AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree95Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Booger_Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 71
Why do Deaf people feel ignored by many?

This question has plagued the Deaf community for centuries. Why must we all queue or be the last to conversate with anyone?
I don't understand it. Anyone care to explain?

Moved to Our World, Our Culture
Moderator naisho

Last edited by naisho; 12-27-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Booger_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Home of Canucks!
Posts: 3,269
Blog Entries: 2
Because is easier hearies pretend we not exist than try learn communicate with us.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Because is easier hearies pretend we not exist than try learn communicate with us.
Exactly.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Because is easier hearies pretend we not exist than try learn communicate with us.
Not the case around here...
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger_Bender View Post
This question has plagued the Deaf community for centuries. Why must we all queue or be the last to conversate with anyone?
I don't understand it. Anyone care to explain?
well why do you act like one then?

take initiative. Rosa Parks style.
rockin'robin and TWA like this.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
mbrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,512
Blog Entries: 1
I've been to deaf socials. I sure feel like the odd one out then - but I make an effort.
__________________
Sarcasm - just another little service I offer.
mbrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Booger_Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 71
I probably appear to act like one because, I am the only Deaf in my entire family and not one member other than my fiancee who knows and understand ASL fluently or at all. I was raised forced in the hearing world with every aspect. While I do seem hearing I can honorably tell you I'm not. I'm just upset with the communication factor that hearies feel they rule over anyone else and completely ignore Deaf needs, instead they just tell us to join their culture instead if you want to be in regular society. It's like being a Dog chained up and never able to freely roam about happily.
CrzyMeg and BecLak like this.
Booger_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
blondon704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: I live in the nowhere of all nowheres!
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger_Bender View Post
I probably appear to act like one because, I am the only Deaf in my entire family and not one member other than my fiancee who knows and understand ASL fluently or at all. I was raised forced in the hearing world with every aspect. While I do seem hearing I can honorably tell you I'm not. I'm just upset with the communication factor that hearies feel they rule over anyone else and completely ignore Deaf needs, instead they just tell us to join their culture instead if you want to be in regular society. It's like being a Dog chained up and never able to freely roam about happily.
I can assure you (for what the word of someone on a computer is worth) it is not like that with all hearing people.
blondon704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Home of Canucks!
Posts: 3,269
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
Not the case around here...
Lucky!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
TWA
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,374
We don't have this problem in Washington, D.C.
society's_child likes this.
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger_Bender View Post
I probably appear to act like one because, I am the only Deaf in my entire family and not one member other than my fiancee who knows and understand ASL fluently or at all. I was raised forced in the hearing world with every aspect. While I do seem hearing I can honorably tell you I'm not. I'm just upset with the communication factor that hearies feel they rule over anyone else and completely ignore Deaf needs, instead they just tell us to join their culture instead if you want to be in regular society. It's like being a Dog chained up and never able to freely roam about happily.
so get a deaf girl.

I can make a simple effort to find a hearing GF but I didn't because I refuse to put myself in that situation again. it does take some effort to find a nice deaf girl but I think it's worth it.
Booger_Bender likes this.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,737
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
I get ignored even by Deaf Community because not everyone like cars with turbocharged engine.

Seriously, I think that people who grew up in a Deaf Culture are more likely to want a Deaf/deaf relationship. They would make it an ultimatium to refuse to date a hearing person unless they're a CODA.

Would I want a daef/Deaf relationship? Yes, I would, but I chose to have a hearing girlfriend.
Booger_Bender likes this.
dereksbicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 18,781
everyone in my family are hearing, lots of my friends also....do I feel "ignored"...Hell NO!...I make my presence "known" and expect the same considerations from them as I'm considerate of them also. (I do get verbally Loud at times)

Do I feel somewhat "slighted" in group conversations, such as a party or get-together sometimes? Yes...since it's hard to follow the conversations. So, I'm moreso "one on one", not the same person tho'. Most all my friends and family take the time to make me comfortable, and not left out.....I also take the time to ask my boys (hearing) at home..."what's going on with you today? Ur plans for the weekend?"...etc., etc..."Anything you want to talk about?"

If I felt "ignored" by my family or friends, I'd let it be known to them how I felt....All my boys know ASL...so do 2 of my sisters, not fluently tho'. But enuf to get by....

I'm sure hearing people would feel ignored at an all deaf gathering too! So, it's both ways here. How we deal with it, makes the difference....
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Know what bothers me? Dont pretend Im nawt deaf just b/c you dont know ASL. I just dont give a damn Im ignored b/c Im deaf. I love myself and fawk the rest.
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Booger_Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondon704 View Post
I can assure you (for what the word of someone on a computer is worth) it is not like that with all hearing people.
It's a general saying. Very broad. You're right not all Hearing people are the same. It's the majority against minority in this case.
Booger_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 692
hearing peoples ignoreing deaf bec lazy for learns asl and they thinking hard communication with us!!!!! i doesnt give **** about some hearing people bec i got large family of deafs friend!!!! i am connect to deaf community so i not feel outcast.
ash345 likes this.
MyNameIsNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,462
I think that's one of the reasons the d/Deaf community so important - the sense of connection-
dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
blondon704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: I live in the nowhere of all nowheres!
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger_Bender View Post
It's a general saying. Very broad. You're right not all Hearing people are the same. It's the majority against minority in this case.
true. I live in a very "sticks" type small area where people are extremely judgemental and harsh towards anything that their small little brains don't consider the normal. I have met (aside from my son) 5 Deaf/HoH people the entire 25 years of my life here. With those people, all being patients of mine, I made a solid attempt at trying to sign with them as much as I could. All of them were very polite with me even though I am just learning, I did have one man laugh in my face and tell me to use a pen and paper, but I didn't let that deter me I have only been self teaching myself for three years so you can imagine how far I have gotten on my own. Deaf, hearing, black, white, rainbow leprechauns I am going to go out of my way to make people feel welcome and comfortable around me.
We are still all the very same. I do understand your point though.
rockin'robin, ash345 and joycem137 like this.
blondon704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 18,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondon704 View Post
true. I live in a very "sticks" type small area where people are extremely judgemental and harsh towards anything that their small little brains don't consider the normal. I have met (aside from my son) 5 Deaf/HoH people the entire 25 years of my life here. With those people, all being patients of mine, I made a solid attempt at trying to sign with them as much as I could. All of them were very polite with me even though I am just learning, I did have one man laugh in my face and tell me to use a pen and paper, but I didn't let that deter me I have only been self teaching myself for three years so you can imagine how far I have gotten on my own. Deaf, hearing, black, white, rainbow leprechauns I am going to go out of my way to make people feel welcome and comfortable around me.
We are still all the very same. I do understand your point though.
With that attitude, you will adjust fine....
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Grummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 13,380
wonder whats Flip got to say about this?


i , for one, would say, Hearing Culture is ****ed up. They never listen to what Deaf Culture has to say, so hence the ignorance.
There's ALOT of education needed....but also the other problem is sign languages and 'cultural studies' still paints a picture that we are some kind of 'interesting' ones...so its never taken seriously...now listen, read in between lines to those linguists says about Sign Langauges...(Write Alex said this before me, he observed right!) and this linguists never actually fight to perserve SL, but only in a sense of the word as "knowledge bases" for THEIR interests, not Deaf interests of us living-hood (if there's a such word)....
__________________
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
I dont know if Im makin sense or nawt. Hearing people have an alliance and we're being left out. They want to keep it that way b/c we're nawt as important as they are. That is how I feel.
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrzyMeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pensacola Florida or coming back to Pensacola
Posts: 6,226
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to CrzyMeg Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyMeg
IDK about me. I just stuck with both community Hearing and Deaf. Technically i have 2 separate Identities. My parents want me to speak or sign while talking which is difficult to do. So i just speak when i am around with hearing family members and hearing friends. I do have deaf friends as well and i sign with them. Sometimes i forget to spend time with deaf friends or hearing family when i with one group or other. It may be hard yes. But if hearing people doesnt want to signs that fine (well for me) I just encourage myself to think positive each day no matter who person is, there is many ways to communicate if something happens.
__________________


A PROUD POLYNESIAN INDIAN
CrzyMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 39,849
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
everyone in my family are hearing, lots of my friends also....do I feel "ignored"...Hell NO!...I make my presence "known" and expect the same considerations from them as I'm considerate of them also. (I do get verbally Loud at times)

Do I feel somewhat "slighted" in group conversations, such as a party or get-together sometimes? Yes...since it's hard to follow the conversations. So, I'm moreso "one on one", not the same person tho'. Most all my friends and family take the time to make me comfortable, and not left out.....I also take the time to ask my boys (hearing) at home..."what's going on with you today? Ur plans for the weekend?"...etc., etc..."Anything you want to talk about?"

If I felt "ignored" by my family or friends, I'd let it be known to them how I felt....All my boys know ASL...so do 2 of my sisters, not fluently tho'. But enuf to get by....

I'm sure hearing people would feel ignored at an all deaf gathering too! So, it's both ways here. How we deal with it, makes the difference....
RR and I must be related. I don't get ignored either! Following group conversations doesn't work, but people absolutely do work to include me.

And if I get tired, I have lots of electronic toys to occupy me while I take a break.
rockin'robin and mbrek like this.
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Eighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger_Bender View Post
This question has plagued the Deaf community for centuries. Why must we all queue or be the last to conversate with anyone?
I don't understand it. Anyone care to explain?
I try not to think in this way. I consider it as "communication barrier" between majority and minority. Unfortunately, both side needs to put in extra effort to communicate and interact in non-native way.

Minorities need to put in extra effort to be heard. I appreciate all works that Deaf activists have done for America, it sure make our life MUCH easier compared to other countries.

Be thankful you werent born 100+ years ago.
Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cheetah Consulting-Closed
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,694
It's always hard when I am with my gf family and my CI battery dies. I go completely deaf and her parents are near impossible to lip read. Her mother is also very judgemental about hearing. She gets upset if I cannot hear her and do not have a replacement battery with me. I try not to let it annoy me, but it does. I find I withdraw when this happens and that only makes things worse. Sigh. I feel I will be with my gf for a long time so I better get them turned around soon!!! Because there is no way in hell am I changing for them!!!
__________________
The Cheetah Consulting services
No request too small, no fee too large!
Serving the deaf world wide since yesterday.
Open daily 9 ~ 5
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 692
hearing people coming and ask me teach them asl. then they excite and ask me asl of swear bad word. THAT IS ALL.. SIGNS FOR BAD WORD THAT THEY WANT KNOW. they not care for make convo with deaf person.
coolgirlspyer90 likes this.
MyNameIsNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Bebonang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S.A
Posts: 8,028
Hearing people ignored me as I had to asked them to repeat what they had said. Also when I was in elementary or high school, my hearing family don't want to learn ASL as I can talk to them, but not understand why I had trouble not understanding them very well. It is like they expect me to communicate with them all the way even lipreading, not half way with ASL. They don't want to bother learning about Deaf Culture and ASL at all. They would rather have us be like them alllllllll the waaaaay! Geeze.
BecLak likes this.
__________________
DEAF SINCE BIRTH

Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

You speak to me on lip..
I don't speak..
I sign with you..
You gesture..
I can't hear you..
You can hear me..
You can see and I can see..
-Smell, Sense, Taste, Feel and See-
Was born with broken ears..
I was not perfect, but I am used to being happy and Deaf..

Bebonang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
lovezebras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,991
sallylou do you follow voldemort on twitter :p

I also am not ignored I mean I get the occasional hearing trying to OVER help me and make up their own sign language or yell at me but mostly I just get ppl looking at my hearing aids...I do feel somewhat aloof when ALL my family is together because they forget that I can't hear half the time..but everyone I know still makes an effort to include me or help me out for the most part
rockin'robin likes this.
lovezebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Speedy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: England
Posts: 816
I really don't like Xmas eve and day and boxing day cos I have to be with whole family. They just ignore me. Like for example, I was trying to talk to one of them and he didn't answer to me, he act as if I am not there and other came up to talk to him and act as I wasn't there either. I tried but they just won't try with me.

Not nice for me. I always try get away as soon I can to my bedroom or other room to watch TV or laptop or read book.
__________________
Free Jillio!!
Speedy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummer View Post
wonder whats Flip got to say about this?


i , for one, would say, Hearing Culture is ****ed up. They never listen to what Deaf Culture has to say, so hence the ignorance.
There's ALOT of education needed....but also the other problem is sign languages and 'cultural studies' still paints a picture that we are some kind of 'interesting' ones...so its never taken seriously...now listen, read in between lines to those linguists says about Sign Langauges...(Write Alex said this before me, he observed right!) and this linguists never actually fight to perserve SL, but only in a sense of the word as "knowledge bases" for THEIR interests, not Deaf interests of us living-hood (if there's a such word)....
I'm guilty of this sometimes when I ask people who is easy to communicate with, leaving out hearies. But at family parties this is dumb and rude. Notice how I even generalise hearin people as not worthy of asking questions. Not proud of that.

Grummer, do you have any threads where you present proof about linguistics?

Btw, has people noticed how audist hearing people go quiet once jillio gets banned? Opinion of deaf people ain't worth a shit to them.
Booger_Bender likes this.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.