AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree25Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
BTW: I've been to some socials that had not first been cleared (the last was at Olive Garden) and management told the group of about 50 "Eat, pay and leave" Those tables are too valuable not to turn over regularly.
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
As usual, you are wrong. If a group wants to use the establishment for other than its intended purpose permission must be granted. That is why a business meeting, a social, a birthday party, etc. must be cleared first with management.
Get a clue!
You are completely and utterly incorrect. A group of friends can meet ina restaurant for any purpose they choose, be it to visit with each other over coffee or drinks, celebrate a bithday, or have a business meeting. It does not have to be cleared with management. It is a place open to the public. It isn't like they came in and tried to use a coffee shop as a shooting range. They went in and had coffee with friends. That is what a coffee shop is for. And since they had been doing it for 10 years, I'd say the coffee shop was not doubt grateful for their business. You act like the business was doing something for the customer when it is the other way around. It is the customer that is patronizing the business and the business who is grateful. They could choose any place they wanted to to have a cup of coffee and a chat. They chose this place, and they don't need permission to go into a public place.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
BTW: I've been to some socials that had not first been cleared (the last was at Olive Garden) and management told the group of about 50 "Eat, pay and leave" Those tables are too valuable not to turn over regularly.
Yeah, right. Management cannot throw a group of 50 people out just because they think they aren't eating fast enough. I'd love to see that one called into the cops. Hey, can you come get these paying customers out of my place of business because they eat too slow?
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,446
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Yeah, right. Management cannot throw a group of 50 people out just because they think they aren't eating fast enough. I'd love to see that one called into the cops. Hey, can you come get these paying customers out of my place of business because they eat too slow?
THere are big signs in some spots where people used to try that here saying that they can only stay for a certain period of time, and it is not a place for card games, etc.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
THere are big signs in some spots where people used to try that here saying that they can only stay for a certain period of time, and it is not a place for card games, etc.
Who was playing cards?
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #36 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,446
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Who was playing cards?
Customers gathering there without arrangement.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Yeah, right. Management cannot throw a group of 50 people out just because they think they aren't eating fast enough. I'd love to see that one called into the cops. Hey, can you come get these paying customers out of my place of business because they eat too slow?
The deaf are not eating too slow but not at all. The deaf want to makie a social event out of the meal. Which is ok if management says they have the space for it. Otherwise ,they hang around and take up table space where the seats could be turn over to the next paying customer. It is a good thing you never went into the business because you are tooooo nice to people.
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Customers gathering there without arrangement.
Where? At this deaf coffee?
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
The deaf are not eating too slow but not at all. The deaf want to makie a social event out of the meal. Which is ok if management says they have the space for it. Otherwise ,they hang around and take up table space where the seats could be turn over to the next paying customer. It is a good thing you never went into the business because you are tooooo nice to people.
Thank God that curmudgeons are in the extreme minority. And they don't go into business because no one will patronize a curmudgeon's establishment.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In my time zone
Posts: 11,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Where? At this deaf coffee?
Yeah. I see it all the time here too. Not necessarily at a "deaf coffee" but even at restaurants where (even I'm guilty of this!) we sit for hours and play cards. I'm sure management would rather have had the turnover to another paying customer, but we usually only do it at restaurants that are not "full" - no lines/people waiting for our tables.
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
Yeah. I see it all the time here too. Not necessarily at a "deaf coffee" but even at restaurants where (even I'm guilty of this!) we sit for hours and play cards. I'm sure management would rather have had the turnover to another paying customer, but we usually only do it at restaurants that are not "full" - no lines/people waiting for our tables.
Right. And in that case the management is in agreement to you staying. If they had needed the table for new customers coming in, I'm sure they would have politely asked you to leave so they could serve the customers who were waiting. The point is, you did not have to ask permission before even entering the place, which is what was suggested should be done for this group of deaf people.

I don't know how asking permission even became an issue. No one was complaining about the deaf gathering. Management didn't have a problem with them being there. The OP was just about one employee that needed sensitivity training based on the way she spoke about a deaf customer.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered User
 
joycem137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 87
Send a message via AIM to joycem137 Send a message via Yahoo to joycem137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Where? At this deaf coffee?
I'm fairly sure this group has made prior arrangements, as they've been doing it for 10 years.
joycem137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycem137 View Post
I'm fairly sure this group has made prior arrangements, as they've been doing it for 10 years.
Exactly. That isn't what this was about.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycem137 View Post
I'm fairly sure this group has made prior arrangements, as they've been doing it for 10 years.
Yes, that is what this is all about. Ten years ago the establishment gave permission and since then has welcome the group. Prior permission is always the best way to go.
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
Yes, that is what this is all about. Ten years ago the establishment gave permission and since then has welcome the group. Prior permission is always the best way to go.
Thank you for demonstrating the communication difficulties that occur when someone doesn't pay attention. None of this was ever about the group having permission to be there. It was all in your head.
deafskeptic likes this.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Journey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
You bet...some just go for the social and chat...not buying anything....I got an email awhile back about Starbucks (Deaf Coffee Chat),,and he stated that it would be nice...or "please" buy at least 1 coffee or something!....
I can relate to this robin :-). When I went to deaf coffee in Wisconsin recently, it was made clear to me and the other attendees, by the organizer, that there was a minimum one drink limit. This was the arrangement made between the organizers and the coffee house upon their first meeting to set up deaf coffee at this location on a regular basis. To meet one time in an establishment is one thing, but if you are a group frequenting any place on a regular basis - a place where their livelihood is based on customer turnover - I think coming to certain agreements with the business owner/manager is not only polite and respectful but also establishes a much smoother, more enjoyable atmostphere for everyone.
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
The above should just be a matter of curtesy. But this situation did not occur over someone not buying a coffee. In fact, the clerk that was so insensitive even offered him a receipt.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Thank you for demonstrating the communication difficulties that occur when someone doesn't pay attention. None of this was ever about the group having permission to be there. It was all in your head.


As usual, you are wrong. Even the OPoster, joycem, agrees with me (see post #20}.
Possible you are wrong so often because there is nothing upstairs.
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
As usual, you are wrong. Even the OPoster, joycem, agrees with me (see post #20}.
Possible you are wrong so often because there is nothing upstairs.
You are completely delusional. No one agrees with you. She was pointing out that your suggestion was not even relevant.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
As usual, you are wrong. Did you even go back and read the post? I think not. Otherwise you would have realized she was addressing YOU. She was teling YOU that it was not absurd.
I can not be blame for YOUR lack of reading comprehension.
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
joycem137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 87
Send a message via AIM to joycem137 Send a message via Yahoo to joycem137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
As usual, you are wrong. Did you even go back and read the post? I think not. Otherwise you would have realized she was addressing YOU. She was teling YOU that it was not absurd.
I can not be blame for YOUR lack of reading comprehension.
Uhhh...



I was just saying that they probably have permission. I have no idea which one of you that supports or whatever. I saw a potential misunderstanding and I tried to clear it up.
joycem137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
If you are ever in Houston, look us up. We always have many socials every month and we do get prior permission (except the malls).

Log on: ASL Social

or

www.***********houston.com
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
deaf
network
houston
com
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycem137 View Post
Uhhh...



I was just saying that they probably have permission. I have no idea which one of you that supports or whatever. I saw a potential misunderstanding and I tried to clear it up.
That would have been me. I said the issue was useless, as they had been going to that location for some time, and therefore would have had implicit permission if not explicit. R7 just loves to try and tell me I'm wrong about everything. You should have seen him in the homosexual threads. I could make a post that says "The grass is green" and he would respond with "As usual, you are wrong!" LOL. He has some issues.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
Come to Houston.....the grass and trees are brown everywhere.....as usual you are wrong!
Bottesini likes this.
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered User
 
joycem137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 87
Send a message via AIM to joycem137 Send a message via Yahoo to joycem137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
Come to Houston.....the grass and trees are brown everywhere.....as usual you are wrong!
Sounds exactly like California. Well, during the summer, anyways. Okay, the trees are green year-round, but the grass is brown in the summer, and fall.
jillio likes this.
joycem137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
Come to Houston.....the grass and trees are brown everywhere.....as usual you are wrong!
There is a lot of brown in Houston. That is one of the things you complain about most. Damned Mexicans!
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,446
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
Come to Houston.....the grass and trees are brown everywhere.....as usual you are wrong!
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #59 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,446
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
You are completely delusional. No one agrees with you. She was pointing out that your suggestion was not even relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling7 View Post
As usual, you are wrong. Did you even go back and read the post? I think not. Otherwise you would have realized she was addressing YOU. She was teling YOU that it was not absurd.
I can not be blame for YOUR lack of reading comprehension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
That would have been me. I said the issue was useless, as they had been going to that location for some time, and therefore would have had implicit permission if not explicit. R7 just loves to try and tell me I'm wrong about everything. You should have seen him in the homosexual threads. I could make a post that says "The grass is green" and he would respond with "As usual, you are wrong!" LOL. He has some issues.
That seems like a mutual occupation for both of you!
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #60 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
That seems like a mutual occupation for both of you!
It would appear that way, Bott! The difference being, I explain where he is wrong. He just says, "As usual, you are wrong." I don't think he even reads the posts. He just sees my avatar, and automatically replies "As usual, you are wrong." LOL
Bottesini likes this.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.