AllDeaf.com

AllDeaf.com (http://www.alldeaf.com/)
-   Our World, Our Culture (http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/)
-   -   Morpheme not morphine... (http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/96902-morpheme-not-morphine.html)

rebeccalj 11-28-2011 11:20 PM

Morpheme not morphine...
 
We start interesting discussion in another thread and kind of take off topic so bringing here.

Journey very helpful to explain 'cha' but wonder about 'pah' morpheme.

Do you know where these originate from? Or when you use them with other sign? Are there *other* morpheme?

Just want a place for us 'Oral' deafies to learn more about this.

Maybe Journey and Jazz can re-post links from other thread so in one place?

Sunshine 11-28-2011 11:22 PM

Hmm. Not understand any this. Lol.

Journey 11-28-2011 11:27 PM

rebecca, "helpful" is a generous compliment for what I did haha, but I thank you.

Here's the link: ASLPro.com - Mouth Morphemes

And Sunny, it makes no sense to you because you are light years ahead of us in ASL ;-).

posts from hell 11-28-2011 11:30 PM

When I describe my ballsack.... CHA!!!!!!!!!!

Bottesini 11-28-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by posts from hell (Post 1981095)
when i describe my ballsack.... Cha!!!!!!!!!!

ahh

posts from hell 11-28-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccalj (Post 1981081)
We start interesting discussion in another thread and kind of take off topic so bringing here.

Journey very helpful to explain 'cha' but wonder about 'pah' morpheme.

Do you know where these originate from? Or when you use them with other sign? Are there *other* morpheme?

Just want a place for us 'Oral' deafies to learn more about this.

Maybe Journey and Jazz can re-post links from other thread so in one place?

Many other morphemes... AS much as I dislike Aslpro.com - they have a good list.

DeafBadger 11-28-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by posts from hell (Post 1981097)
Many other morphemes... AS much as I dislike Aslpro.com - they have a good list.

What don't you like about Aslpro.com? Doesn't teach ASL correctly or something?

Journey 11-28-2011 11:35 PM

oh PFH so many possible comebacks for that, but I am a lady and will say none of them:laugh2:.

posts from hell 11-28-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeafBadger (Post 1981099)
What don't you like about Aslpro.com? Doesn't teach ASL correctly or something?

too hearing oriented. and you can see some stuff that arent ASL at all..

Jazzberry 11-28-2011 11:36 PM

Rebecca, your thread title is cracking me up!

Somehow it came up in the other thread that a lot of signs are supposed to be signed along with special mouth movements called morphemes.

So, for example, if you are signing the word 'big' -- you are suppose to mouth 'cha' at the same time. If you don't -- then apparently you are proving you aren't fluent in ASL! Which I do a lot. hehe. Actually I lie, I don't know enough ASL yet to even be on the same continent of being fluent in ASL. Someday, I hope ...

Anyway ... here are some links to see how to mouth 'cha' at the same time you make the sign 'big' or 'large' --

Go to: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Click on 'L' and then click on 'large.'

You can also click on 'B' and then click on 'big', but I like the way the first woman mouths it (mouths it, is that the right way to express that???) better.


I think Journey found the best web site though -- a dictionary just for Mouth Morphemes!

Really fascinating, but at the moment I'm worried how I'm ever going to be able to keep it all straight. A lot of the morphemes just don't seem intuitive to me.

posts from hell 11-28-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journey (Post 1981101)
oh PFH so many possible comebacks for that, but I am a lady and will say none of them:laugh2:.

hahahaha don't let the society stereotypes shape you. Be yourself. :naughty:

posts from hell 11-28-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzberry (Post 1981103)
A lot of the morphemes just don't seem intuitive to me.

Yet.

Jazzberry 11-28-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by posts from hell (Post 1981102)
too hearing oriented. and you can see some stuff that arent ASL at all..

So some of the signs are SEE and not ASL?

DeafBadger 11-28-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by posts from hell (Post 1981102)
too hearing oriented. and you can see some stuff that arent ASL at all..

I see. Ok.

Jazzberry 11-28-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by posts from hell (Post 1981109)
Yet.

Oh, I hope your optimism is catching! :)

posts from hell 11-28-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzberry (Post 1981110)
So some of the signs are SEE and not ASL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeafBadger (Post 1981111)
I see. Ok.

for example, even at this link:
ASLPro.com - Mouth Morphemes

You see the lady say "Mouth" "Morphemes"

The sign for mouth was awkward, and not only that, it shouldnt have been used.

The sign for Morpheme at the mouth was enough.

mbrek 11-29-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by posts from hell (Post 1981095)
When I describe my ballsack.... CHA!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm...

Something you do frequently, no doubt? :hmm:

posts from hell 11-29-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrek (Post 1981142)
Hmmmm...

Something you do frequently, no doubt? :hmm:

nah.

Bottesini 11-29-2011 10:40 AM

Haiku

You missed my morpheme.
And it was very funny.
But not offended.

Frisky Feline 11-29-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by posts from hell (Post 1981114)
for example, even at this link:
ASLPro.com - Mouth Morphemes

You see the lady say "Mouth" "Morphemes"

The sign for mouth was awkward, and not only that, it shouldnt have been used.

The sign for Morpheme at the mouth was enough.


Yes, I agree. I did check and dislike how aslpro.com facial expression/morphemes responses differently slightly.

deafbajagal 11-29-2011 12:34 PM

http://www.editora-arara-azul.com.br...catalogo/3.pdf

This is a wonderful PDF link to use as a reference for those of you who are not native or fluent in ASL. You can google ASL Mouth Morpheme and you will see tons of examples with videos, etc.

dogmom 11-29-2011 12:58 PM

:ty:deafbajagal

Frisky Feline 11-29-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafbajagal (Post 1981459)
http://www.editora-arara-azul.com.br...catalogo/3.pdf

This is a wonderful PDF link to use as a reference for those of you who are not native or fluent in ASL. You can google ASL Mouth Morpheme and you will see tons of examples with videos, etc.

this is better one. thanks for the right link. :)

Jazzberry 11-29-2011 08:07 PM

:ty: , Deafbajagal. I downloaded the file to make sure that I can always refer to it. It's a little over my head for now, but hopefully not for long! :)

rebeccalj 11-30-2011 08:56 AM

:ty: Everyone for the links. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.