AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #481 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
I know Cloggy!

My mom always said I have choice how to raise you - one to be handicapped or two to use your ability not your disability.

One thing you and jillio have agreed on is you both are/have raised your children not to be handicapped. You might not agree on the ways to raise your children, but each parent is different. So hats off to the two of you for not looking at your children's disability as an inability.
vallee.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #482 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
.........
What about you, Cloggy ? When you expect a child, would YOU want this child to be deaf ?
.............
Have a look at the first posts of this thread.... (march 2006)..... there's the answer...
__________________
.
The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.
. . . Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 - 1951)

Information about . . . . . . . . .
Lotte Sofie . . . . . . . . . How the ear works . . . . . . . . . Parents info . . . . . . . . . Nonsense/ Myths about CI here or here.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:54 AM   #483 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sara1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Little Rock,Ar
Posts: 7,361
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
no matter for me if i have baby one days and whatever which deaf or hearing of our children its god's choice and im sure i wanted nurse or doctors check-up on baby if deaf or not!
__________________


Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:14 AM   #484 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SweetOrchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to SweetOrchid Send a message via MSN to SweetOrchid Send a message via Yahoo to SweetOrchid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
One does not "sit at home" while collecting SSI. If you will see the explanations provided elsewhere in this forum, unless you are a child who receives SSI payments through age 18, then you must either be a full time student or training for a job, or be employed at least part time while looking for full time employment. SSI is temporary assistance.

You are correct about "Sit at home", but as for rest of other things that you said and I'm over 18 and will be 32 next Saturday and I have never receive any assistance from SSI. I work my first job at age 20 at family business for 4years, then at age 24 I work at nursing home for 6 years. My last job was temporary agency for short time 6 months, then I quit to go back school to get my GED.

I only receive is tax-free settlement from the hospital that my mom sued for malpractice when I was 2 1/2 years old when they misdiagnosed me for something else. So that is set to pay me for life. I do not receive SSI, SSDI, SSA, Medicare or Food Stamps.

I know few friends who stated "I would rather to sit home and collect from government." That's how they said it like that and I told them that it won't last them that long. Unless you go out and get part time job working somewhere, and the sad part is that they can't be hired is because NO HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED. I know few of them just spend their WHOLE SSI check in ONE DAY! and what else can they live off on??

I apologize that I misquoted on "Sit at Home" comment.
__________________
MystiQuelle Orchid
SweetOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #485 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOrchid View Post
You are correct about "Sit at home", but as for rest of other things that you said and I'm over 18 and will be 32 next Saturday and I have never receive any assistance from SSI. I work my first job at age 20 at family business for 4years, then at age 24 I work at nursing home for 6 years. My last job was temporary agency for short time 6 months, then I quit to go back school to get my GED.

I only receive is tax-free settlement from the hospital that my mom sued for malpractice when I was 2 1/2 years old when they misdiagnosed me for something else. So that is set to pay me for life. I do not receive SSI, SSDI, SSA, Medicare or Food Stamps.

I know few friends who stated "I would rather to sit home and collect from government." That's how they said it like that and I told them that it won't last them that long. Unless you go out and get part time job working somewhere, and the sad part is that they can't be hired is because NO HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED. I know few of them just spend their WHOLE SSI check in ONE DAY! and what else can they live off on??

I apologize that I misquoted on "Sit at Home" comment.
There is no need to aplogize. I didn't mean to pick on you. I just get tired of the attitude that the other poster had presented saying that all deaf peole live off of government assistance and don't work. I was only pointing out that SSI and SSDI are not as easy to get as some people think they are. And that not all deaf people get any kind of government assistance.....just like you: you work to earn your money. Sorry that it sounded like I was picking on you.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #486 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,252
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
No,
what Lantana ment was that when a d/Deaf person says that deafness is not a disability, that he/she is not disabled, then he/she should not use the SSI/SSDI system.
Cloggy, I agree with u on that statement. However, I was responding to Latanta's comment (see below)

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. '

She said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense. That is a lie right there.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #487 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Cloggy, I agree with u on that statement. However, I was responding to Latanta's comment (see below)

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. '

She said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense. That is a lie right there.
And a stereotypical judgement.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #488 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Miss-Delectable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 17,173
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
Wow you really got me on that one. I see my hearing loss as a disability. I don't think of myself as disabled.

I have a skill, I have a degree, I do have a career. I guess that empowers me. I also am independent. I felt this way with HA and I feel more so with my CIs.
I concur with your statement. I don't think of myself as disabled, but my hearing. Although I know there are many people out there who see us as disabled even though, we do not see it that way ourselves.

Good post.
__________________
"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."
- Helen Keller
Miss-Delectable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:14 AM   #489 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via AIM to vallee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-Delectable View Post
I concur with your statement. I don't think of myself as disabled, but my hearing. Although I know there are many people out there who see us as disabled even though, we do not see it that way ourselves.
Good post.
Thank you. Oh, I see these people everyday. I feel sorry for them that they can't take time to see past the "ears." They can learn so much from us deaf/HOH and our families. But these are the same people who judge any disability as a handicap. The problem is these people are know just the "trash" of society, some are the educated and in positions of power.
__________________
Right and Left Implanted July 19, 2007
Activated August 9, 2007
Both Advanced Bionics Harmony
vallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #490 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
Thank you. Oh, I see these people everyday. I feel sorry for them that they can't take time to see past the "ears." They can learn so much from us deaf/HOH and our families. But these are the same people who judge any disability as a handicap. The problem is these people are know just the "trash" of society, some are the educated and in positions of power.


That, unfortunately, is very true and very frightening, as their practices perpetuate the myths.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #491 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
[/B]

That, unfortunately, is very true and very frightening, as their practices perpetuate the myths.
Indeed.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #492 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Puyallup, Washington
Posts: 1,570
Smile

Of course, I would love a deaf child. However, it that child was hearing i'd love him or her just the same as a deaf child.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.