AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #571 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiesolorzano View Post
I agree with you there you do not need the implant to access all of life's possibilities. There is no question at all in my mind. A deaf person who choses the Deaf culture way of life can access all of life's possibilities. The implant has helped my children develop oral language now because of this they can communicate with the mainstream society. I also know that if we would have choosen the signing route, I would have gotten involved just as you have and I would have also make sure they had access to everything just as you have.
Jillo you know I don't think we are all that different, we have just choosen different paths for our children.
I think that was evident all along, until others found the need to point out the differences in philosophy and use it as a way to make perosnal judgement.
I'm glad we can now engage in a productive disucssion of the issues.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #572 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
I didn't say that. Why do you put the word "ONLY" in there..
Is sign the ONLY way to go according to your perspective?

So quit using the extremes as an example. Stop using words like "only", especially when you put it into my mouth.
I didn't put words into your mouth, cloggy. Nor did I imply that you used the word "only". I simply asked a question. Put the nastiness on hold. We are having a civil discussion here.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #573 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy View Post
Then please don't, because this is not about deafness seen as "healthy or unhealthy or pathological or cultural minority", or whatever. I clearly stated in my other post what I meant:

And in your statemnt that "healthy" is to possess "all of the senses", the implicit statement is also made that not possessing all of the senses is "unhealthy."


and as you can see I was talking about "best option in life".
best option in life is without hesitation - simply to be able to hear, see, smell, taste and touch.
It's just an objective fact, and it has no bearing on how I view deafness. or anybody for that matter.

Once again, fuzzy, "best" is a subjective value that each individual places on something based ontheir own perspective evolved from their experience. What is perceived as "best" by you is not neccesarily what is perceived as "best" by another who has the same superficial circumstance as you, but a different perspective evolved from extraneous variables that cannot be controlled for but which do have a tremendous impact and influence on attitude and belief systems. "Best" is far from an objective measurment.
IMO, this is simply irrelevant, what is relevant is to be able to hear a fire alarm going off.

Or to see a fire alarm going off, or to feel a fire alrm going off. Either way, the intent of the alarm has been fultilled...to warn one of danger. In my home, my smoke alarms are equipped with stobing lights. In my son's deaf school, the fire alarms were equipped with strobing lights. In a public situation, where there are other people in proximity, he can see their reaction to the fire alarm without visual components, and react accordingly. I beleive that my son is intelligent enough that, were he to see people hurrying toward an exit, he would follow suite and ask why later.



If you were born hearing impaired- I can believe that.
But being late deafened.. hmm.. no, maybe not outright tragedy but...

how are you going to communicate with your longtime best hearing friends who, you can bet your patootie, won't want to learn ASL just for you?

There is writing. There is texting. There is email. And, as I am selective about the friends I choose to involve in my life, and tend to surround myself with those who are tolerant and open minded, I don't see that my becoming deaf would put an end to the friendship. I have nearly as many deaf friends as I do hearing friends. Likewise, I have several hearing friends that already sign, some more fluently, some on a limited basis.
and how about your work, your courses, your everyday activities like as simple as talking on the phone - how are you going to accomplish all that, for instance?

TTy's. email, text pagers and writing. My courses? I would use the same accommodations I provide for other students. My work? Deafness would not prevent me from attending to my work duties. I work with the deaf, and don't see changing my occupation at any time in the future.




Fuzzy
I hope that answered your questions.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #574 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
That happened to me so I moved on and made new friends. If the deaf person's hearing friends are true friends they would be willing to meet some of the deaf person's needs if not all. I never expected my hearing friends to meet all my needs but the breaking point was that they wouldnt return my calls or call me because of the relay according to them. As a result, I wasnt invited to some events so I figured it was time to let them go and find new friends. About 10 years later one of them found me and sent me an email. She said that she regretted for what she did. I am not gonna change everything about myself to meet all their needs...there has to be a middle ground. That's my view.

As for work, classes, and whatnot..I accomplished all these without a CI. Many deaf people do fine so what was your point of these questions? To me it seems like u are implying that deaf people need to be able to hear to be able to do all these things u mentioned? Tell me if I am wrong or not.
Exactly, shel. I answered fuzzy's questions before I got to your post, but essentially, we have said the same thing. Perhaps the isue is not whether we are deaf or not, but more about the quality of the people we choose to call "friend".
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #575 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlands View Post
yes,you are right.. As a late deafened, those have been great problems to me and yes, no one wanted to learn sign or writing notes just for me.. Considering ASL to be a 'golden' solution is not right.. ASL is not the only appropriate solution for 'all' deafs.. For some it may be great but for some others it doesn't work out ( me included )
But, then again, highlands, you did not enter into your deafness with the same life experience that I have had. Therefore, the coping skills you already had in place were not the same as those I would have. I already have the skills in place...you had to learn them after becoming deaf. That is a big difference. I answered the question as it would apply to me, as it was directed to me.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #576 (permalink)
married
 
highlands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the heart of my love
Posts: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
But, then again, highlands, you did not enter into your deafness with the same life experience that I have had. Therefore, the coping skills you already had in place were not the same as those I would have. I already have the skills in place...you had to learn them after becoming deaf. That is a big difference. I answered the question as it would apply to me, as it was directed to me.
You are hearing ! you may be Deaf but you are not deaf.Period !
highlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #577 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: "Those four" and more still here.
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
I already know that. That's why I asked Fuzzy and that's why I told him he can tell me if I am wrong or not. I just want to understand why he made those comments.

Dont feel like arguing either.

Nothing wrong with wanting to hear. I like to hear with my HAs. Only thing I have a problem is when people forbid signing to small children to test if they are able to pick up spoken language or not but that is a whole another topic itself.
Agree and let's leave that topic for another day.
rick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #578 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: "Those four" and more still here.
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlands View Post
You are hearing ! you may be Deaf but you are not deaf.Period !

Agree, valid point.
rick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #579 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlands View Post
You are hearing ! you may be Deaf but you are not deaf.Period !
No. I'm not deaf. But what does that have to do with skills necessary to deal with it? The question was, how would I react to it if I became deaf. And the answer is, I don't see that it would be a tragedy because I am already familiar with that world and have the communication skills I would need. I don't understand why you object to my answer.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #580 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 42,656
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
No. I'm not deaf. But what does that have to do with skills necessary to deal with it? The question was, how would I react to it if I became deaf. And the answer is, I don't see that it would be a tragedy because I am already familiar with that world and have the communication skills I would need. I don't understand why you object to my answer.
I did talk to my hubby about this issue if he should ever lose his hearing. He said before meeting my friends and learning ASL, he would have been devastated and scared as hell. He said now that he knows how deaf people live their lives without being able to hear fully, knowing ASL, and having his house equipped with strobe lights, he is all set if he should lose his hearing.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #581 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
I did talk to my hubby about this issue if he should ever lose his hearing. He said before meeting my friends and learning ASL, he would have been devastated and scared as hell. He said now that he knows how deaf people live their lives without being able to hear fully, knowing ASL, and having his house equipped with strobe lights, he is all set if he should lose his hearing.
Exactly. That's all I'm saying. For me, it would be easier because I already know what I need to know to deal with it.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #582 (permalink)
married
 
highlands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the heart of my love
Posts: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
No. I'm not deaf. But what does that have to do with skills necessary to deal with it? The question was, how would I react to it if I became deaf. And the answer is, I don't see that it would be a tragedy because I am already familiar with that world and have the communication skills I would need. I don't understand why you object to my answer.
highlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #583 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy View Post
I respect your POV, but it is a little different to suddenly or even gradually lose hearing if you were most if your life normally hearing than to be born with some hearing loss and lose more later on.
Since you were born with hearing loss, you had to and had time to adjust since birth.

Fuzzy
Probably but 40 db is only a mild loss and I didn't even wear hearing aids till I was about 11.

I do know what it is like to lose a sense at a later age though as I was sighted until I was 17 then I gradually lost all my sight (although some of it later returned so now I am just legally blind as aposed to totatally blind as I was at one stage). I was rather devistated about my sight loss. I won't claim that I wasnt. Even going so far as to attempt Suicide. However It wasn't blindness that bothered me so much as my perseption of blindness. Had I known capable deafblind people who were able to lead normal lives then I would not have gone to pieces in quite the same way.

I think Jillo is right when she says that she would cope better knowing how to communicate via ASL and knowing capable deaf people. I'm sure that Jillo would manage with the loss of her hearing. I manage with no hearing and only limited vision. I face discrimination but so did my mum because she was French and had mental health issues. Incidently I also seem to suffer mental health issues although fortunately for me it is on a periodical bases rather then a permament one. My life is like a game of snakes and ladders. I manage to climb. I've even managed to get volentary work dispite my deafblindness but then I have another episode. I find mental health issues a greater barier then Deafblindness.
__________________
I speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.
http://www.fightfoca.com/
dreama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #584 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreama View Post
Probably but 40 db is only a mild loss and I didn't even wear hearing aids till I was about 11.

I do know what it is like to lose a sense at a later age though as I was sighted until I was 17 then I gradually lost all my sight (although some of it later returned so now I am just legally blind as aposed to totatally blind as I was at one stage). I was rather devistated about my sight loss. I won't claim that I wasnt. Even going so far as to attempt Suicide. However It wasn't blindness that bothered me so much as my perseption of blindness. Had I known capable deafblind people who were able to lead normal lives then I would not have gone to pieces in quite the same way.

I think Jillo is right when she says that she would cope better knowing how to communicate via ASL and knowing capable deaf people. I'm sure that Jillo would manage with the loss of her hearing. I manage with no hearing and only limited vision. I face discrimination but so did my mum because she was French and had mental health issues. Incidently I also seem to suffer mental health issues although fortunately for me it is on a periodical bases rather then a permament one. My life is like a game of snakes and ladders. I manage to climb. I've even managed to get volentary work dispite my deafblindness but then I have another episode. I find mental health issues a greater barier then Deafblindness.
Thank you for understanding what I was saying,dreama. And I agree with yur regrading mental health issues. They carry a stigma that is far more predjudicial and mental illness is subject to prevasive societal causes that disable the individual more than the mental illness itself disables.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #585 (permalink)
Prayers for my dad.
 
Cheri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
But, then again, highlands, you did not enter into your deafness with the same life experience that I have had.
That's true, You have a son that is deaf, You walked all the way thru his life and have more experienced what it is like to be deaf, and highlands lost his hearing in his late years.
__________________
Avoid being a victim of a stroke, a stroke can happen to anyone at anytime. You will never know how devastating this could be until you had live through it. It affects everybody. So Support Stroke Awareness to find a cure and hope.
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #586 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri View Post
That's true, You have a son that is deaf, You walked all the way thru his life and have more experienced what it is like to be deaf, and highlands lost his hearing in his late years.
Cheri
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #587 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: "Those four" and more still here.
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
I didn't put words into your mouth, cloggy. Nor did I imply that you used the word "only". I simply asked a question. Put the nastiness on hold. We are having a civil discussion here.
Cloggy was not being nasty just stating a fact and requesting that you not put words in his mouth. Don't attempt to deny what you did by turning it around on Cloggy.

Your "newfound" niceness act is not fooling anyone and you will soon revert to your old self.
rick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.