AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #421 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,017
I wouldn't want kids but if I did I would be happy to have a deaf child or a blind child.
__________________
I speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.
http://www.fightfoca.com/
dreama is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 12-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #422 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Hear Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20,122
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreama View Post
I wouldn't want kids but if I did I would be happy to have a deaf child or a blind child.
Same here. While chidren are not in my immediate future, I wouldn't be opposed to having a deaf, blind or deafblind child.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #423 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Lantana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oregon Coast/Washington Coast/Hawaii
Posts: 400
Deaf Child By Choice ?

If you had a hairlip and a cleft palate would you want your child to have the same?

Why purposely breed for imperfect children? So that the whole family can live off of SSI and Welfare?

I can understand ADOPTING an imperfect child, they certainly need the love and security that we have to offer, but to purposely plan and target a child to be deaf? No! Utter stupidity to suggest it.

IF I gave birth to a deaf child, or IF my own children did, or even my great grandchildren did, they would be accepted with love and understanding. But I would not WISH deafness on anyone!

Lantana
__________________


"The best things in life are not things."
Lantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #424 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
If you had a hairlip and a cleft palate would you want your child to have the same?

Why purposely breed for imperfect children? So that the whole family can live off of SSI and Welfare?

I can understand ADOPTING an imperfect child, they certainly need the love and security that we have to offer, but to purposely plan and target a child to be deaf? No! Utter stupidity to suggest it.

IF I gave birth to a deaf child, or IF my own children did, or even my great grandchildren did, they would be accepted with love and understanding. But I would not WISH deafness on anyone!

Lantana
I personally don't see deaf chidlren as imperfect. And then to imply that Deaf families all live off of welfare and SSI is absolutely absurd. Are you being intentionall insulting, or do you just have a problem with pragmatics?
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #425 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Lantana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oregon Coast/Washington Coast/Hawaii
Posts: 400
Well, if being deaf is NOT being imperfect, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability.

Lantana
__________________


"The best things in life are not things."
Lantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #426 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Perhaps:
"If being deaf is NOT a disability, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability."
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #427 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
Well, if being deaf is NOT being imperfect, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability.

Lantana
So hearing people are perfect? And disability is not an imperfection....it is a disability. Your phrasing implies that without the disability, perfection has been achieved. I find that disturbing, in particular for the message it gives to a disabled child.

And, exactly where do you get yoru figures regarding "a few million deaf people" and disability payments. Exactly what kind of disability payments are you talking about? And where do your figures come from?
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #428 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
Perhaps:
"If being deaf is NOT a disability, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability."
I never said it wasn't considered a disabiltiy....what I said was it did not make a child "imperfect." As the parent of a deaf child, do you consider your deaf daughter to be imperfect and your hearing children to be perfect?

Think about what you are responding to cloggy, rather than just jumping in because you see my name pon the post.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #429 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
I never said it wasn't considered a disabiltiy....what I said was it did not make a child "imperfect." As the parent of a deaf child, do you consider your deaf daughter to be imperfect and your hearing children to be perfect?

Think about what you are responding to cloggy, rather than just jumping in because you see my name pon the post.
I wasn't responding to you, it was in responsed to Lantana's post.

You might have the idea that everything is about you... in the real world, it is NOT!

No apology expected..
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #430 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
I wasn't responding to you, it was in responsed to Lantana's post.

You might have the idea that everything is about you... in the real world, it is NOT!

No apology expected..
None offered. And once again, you manage not to answer questions.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #431 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,307
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
If you had a hairlip and a cleft palate would you want your child to have the same?

Why purposely breed for imperfect children?
So that the whole family can live off of SSI and Welfare?

I can understand ADOPTING an imperfect child, they certainly need the love and security that we have to offer, but to purposely plan and target a child to be deaf? No! Utter stupidity to suggest it.

IF I gave birth to a deaf child, or IF my own children did, or even my great grandchildren did, they would be accepted with love and understanding. But I would not WISH deafness on anyone!

Lantana

Whoa!!! deaf children are imperfect???
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #432 (permalink)
Prayers for my dad.
 
Cheri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
Well, if being deaf is NOT being imperfect, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability.

Lantana
Hearing people are imperfection too, have you noticed there's some hearing people with disabilities. there's learning disability, there's reading disability, I could go on but I'm sure you got my point. Let's not forget there's some hearing people on welfare.

no one is perfect in this entire world, Lantana.
__________________
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #433 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via AIM to vallee
It took 8 years for my husband and I to have our wonderful daughter. I remember in-laws asking could my child be deaf/HOH. They were very worried about it, to the point that I refused to see them or have them at my house. My husband and I stated it did not matter because our child would be loved no matter if she had health issues or hearing issues. She was perfect to us and she is.

A child is a gift from God- each and every child. And everyday I look into the my child's eyes and thank God for allowing me the joy of being her mom. It would not matter if she was deaf/hoh or not.
__________________
Right and Left Implanted July 19, 2007
Activated August 9, 2007
Both Advanced Bionics Harmony
vallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #434 (permalink)
Prayers for my dad.
 
Cheri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
It took 8 years for my husband and I to have our wonderful daughter. I remember in-laws asking could my child be deaf/HOH. They were very worried about it, to the point that I refused to see them or have them at my house. My husband and I stated it did not matter because our child would be loved no matter if she had health issues or hearing issues. She was perfect to us and she is.

A child is a gift from God- each and every child. And everyday I look into the my child's eyes and thank God for allowing me the joy of being her mom. It would not matter if she was deaf/hoh or not.
Beautifully said.
__________________
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #435 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,307
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
It took 8 years for my husband and I to have our wonderful daughter. I remember in-laws asking could my child be deaf/HOH. They were very worried about it, to the point that I refused to see them or have them at my house. My husband and I stated it did not matter because our child would be loved no matter if she had health issues or hearing issues. She was perfect to us and she is.

A child is a gift from God- each and every child. And everyday I look into the my child's eyes and thank God for allowing me the joy of being her mom. It would not matter if she was deaf/hoh or not.
Dont blame u. I remember when my mom was with her ex boyfriend and she was pregnant with my 2nd brother. I was 16 at the time. I remember him badgering my mom about how the baby better not be deaf like my brother and I are. He just kept going on and on about it and I remember feeling this worse shame about myself cuz I thought that was all how hearing people saw us, deaf people. It was awful. I am sure he made my mom feel like crap too.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #436 (permalink)
Prayers for my dad.
 
Cheri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Dont blame u. I remember when my mom was with her ex boyfriend and she was pregnant with my 2nd brother. I was 16 at the time. I remember him badgering my mom about how the baby better not be deaf like my brother and I are. He just kept going on and on about it and I remember feeling this worse shame about myself cuz I thought that was all how hearing people saw us, deaf people. It was awful. I am sure he made my mom feel like crap too.
My mom was the same way, in fact after my first child was born, she had a nerve to call in the hospital to ask if her grandson was either deaf or hearing, and if he was deaf then she wasn't gonna come, she wanted the doctor to do a hearing test before she comes to the hospital to see her grandson.
__________________
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #437 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Lantana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oregon Coast/Washington Coast/Hawaii
Posts: 400
I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana
__________________


"The best things in life are not things."
Lantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #438 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via AIM to vallee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana

All I can go on is my experiences, I have not had SSI. I work. I have private insurance and support my family. I went to college. so not all deaf people live at the governments expenses.

there are many people in need of government assistances, it was created to assist.
__________________
Right and Left Implanted July 19, 2007
Activated August 9, 2007
Both Advanced Bionics Harmony
vallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #439 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana
This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time. If you are going to make accusations such as that, you certainly need to be prepared to back them up with statistics and citations.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #440 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
All I can go on is my experiences, I have not had SSI. I work. I have private insurance and support my family. I went to college. so not all deaf people live at the governments expenses.

there are many people in need of government assistances, it was created to assist.
Exactly. In fact, the vast majority of those who receive disability disbursements in the form of SSI or SSDI are not deaf.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #441 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,307
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana

I dont live off on SSI...I have a full time job and I pay my taxes so your point is????
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #442 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time. If you are going to make accusations such as that, you certainly need to be prepared to back them up with statistics and citations.
Jillio, can you back up your statement "This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time" with statistics and citations?
__________________
.
The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.
. . . Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 - 1951)

Information about . . . . . . . . .
Lotte Sofie . . . . . . . . . How the ear works . . . . . . . . . Parents info . . . . . . . . . Nonsense/ Myths about CI here or here.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #443 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,307
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
Jillio, can you back up your statement "This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time" with statistics and citations?
If all deaf people were living off on SSI now, then my coworkers and I wouldnt be working now. What more statistics do u need?
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #444 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via AIM to vallee
I found the statement upseting. I fill out a lot of paperwork for children getting SSI and all have development disabilities and they need the assistances.
__________________
Right and Left Implanted July 19, 2007
Activated August 9, 2007
Both Advanced Bionics Harmony
vallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #445 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
[QUOTE=Cloggy;884946]Jillio, can you back up your statement "This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time" with statistics and citations?[/QUOTE

I can most certainly back it up through statistics, and those statistics are readily available from the Social Security Administration. But we are talking government assistance that is specific to the U.S. so you are simply jumping into an argument for arguments' sake.

And to say that all deaf people are living off of government funds is absolutely a bigoted comment. It speaks for itself. And, its innacurracy is obvious.

Additionally, it is not my postion to disprove the claims that another has made. Lantana made the claims, it is up to Lantana to support them.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #446 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
I found the statement upseting. I fill out a lot of paperwork for children getting SSI and all have development disabilities and they need the assistances.
Absolutely, vallee. My son has never recieved a penny of SSI, nor SSDI.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #447 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 975
Send a message via AIM to RosesNY Send a message via Yahoo to RosesNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana View Post
I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana
The deaf person is not the only one have SSI too hearing person have SSI too
RosesNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #448 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesNY View Post
The deaf person is not the only one have SSI too hearing person have SSI too
Point is: if someone is not handicapped then they should not have SSI.!
__________________
.
The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.
. . . Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 - 1951)

Information about . . . . . . . . .
Lotte Sofie . . . . . . . . . How the ear works . . . . . . . . . Parents info . . . . . . . . . Nonsense/ Myths about CI here or here.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #449 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,307
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
Point is: if someone is not handicapped then they should not have SSI.!
Well, there are many able bodied and able minded people collecting welfare. Sure, some deaf people abuse the SSI and SSDI system and I dont agree with it. However, what Latanta said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense is a blatant lie.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #450 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cloggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Well, there are many able bodied and able minded people collecting welfare. Sure, some deaf people abuse the SSI and SSDI system and I dont agree with it. However, what Latanta said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense is a blatant lie.
No,
what Lantana ment was that when a d/Deaf person says that deafness is not a disability, that he/she is not disabled, then he/she should not use the SSI/SSDI system.
__________________
.
The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.
. . . Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 - 1951)

Information about . . . . . . . . .
Lotte Sofie . . . . . . . . . How the ear works . . . . . . . . . Parents info . . . . . . . . . Nonsense/ Myths about CI here or here.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.