AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree7Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Doug5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 880
Anyone Else Avoid Eye Contact?

I do it when not wearing my ha's, to avoid getting into conversations with people. Its hard to understand people without them, so I dont bother
Doug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Potterhead and Janeite
 
sallylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,652
Wirelessly posted (droid)

Yea but so do plenty of hearing people. If I catch someone's eye, I'll smile but I don't give her/him an opportunity to strike up a conversation.
__________________
sallylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 163
Yup, sometimes I put on my sunglasses, since I have light-sensitivity, and just walk on by with my service dog (BTW, I never claim to be blind or that Leah is a seeing-eye dog. I have a legitimate reason for both dog and glasses, it's there "fault" for thinking of a logical conclusion that I might be blind. )
DeafRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Best Coast, USA
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafRaptor View Post
Yup, sometimes I put on my sunglasses, since I have light-sensitivity, and just walk on by with my service dog (BTW, I never claim to be blind or that Leah is a seeing-eye dog. I have a legitimate reason for both dog and glasses, it's there "fault" for thinking of a logical conclusion that I might be blind. )

Sorry, off topic but...
I have light sensitivity as well, and cannot go outside without my sunglasses. I even wear them inside sometimes if my eyes are feeling particularly sensitive in flourescent light. Have you gone to an optometrist for that? I've been thinking about making an appt to see if there are rx glasses that are geared just toward "dimming the light" due to lack of a better phrase. Do you have something like that? Just curious.
CSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Why is CSign banned?

Anyway, I always wear BTE in public so ppl know Im deaf. When a person is talkin' to me and I didnt hear that person, the person will no take it personal b/c the person see my aid.

One time, I went canoing.I never wear my aid when I'm canoing. One day, amish girl on her canoe was talkin to me and I had to ignore her b/c I do not like to say Im sorry Im deaf.
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
Why is CSign banned?

Anyway, I always wear BTE in public so ppl know Im deaf. When a person is talkin' to me and I didnt hear that person, the person will no take it personal b/c the person see my aid.

One time, I went canoing.I never wear my aid when I'm canoing. One day, amish girl on her canoe was talkin to me and I had to ignore her b/c I do not like to say Im sorry Im deaf.
I hope one day - you'll make peace with your deafness
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
I hope one day - you'll make peace with your deafness
I'm very peaceful with my deafness. It's hard for them to believe me Im deaf just b/c I can barely talk. Know what Im saying. If Im not sure the person is talkin to me, I simply ignore. Nothin' wrong wit dat.
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
I'm very peaceful with my deafness. It's hard for them to believe me Im deaf just b/c I can barely talk. Know what Im saying. If Im not sure the person is talkin to me, I simply ignore. Nothin' wrong wit dat.
oh? so why do you keep getting frustrated and embarrassed about your HA? You were also frustrated about not finding a girl because of your HA.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafCaroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,889
The only times I avoid eye contact is when I don't want to get engaged into a conversation.

I had an argument with my best friend in Thailand in a very public place. I looked away to end it because I didn't want to argue publicly and especially in front of my son. My best friend thought I was being very rude and I had to later explain to her it was because I wanted to nip the fight in the bud before it escalated.

Growing up, I avoided eye contact to pretend I didn't hear my mother ask me to do the dishes. She never let me get away with that though, darn!
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 18,837
I will avoid eye contact if I'm in a bitchy mood, having a bad hair day or just too busy, running late and don't want to be bothered....

Not becuz of my deafness tho'....as just today, I was leaving the Groomers with my Dog, and this lady stopped me to admire my doggie "Anita"...and once she found out I was deaf, she signed to me...so the convo was real nice!...

I've no need to avoid people because of my deafness. Most of us want the hearing to accommodate us...and some do just that, others have no idea of how to do that and it's understandable (as for me it is). Just a friendly wave of Hi/Hello...and how are you should suffice...
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
oh? so why do you keep getting frustrated and embarrassed about your HA? You were also frustrated about not finding a girl because of your HA.
Do you have a gf? I doubt it.
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
Do you have a gf? I doubt it.
oh I see. Getting all defensive and lashing back.

To answer your question - no I don't because it was by choice. I ain't ready yet to settle down for "real relationship".

The difference between you and I is that I don't have any insecurity about my HA or deafness when it comes to meeting girls. You do. You get frustrated about it and you blame your HA for letting guys cockblock you from meeting girls.

I tell everybody that "I'm ddddddeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafffffffff. you cool with that?"
DeafBadger likes this.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
oh I see. Getting all defensive and lashing back.

To answer your question - no I don't because it was by choice. I ain't ready yet to settle down for "real relationship".

The difference between you and I is that I don't have any insecurity about my HA or deafness when it comes to meeting girls. You do. You get frustrated about it and you blame your HA for letting guys cockblock you from meeting girls.

I tell everybody that "I'm ddddddeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafffffffff. you cool with that?"
Stop taking personal shots at me. You dont read all of my posts and I can tell. Maybe you need to get a life. Over 30 posts a day in here? Dont tell me this forum is yo life.

EDIT: You actin like this, you must be really sexually frustrated
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
bloody phreak from hell
 
VamPyroX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 40.18, 58.41
Posts: 34,318
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
I don't try to avoid eye contact when I'm not wearing my hearing aids.

I just don't look at people in a way as if I want to start a conversation.
__________________
Check out my city... CLICK HERE!
(If you've already visited yesterday, visit again today!)
VamPyroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
Stop taking personal shots at me. You dont read all of my posts and I can tell. Maybe you need to get a life. Over 30 posts a day in here? Dont tell me this forum is yo life.

EDIT: You actin like this, you must be really sexually frustrated
it's ok. keep lashing out. make me feel like a small boy. I don't mind.

In case you don't see it - I'm trying to tell you to get over it and stop blaming your life problem on your HA.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
it's ok. keep lashing out. make me feel like a small boy. I don't mind.

In case you don't see it - I'm trying to tell you to get over it and stop blaming your life problem on your HA.
You sho' have a big mouth and stick to the topic. Aint hard!
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
You sho' have a big mouth and stick to the topic. Aint hard!
It's actually much easier to stop blaming your HA for your life problems than to stick to topic
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
You sho' have a big mouth and stick to the topic. Aint hard!
you should be respect to behavior I know you are careful on watch language proper your English! you are cool that all simply!
__________________
Smithtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Speedy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: England
Posts: 816
I only do it when I am no in mood for conversation, never do with my deafness.
Smithtr and rockin'robin like this.
Speedy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 23,896
hahah jiro has ways of getting girls so easily.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
hahah jiro has ways of getting girls so easily.
why is it that the girls I really like are lesbians???
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 18,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
why is it that the girls I really like are lesbians???
....could it be ur HA ??
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
why is it that the girls I really like are lesbians???
yo are boy
__________________
Smithtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtr View Post
you should be respect to behavior I know you are careful on watch language proper your English! you are cool that all simply!
I am careful with my language. I get yelled at. It's all fun,tho.
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 23,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
....could it be ur HA ??
yeah, probably!
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,927
I wind up with waiters who are terrified of eye contact.
FadedRose likes this.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In my time zone
Posts: 11,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
hahah jiro has ways of getting girls so easily.
Yes, because he gets lost in Boston and elsewhere.

JK !

Maybe he got lost with a girl!!!!! Do tell!!
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Doug5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 880
wearing ha's sometimes people assume you can hear them cuz you got ha's
Doug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Potterhead and Janeite
 
sallylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,652
Wirelessly posted (droid)

True. They believe that you'll understand them if they just keep shouting.
__________________
sallylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 18,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
Wirelessly posted (droid)

True. They believe that you'll understand them if they just keep shouting.
....One lady was practically "shouting" at me and her false teeth almost flew out....ahhh...it's a wonderful world!
sallylou, Cheetah and DeafBadger like this.
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.