AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6
How did you become hearing impaired? How has it affected your life?

Hi everyone. I'm doing a project where i must inhabit the life of a deaf person. I need accounts from people who are deaf about what the experience is like and how they feel about it. I'm pretty desperate because i havent been able to get anyone to talk about it but the project is 25% of my grade. I would really really appreciate any kind of response. Thank you!
Tigerlilli0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 03-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gemtun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlilli0
Hi everyone. I'm doing a project where i must inhabit the life of a deaf person. I need accounts from people who are deaf about what the experience is like and how they feel about it. I'm pretty desperate because i havent been able to get anyone to talk about it but the project is 25% of my grade. I would really really appreciate any kind of response. Thank you!
Are you talking about people who became deaf later in life or it can include people born deaf at birth?

I dont mind helping you out in this case.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6
I'm talking about either one. In fact you don't even have to be fully deaf...

to help. The project is about the hearing impaired, which is pretty broad.
Tigerlilli0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,047
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Well first of all, please don't use the term hearing impaired. Use the term deaf or hard of hearing. Hearing impaired sounds like we're broken....besides being dhh isn't the same as being hearing impaitred. Yes, we live without hearing but would you call a woman Y chromosome impaired or penis impaired? Same thing applies.
It's hard to articulate exactly what it's like to be deaf. This is the only experiance that I have ever known. I don't know what it's like to be hearing the same way that I have no idear what it's like to be a male. My experiance growing up was just like anyone else's. I wasn't coddled or protected b/c I am disabled. I was raised just the same as my siblings. The only difference between me and the majority is that I read lips, wear hearing aids and sign. I loved New Kids On the Block, and foursquare, and horses.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
DeafDyke, let's not get all politically correct here.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,477
Hey I am not Hearing Impaired. Hence the word "Impaired" means broke. This gives hearing false sense that whatever is broken should be fixed! But of course! I am deaf, PERIOD. I do not want my hearing to be fixed! I have been in silence from the moment my mom and dad form the first cell of me!

DHB
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
javapride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: hawaii
Posts: 6,515
Being born Deaf and accepting myself as who i am took a while, but the main issue was the love and support i got from my family, the life we shared is the life we see, i have what i belive in visionablity and im granted forunte for this, being deaf was hard at first because i didn't understand it a first i thought i was punished because my family was mocking the deaf ( my real dad) but now i relize i was born deaf for a reason, god gave me a reason to see the beauty of life, thru my only good eye, and to be able to understand and communicate in every way of life. sure it was fustrating at first always depending on my family for interpeting at stores or food places back then ofc at dr's office but i always did things for myself and made myself who i am today..... life wasn't easy but surving came naturally to me because i knew i could do it . i hope this helps somewhat...
javapride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker65
Hey I am not Hearing Impaired. Hence the word "Impaired" means broke. This gives hearing false sense that whatever is broken should be fixed! But of course! I am deaf, PERIOD. I do not want my hearing to be fixed! I have been in silence from the moment my mom and dad form the first cell of me!

DHB
Again, let's not get politically correct here.

The definition of Impaired goes like this,

Quote:
1 - Diminished, damaged, or weakened
2- Functioning poorly or incompetently
3- Having a physical or mental disability
Dictionary.com

Nowhere in the definition does it say the word, broken in the definition. This is exactly what I mean by Deaf militants spreading a bunch of misinformation.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tikra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 829
Well at first, I became HOH (Hard Of Hearing) early at 2 years old which cause my hearing to decrease by high fever and ear infection. I can hear some with wearing hearing aid like when parents calling my name and some words too until 6th grade, I had other ear infection but not high fever. That 2nd ear infection cause my hearing to decrease little more but by the years gone by until about 11th to 12th grade, I became full deaf which I dont need hearing aid anymore since it didnt help any.

Oh yes it affect my life big time, image being deaf in hearing family is pretty hard. You would not know what going on with family without depend on some of relatives who know how to use sign language or writing communication. I am not that real close to most of relatives except my brother and my parents (mostly my mother). I have always ask them what other says or ask what going on. Sometimes that drive them nuts but they need to understand that I cant hear and cant read lips that well (I can read lips some depend on lip movement). I dont go over to my family relatives' place without my brother or my mother because they are not interesting in talk to me without my brother or mother. YES I know they are too lazy for this oppunity. I usually ask them to write down what they say when I dont understand (mostly at work) only when you have oppunity to have paper and pen with you.

You got to understand that it kinda of HARD for them to look for a job that fit them very well. MOST of jobs required COMMUNICATION such as answering phones or talk to customers. Lot of companies would turn you down because of that issue with communication. YES it the law that they cant discrimate against you for being deaf and cant be hired for certain jobs. So, Just try put yourself in deaf person's shoe and see how big difference between deaf and hearing world.
__________________

We shall bring Hell who ever confront us
Tikra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
The*Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on Plantation.
Posts: 6,931
I ain't gonna allow hearing problem, and I ain't afraid of gay people, I ain't afraid of Nobody, I ain't afraid of MEN, I ain't gonna allow my Treacher Collins Syndrome or anything to stop me from achieveing my goal and dream.

Believe me, I will do whatever I have to, to get what I want.
The*Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Oceanbreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: S. FL
Posts: 9,991
Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss*Pinocchio
I ain't gonna allow hearing problem, and I ain't afraid of gay people, I ain't afraid of Nobody, I ain't afraid of MEN, I ain't gonna allow my Treacher Collins Syndrome or anything to stop me from achieveing my goal and dream.

Believe me, I will do whatever I have to, to get what I want.
This week.
__________________
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
The*Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on Plantation.
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbreeze
This week.
No, cause Next week, I gotta go out of town.
The*Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tikra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 829
Miss Pinccohio you are way off topic in here

__________________

We shall bring Hell who ever confront us
Tikra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,288
To answer the question, it was at age 2 from bacterial meningitis.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Fly Free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Roosted in the DC area!
Posts: 9,101
im a rubella kid
__________________
Enjoying life!
Fly Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,047
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Nowhere in the definition does it say the word, broken in the definition. This is exactly what I mean by Deaf militants spreading a bunch of misinformation.
Banjo, I am not a Deaf militant. However the term impaired sounds negative....I say that as a language maven, and as a Disabilty Rights activist. Why emphasize the fact that someone can't do something? (eg cognitively impaired, mobilty impaired, visually impaired etc) I know that the impaired label is also wicked controversial in the other disabilty communities....Personally, I do not like the word impaired at all....I mean you think like Driving While IMPAIRED. It just sounds wicked negative. I am not hearing impaired....I am hard of hearing!
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,477
it has NOTHING to do with political correction! Just the way I felt, and my view! I see how hearies MISUNDERSTAND BIG TIME!!! Enough is enough!

DHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo
Again, let's not get politically correct here.

The definition of Impaired goes like this,



Dictionary.com

Nowhere in the definition does it say the word, broken in the definition. This is exactly what I mean by Deaf militants spreading a bunch of misinformation.
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 12:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
bloody phreak from hell
 
VamPyroX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 40.18, 58.41
Posts: 34,332
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
I became deaf from neglect from my real mom.
__________________
Check out my city... CLICK HERE!
(If you've already visited yesterday, visit again today!)
VamPyroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,047
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Oh, and I'm hoh due to a genetic disorder. I have been hoh since conception!
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Kalista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 8,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlilli0
to help. The project is about the hearing impaired, which is pretty broad.

Oh Dear !! I HATE the term Hearing Impaired !!! My ears aren't broken !! I am DEAF !! Do not ever label me as Hearing Impaired !!
__________________
Kalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Kalista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 8,156
I am Deaf, I have been oppressive for years from the hearing people. I struggled to promotion my job at Federal Government. Hearing colleagues do not have their college degrees. They promoted very easily by ear by ear training daily.

Federal Goverment agency is very difficult to hire Deaf people due to poor english write and read. That is bull-shit. :liar: We do have alot of skills in other way with an interpreter ASL.

hearing people are idiot !
__________________
Kalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Liza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 4,367
Blog Entries: 2
Being deaf means muddling through all kinds of controversies regarding how others perceive my deafness personally and in society. At times it can be frustrating in a kind way of oh-no-there-they-go-again-cant-we-all-get-along? I live with labels and prejudices all the time by people who do not know me personally. Being deaf means that I have lived with generalism made about "deaf people" and "hearing people" made by everybody (including me) that isnt necessarily accurate (biased and opinionated, actually). It's like growing up Catholic in my experience, you know? Hard to break that programming.. but it can be done, and I've learned to follow what is in my heart regardless of how others may feel about the subject.

Nothing is 2 + 2 = 4 in my opinion, no matter what justification is made.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 207
Smile I agree with you Tigerlilio

I totally agree with you Tigerlilio.
I'm not deaf, but hearing imparied is label.
People who are deaf are deaf, and people who are hoh( hard of hearing)
are just that.
But they all good in my book.
Margie
Dir. Communications Services
OCDAC
I do interpreter too.
Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 10:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6
Just came back to thank everyone....

You all have been a tremendous help to me in this project. I certainly learned alot about the deaf community. You guys seem to have an almost familial sense of comradery. I'm kind of jealous, that's really very uncommon in the hearing world. Because of you guys I'm pretty sure I scraped a good grade. Thank you all so much.
Tigerlilli0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,477
WAIT!!!! I couldn't believe myself that I overlooked this. So all ya overlooked this. Read again, are you refering to baldness? Hairing impaired? Or are you refer to a human that can't grow a hair? Look at the original heading of this message

DHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlilli0
Hi everyone. I'm doing a project where i must inhabit the life of a deaf person. I need accounts from people who are deaf about what the experience is like and how they feel about it. I'm pretty desperate because i havent been able to get anyone to talk about it but the project is 25% of my grade. I would really really appreciate any kind of response. Thank you!
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2005, 03:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft.Pierce
Posts: 3
Send a message via ICQ to Mexicana4Life87 Send a message via AIM to Mexicana4Life87 Send a message via MSN to Mexicana4Life87 Send a message via Yahoo to Mexicana4Life87
Smile hey

Lolz I can't believe it, wut if u have bald no hair never again this grows ur hair is life so well never see this whtie hair make u old woman/man same life till death no more grown hair make glad but not! LAZY MINE AZZ!
Mexicana4Life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,047
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
O/T but... I LOVE Wikkipedia.....it rawks!
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Just be careful with Wikipedia since it's open-source meaning anybody can edit the information including me and you.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo
Just be careful with Wikipedia since it's open-source meaning anybody can edit the information including me and you.
Yep, that does represent a problem.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crime fighter
 
Interpretrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo
DeafDyke, let's not get all politically correct here.
Why is expressing a preference as to what people call you politically correct? She was saying how she felt about the term, which is negative.

If I tell you "don't call me a kike, call me Jewish," is that being politically correct? Or just human?

Would you say a black person who prefers not to be called a "n****r" is being politically correct? (FYI the program edited that word for me, because as it happens I don't believe in knee-jerk PC either.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo
Just be careful with Wikipedia since it's open-source meaning anybody can edit the information including me and you.
That, though, is really important advice. Many people don't realize that about Wikipedia, even though (or because) it's so fun to read.
Interpretrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.