
Sarfarigirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 13,906
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



yes, auditory neuropathy can present with a profound abr but present oea. A booth test is considered the "gold standard" for measuring hearing, and is better than either test used for infants.
Yes, but I don't have auditory nereopathy at all.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Krissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Manchester
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDeafNinja View Post
Please do not use that "hearing impaired". We don't like that. Hello, your baby is deaf lol. Better learn ASL now. If doctor suggest you to get your child a CI. Don't get it. Let your child grow and understand how CI works then ask her to see if she want or not. it her choice. Also be sure your child learn ASL, not oral.
Can I ask why you don't like "hearing impaired"? Sorry, although I'm deaf myself I don't know much lol
Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Garfield, NJ
Posts: 3,996
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Alex Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Hey guys, I haven't taken my baby to the doctor for a hearing test yet. Mia does seem to hear sounds around her very well, though. She's 4 months old now and has started saying "mama" and "papa" with her little voice. So cute!

Thank you all for the nice comments about my baby Mia. Here's a pic of her taken this past weekend.

__________________
"Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read." - Mark Twain
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger
"Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful." - Warren Buffett
Alex is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 23,908
Beautioful can you please re size this picture. O=) SHe has beautiful dark brown eyes.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sarfarigirl2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,419
Alex, your baby is so beautiful!!
__________________
19 yr old girl with a moderate loss in the right and moderate/profound on the left.
currently wearing purple Oticon Safari P 600s
Sarfarigirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jazzberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York State
Posts: 761
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarfarigirl2011 View Post
Alex, your baby is so beautiful!!
And a genius too! Already saying mama and papa at 4 months!
__________________
I was a mainstreamed "solitaire". I'm currently learning ASL. My hearing loss ranges from moderate to profound; my audiogram and speech discrimination are posted here.
Jazzberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FireTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arl, Jax, NE-FL, SE-USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe A, Mutiverse 1
Posts: 518
So I have this son... and you have that daughter.

j/k

FireTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California
Posts: 446
Your daughter is soooo cute Alex!
paperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.