AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1
How do deaf people learn to read?

I have not been able to find research on how deaf people learn to read English. Some people have told me that they learn to read by learning whole words rather than decoding each letter like hearing people do, since they do not need to associate the letter with a sound. I would greatly appreciate any help on this or further direction!
GradGrl913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 03-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Boult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Tucson
Posts: 4,428
Have you seen this thread yet?

How do children learn to read?
__________________
Boult
I am a CI Borg, Proud to be and loving it!
MYTHS AND LIES ABOUT CI / Paleo and Primal Lifestyle / Get a Mac
Quote:
I find that when I'm channel surfing, Fox News is like that carton of milk way past its expiration date, taunting you from the back of the refrigerator. You KNOW it's gonna smell, but still you open it up and take a whiff. by: bc68251 on February 21, 2006
Boult is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
♥"Concrete Angel"♥
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 19,089
Quote:
Some people have told me that they learn to read by learning whole words rather than decoding each letter like hearing people do, since they do not need to associate the letter with a sound.

Not quite true, mostly all school have speech therapist in case children have delay in speech and language, this applies to all kind of children such as Deaf, hearing and hard of hearing...Speech therapist will spend time with your child to learn about her/his speech and language by saying the sounds of the word correctly by feeling the sounds that coming out of the speech therapist mouth, as when I had speech therapist at school most of my life, she would take my hand and put it close to her mouth and I could feel the sounds that coming from her mouth, then she would take my hand and put it near my mouth and feel the same sounds as I felt, then I learn how to be able to read words and say them correctly ,Really there's no different between hearing and deaf learning how to read, the only thing that is different is a hearing child could hear but with deaf children they need their hands to feel the sounds....
__________________
"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is brought in our life, OR in the life of another." ~ Helen Keller
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Rose Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,254
I apologize if this sounds stupid, but what exactly is it that you recognize by touch that helps you know if you're getting the sounds right?
Rose Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
♥"Concrete Angel"♥
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 19,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Immortal
I apologize if this sounds stupid, but what exactly is it that you recognize by touch that helps you know if you're getting the sounds right?

Please don't apologize, it's doesn't sound stupid nor is a stupid question either...It just like some deaf people can not hear music, in order to be able to hear the sounds of music, we feel and sense vibration from the ground or touching a solid object which will transmit the vibrations, with speech therapist to help recognize the sounds of letters by feeling the vibration, first what she would do is take my hand and touch her throat and she would say a letter for example such as " a ", then I will feel the sense vibration of the sound of the letter " a ", then she will take my hand and put it near her mouth to feel the " a " sounds that coming out of her mouth, then I try it by touching my throat with my hand and feel the vibration sound of the letter " a " , if it's not sound out correctly, we will repeating do it again until I get it right, touch helps feel and sense vibration of each letters once we are able to relized the sound of each letters then we are able to learn how to read and to say out the word correctly..... I hope this helps answering your question here...
__________________
"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is brought in our life, OR in the life of another." ~ Helen Keller
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Rose Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,254
Thanks for being so kind!

I always worry that out of ignorance, I'm going to ask something that will offend people without my meaning to. Or that I'll just sound like I have only half a brain.

I can't really tell much through vibrations about a sound other than where it's coming from. About the only reason that I've had to try that is to determine whether it's my next-door or downstairs neighbors who have their stereo up WAY too loud at 2 in the morning! (That way I don't report the wrong apartment and make enemies!)

As I understand it, it's pitch that determines the way sound vibrations feel. Wouldn't an "a" said at one pitch be very different from one said in a higher or lower pitch? That's what I don't really understand.
Rose Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
♥"Concrete Angel"♥
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 19,089
You're welcome ...


Higher or lower pitch are produced either in the form of a short or long sound, for example, there's the short A sound and a long A sound....when feeling the difference on the throat and then feeling that coming from the speech therapist's mouth. For the long A sound, the vibrations will last longer and would be a higher pitch than the short A sound, again the vibrations for the short A sound would be much shorter.... Learning and developing these variances has helped me to be able to recognize the differences in words. Maybe you could try it yourself and feel your own throat and notice the differences with the different pitches and vibrations and then you may understand this concept better...
__________________
"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is brought in our life, OR in the life of another." ~ Helen Keller
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mattmgolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: working
Posts: 156
Just read, use dictionary, the better language will. I know it may be pain in the a$$ we are in a small world in the hearing world because English is the primary language so I highly recommend to read build your own character identity, then it will eventually get better. If you already know that please disregard.
mattmgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
bloody phreak from hell
 
VamPyroX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 40.18, 58.41
Posts: 34,318
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Umm... how do hearing people learn to read? I can't think of any different answer.
__________________
Check out my city... CLICK HERE!
(If you've already visited yesterday, visit again today!)
VamPyroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 44,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPyroX
Umm... how do hearing people learn to read? I can't think of any different answer.
The preferred way for hearing people to learn how to read is by using phonics. We learn the sounds of the individual letters and letter combinations, and then sound out the words out loud. That is also how we learn to spell.

Some hearing kids were taught how to read using the "whole language" approach but that wasn't as successful. They would learn word lists, and try to figure out words from the context or using pictures. It depended a lot on memorizing lists of words instead of sounding them out.

Some schools now use a combination of phonics and whole language.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
moonflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washtenaw County, Michigan
Posts: 5,762
my mom taught me how to read and she was english teacher before i was born

and my favorite teacher also taught me how to read too
moonflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Rose Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba
The preferred way for hearing people to learn how to read is by using phonics. We learn the sounds of the individual letters and letter combinations, and then sound out the words out loud. That is also how we learn to spell.

Some hearing kids were taught how to read using the "whole language" approach but that wasn't as successful. They would learn word lists, and try to figure out words from the context or using pictures. It depended a lot on memorizing lists of words instead of sounding them out.

Some schools now use a combination of phonics and whole language.
And then some of us are just quirky.

I didn't learn to speak properly until I learned to read...I couldn't tell the difference between a question addressed to me, and the statement I was supposed to give in return, for instance. I also couldn't tell the difference between "he" and "she" and a lot of other stuff.

Thankfully my mother was an early childhood education major, and recognized very early on that I needed some sort of intervention. So at 2 1/2, she started teaching me to read. For some reason, seeing sentences written down got everything through to me. To this day I still think in written words first, and only then does my mind read the sentence "aloud". I didn't understand this was unusual, when I was little...I couldn't understand why other children had trouble on spelling tests because all the teacher had to do was say the word and it appeared in my mind automatically upon hearing it, just like that. Taking a spelling test was almost like a copying exercise for me.

I'm not sure why this was...my mom thinks it was my ADHD, that I simply did not pay attention to verbal communication for long enough times to get it. Maybe coupling the spoken word with the written word made the experience "demanding" enough of my mind that I was fully engaged with it? I don't know. I just know I'm weird.
Rose Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Post Cueing for Literacy

Quote:
It was the search to solve the problem of the low literacy levels of many Deaf children that led to the creation of Cued Speech in 1966 by R. Orin Cornett, Ph.D. Forty years later, experience and research have proven that individuals who receive language consistently through Cued Speech are able to reach the same language and literacy levels as they would without a hearing loss. Cueing provides dynamic visual access to the phonemic base of language, making learning to read easier (see “An Aid to Literacy,”). In addition, many late-deafened adults are finding Cued Speech an essential tool in maintaining fluid communication with their mates, friends and family
http://www.drf.org/hearing_health/ar...cuedspeech.htm
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mrtn_cainuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Manchester in UK
Posts: 67
Send a message via Yahoo to mrtn_cainuk
I do reads Shakepeare very much and I like Macbeth because it is full of murder and greed. I was learned to read properly when I was in an mainstream school many years ago. Well, I started it when I was 12 years old.
mrtn_cainuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Endymion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere within the geographical proximity of sanity.
Posts: 1,383
Magic.

Or do you want research papers?
Endymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 13,901
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
I can't really tell much through vibrations about a sound other than where it's coming from.
That's b/c you're hearing......Sound is basicly just audiable vibration. It's weird....most of what I "hear" I feel....and I've been told I'm an awesome dancer b/c I'm a lot more sensetive to the beat, then hearing people are.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: High desert in Calif
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Angel^
Not quite true, mostly all school have speech therapist in case children have delay in speech and language, this applies to all kind of children such as Deaf, hearing and hard of hearing...Speech therapist will spend time with your child to learn about her/his speech and language by saying the sounds of the word correctly by feeling the sounds that coming out of the speech therapist mouth, as when I had speech therapist at school most of my life, she would take my hand and put it close to her mouth and I could feel the sounds that coming from her mouth, then she would take my hand and put it near my mouth and feel the same sounds as I felt, then I learn how to be able to read words and say them correctly ,Really there's no different between hearing and deaf learning how to read, the only thing that is different is a hearing child could hear but with deaf children they need their hands to feel the sounds....
Not work for me, feeling the sound to learn how to read. I use my eyes to learn to read.
jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
♥"Concrete Angel"♥
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 19,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy
Not work for me, feeling the sound to learn how to read. I use my eyes to learn to read.

I don't believe you read my post clearly, but my question is to you is how are you able to hear the sounds of each letter to be able to produce the entire word when you are learning how to read?....If you just use your eyes to read, then how do you really know you're saying the word correctly? most hearing kids use their ears to hear the sounds, do you hear the sounds that comes out of your parent's mouth, teacher? or using phonics? to hear you recognize the sounds of each letter or words?


Kids dont just look at the word and just guess, they need to recognize the sounds of the letter by being able to produce the words out correctly then they are able to read

My little one is in kindergarten, we are to teach him the sounds of each letter in order for him to recognize on how to produce the entire word correctly, for example if one of the word say " fish " he will have to recognize the " f " sound and be able to try to say the word " fish " by reading each letter and knowing the sound of them by being able to produce the entire word in order to be able to read that's how kids read, not just by looking at the word otherwise the kids will have a diffcult time learning how to read ....


My little one is starting to recognize the sounds of each letter, sometimes he having diffcult time saying the entire word all together, but he will in time once he recognize every sounds of each letter, then he would be able to read the words in the book without feeling frustrated, sounds do help children be able to produce the word correctly without having to guess it....At my son's school they are using phonics and it does help them develop their reading skills... .
__________________
"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is brought in our life, OR in the life of another." ~ Helen Keller
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Rose Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Angel^
You're welcome ...


Higher or lower pitch are produced either in the form of a short or long sound, for example, there's the short A sound and a long A sound....when feeling the difference on the throat and then feeling that coming from the speech therapist's mouth. For the long A sound, the vibrations will last longer and would be a higher pitch than the short A sound, again the vibrations for the short A sound would be much shorter.... Learning and developing these variances has helped me to be able to recognize the differences in words. Maybe you could try it yourself and feel your own throat and notice the differences with the different pitches and vibrations and then you may understand this concept better...
Tried that little experiment.

I caught what you meant about the duration of the sound. Interestingly enough until that I hadn't believed my English teachers who said there actually was a difference in duration between long and short vowels!

Then I tried the Spanish "e" and the German "ae", and that threw me off again.
Rose Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
IceCream
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflower
my mom taught me how to read and she was english teacher before i was born

and my favorite teacher also taught me how to read too
I learned to read with one person teaching me alone. I guess pretty much like with phonics.

Quote:
...I couldn't understand why other children had trouble on spelling tests because all the teacher had to do was say the word and it appeared in my mind automatically upon hearing it, just like that. Taking a spelling test was almost like a copying exercise for me.
No, you're not weird. I was the same way. I couldn't understand why in the world teachers gave kindergarten spelling tests, but it wasn't kindergarten spelling tests to the hearing students. It was a bore when teachers would review the grades and spellings afterwards.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Rose Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream
No, you're not weird. I was the same way. I couldn't understand why in the world teachers gave kindergarten spelling tests, but it wasn't kindergarten spelling tests to the hearing students. It was a bore when teachers would review the grades and spellings afterwards.
LOL, I kinda felt the same way! I didn't realize how rare it was until when I was in 4th grade and made 2nd place in the state spelling bee. The next year, in 5th grade, my teacher told me I'd had an average of 99.5 on homework and 99.6 on tests for the year in spelling. The way she'd said it, I'm not sure she'd seen anything like that before.
Rose Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Liza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 4,367
Blog Entries: 2
I'm not sure how I "learned" how to read, but I think I learned by memory association. I read a lot as a kid. I never learned that phonetic stuff, and didn't fare so well in speech therapy.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
A couple of articles...

“How Do Profoundly Deaf Children Learn to Read?” Susan Goldin-Meadow (University of Chicago) ; Rachel I. Mayberry (McGill University)

Sign Language Studies n75 p97-112 sum 1992
“Deafness & Literacy: Why Can’t Sam Read?” ; Erting, Carol J
Bodhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 32
Well, now that I think about it, I can't really remember. I remember going to see a speech therapist at school. I could speak, not really well(and still can't speak very well). I just remember a lot of word and phonics cards and pictures cards. I also remember learning to lip read. The speech person knew some ASL and I knew a little bit too, so we communicated pretty well. Something I really remember is when some girl with her group tried to get me to talk and I said something and they started giggling and I didn't want to talk anymore. I got over it eventually, but anyway, I don't think it is at all very different from the way hearing people learn how to read.

And @Angel, I remember doing the hand thing sometimes too. Sometimes she would point to her mouth and give me a mirror so I could see myself try to copy her.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Immortal View Post
And then some of us are just quirky.

I didn't learn to speak properly until I learned to read...I couldn't tell the difference between a question addressed to me, and the statement I was supposed to give in return, for instance. I also couldn't tell the difference between "he" and "she" and a lot of other stuff.

Thankfully my mother was an early childhood education major, and recognized very early on that I needed some sort of intervention. So at 2 1/2, she started teaching me to read. For some reason, seeing sentences written down got everything through to me. To this day I still think in written words first, and only then does my mind read the sentence "aloud". I didn't understand this was unusual, when I was little...I couldn't understand why other children had trouble on spelling tests because all the teacher had to do was say the word and it appeared in my mind automatically upon hearing it, just like that. Taking a spelling test was almost like a copying exercise for me.

I'm not sure why this was...my mom thinks it was my ADHD, that I simply did not pay attention to verbal communication for long enough times to get it. Maybe coupling the spoken word with the written word made the experience "demanding" enough of my mind that I was fully engaged with it? I don't know. I just know I'm weird.
The way that you learn has to do with how your brain is wired. Some people are visual learners, others learn by hearing, and still others learn best by doing.

It sounds to me like your brain is wired to learn by seeing. When you couple the seeing of a word with the concept behind it, your brain made the connections.

I used to know a girl who could hear a song and play it on the piano, she learned everything by hearing it. I like to see things too. If I don't see the definition with it, it takes me a lot longer to put it together.
aRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
BecLak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,263
"I didn't learn to speak properly until I learned to read...I couldn't tell the difference between a question addressed to me, and the statement I was supposed to give in return, for instance. I also couldn't tell the difference between "he" and "she" and a lot of other stuff."

You are not the only one. I too, didn't learn to speak properly until I learned to read. I remember vividly when I was five or six, seeing the words and realising I had it all wrong. I went to intensive speech therapy as well.
BecLak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
WeeBeastie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
I don't believe you read my post clearly, but my question is to you is how are you able to hear the sounds of each letter to be able to produce the entire word when you are learning how to read?....If you just use your eyes to read, then how do you really know you're saying the word correctly? most hearing kids use their ears to hear the sounds, do you hear the sounds that comes out of your parent's mouth, teacher? or using phonics? to hear you recognize the sounds of each letter or words?


Kids dont just look at the word and just guess, they need to recognize the sounds of the letter by being able to produce the words out correctly then they are able to read

My little one is in kindergarten, we are to teach him the sounds of each letter in order for him to recognize on how to produce the entire word correctly, for example if one of the word say " fish " he will have to recognize the " f " sound and be able to try to say the word " fish " by reading each letter and knowing the sound of them by being able to produce the entire word in order to be able to read that's how kids read, not just by looking at the word otherwise the kids will have a diffcult time learning how to read ....


My little one is starting to recognize the sounds of each letter, sometimes he having diffcult time saying the entire word all together, but he will in time once he recognize every sounds of each letter, then he would be able to read the words in the book without feeling frustrated, sounds do help children be able to produce the word correctly without having to guess it....At my son's school they are using phonics and it does help them develop their reading skills... .
Many deaf people don't need to learn what a word sounds like to learn to read it. They learn words, not sounds, and associate those words with signs. There is no sound. Phonetics are not used and not at all important, sometimes even considered a waste of time. No, they don't just look and guess. They learn the vocabulary. They learn this arrangement of letters = this meaning... just like they learned a certain hand motion = this meaning in sign.

If you don't use speech and can not hear it, what good is it to try to learn how a word sounds? Don't even try to factor in all the silent letters and quirky spellings in the English language.

The great thing about this method, IMHO, is that the kids focus on what the word means and how to use it, rather than how it sounds.

I also have a little one, as you can see in my signature. She doesn't take speech and will not be relying on it to learn to read. She can only hear about 8-10 phonetic sounds anyway. Rather, she's getting extra help becoming fluent in ASL so that when it's time to learn all those big, bad vocabulary words, she'll have a language to be taught in.

As long as English is complete in it's written form, there's no need to use sound to learn it.
__________________
WeeBeastie
Hearing mom with a Deaf child
3y/o profound and aided Bi-bi student
WeeBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.