AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > General Chat
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jillio

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8
Multiple Sclerosis

Hello, I recently was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Does anyone have MS / Multiple Sclerosis? I was raised hearing, losing some hearing in left ear.

Last edited by SignMan; 09-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.
SignMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 09-02-2011, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
ladysolitary85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,629
hi SignMan, I'm going through some medical issues myself but MS wasn't very likely for me. Be patient I'm sure someone on here who has MS can give you more support. But remember not to be scared, or anything. Your not alone and theres TONS of support here.
__________________
Severe loss in left
Profound loss in right
ladysolitary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,112
physican health issues probelm can't full time because job I know my counsillor told me she have MS
__________________
Smithtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: High desert in Calif
Posts: 4,208
My brother in law has MS ( for 2 years now) and he is living on SSDI now but no medicare yet. Costly to get shot, no $ for it yet. 3 thousand dollars a month for medicines to prevent farther damages. He sometime get blind, sometime not feeling right side of arm or leg. Stay away from hot shower, no more driving car and depression, I think. I am so sorry you have it. Terrible way to have it.
__________________
jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
lovezebras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,991
You can still drive with MS. My grandmother has had MS for 20+ years and she has her bad days and she does have handicapped parking due to her trouble with walking far and her mobility but other than her hips she lives perfectly fine everyday with her MS
lovezebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaM View Post
You can still drive with MS. My grandmother has had MS for 20+ years and she has her bad days and she does have handicapped parking due to her trouble with walking far and her mobility but other than her hips she lives perfectly fine everyday with her MS
Yep. There are several different forms of MS. One of them goes into remission for long periods of time with few to no symptoms during the periods of remission.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,052
My sister has MS. I heard that if you got MS before you are 40, it would be worse than if you got it after 40. My sister got it when she was 40. She doesn't drive anymore and get around on a 4-prong cane. She can eat alot but still stay very skinny. Her daughter is taking care of her.
__________________

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Emotional Mess
 
KristinaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Land of the backstroke
Posts: 14,505
I have a friend who was diagnosed with MS about 10 years ago. She was 35. At first, she was bedbound and on oxygen due to underlying issues that she has. After about 6 months they were finally able to work out some meds for her. She is back up and working again as a mobile X-ray technician. Last I heard, she was doing very well as long as she keeps her weight in a specific range (she has problems gaining weight) and regular bloodwork to make sure her meds are working right. I know this X-Ray machine she moves around is one heavy sucker, but she is able to load and unload it in her van multiple times each night.
__________________
Taking life one day at a time.
KristinaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: High desert in Calif
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaM View Post
You can still drive with MS. My grandmother has had MS for 20+ years and she has her bad days and she does have handicapped parking due to her trouble with walking far and her mobility but other than her hips she lives perfectly fine everyday with her MS
Not if your blind alike my brother in law, is it okay to drive then all of sudden all thing went to blackness? Unless he gets treatment for it and stay in remission so right now he is not driving at all while he has it.
__________________
jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
My brother in law has MS ( for 2 years now) and he is living on SSDI now but no medicare yet. Costly to get shot, no $ for it yet. 3 thousand dollars a month for medicines to prevent farther damages. He sometime get blind, sometime not feeling right side of arm or leg. Stay away from hot shower, no more driving car and depression, I think. I am so sorry you have it. Terrible way to have it.
Hello suggest try Shared Solutions nurses 800.887.8100 8a-8p EST, there may be funding from them for persons to obtain medicine. Ty
tharper421@aol.com
SignMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 8
at 40

I was 4 months from my 41st birthday.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
My sister has MS. I heard that if you got MS before you are 40, it would be worse than if you got it after 40. My sister got it when she was 40. She doesn't drive anymore and get around on a 4-prong cane. She can eat alot but still stay very skinny. Her daughter is taking care of her.
SignMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
lovezebras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Not if your blind alike my brother in law, is it okay to drive then all of sudden all thing went to blackness? Unless he gets treatment for it and stay in remission so right now he is not driving at all while he has it.
you didn't say in your original post that he goes blind ...not everyone has vision problems. You can't tell the OP no more driving, hot showers, etc if you don't know the OP's symptoms and their specific MS
lovezebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,605
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
My brother in law has MS ( for 2 years now) and he is living on SSDI now but no medicare yet. Costly to get shot, no $ for it yet. 3 thousand dollars a month for medicines to prevent farther damages. He sometime get blind, sometime not feeling right side of arm or leg. Stay away from hot shower, no more driving car and depression, I think. I am so sorry you have it. Terrible way to have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaM View Post
you didn't say in your original post that he goes blind ...not everyone has vision problems. You can't tell the OP no more driving, hot showers, etc if you don't know the OP's symptoms and their specific MS
Sure she did. See the bold. I have known several people who had MS in the severe form , and ended badly handicapped and then died from the effects.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but there isn't any need to pretend it's a bed of roses.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: High desert in Calif
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaM View Post
you didn't say in your original post that he goes blind ...not everyone has vision problems. You can't tell the OP no more driving, hot showers, etc if you don't know the OP's symptoms and their specific MS
I am sorry for being blunt, I did not like her saying everyone still can drive when my brother in law was only 50 and has to stop working for good. You think it is easy for any man to become disabled and not be able to work ever. And he is not getting any treatment because of costly. It angers me that our government did not do any good for people who paid their taxes years and not get one help from them. He goes blind once in awhile because he is not getting any treatments so right now he can not drive. I will leave this alone. We have to deal with this with OP or not or anyone because it is part of our life now for few years. Hot water made him go blind, so only warm and he has to get rid of spa because he can not use it. It is rare for any man who got MS after 50. For your information, my mil was very upset and cried when she learned about her son's condition. It is worst news for anyone in the family. Leave me alone and I have right to say stuffs.
__________________
jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: High desert in Calif
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMan View Post
Hello suggest try Shared Solutions nurses 800.887.8100 8a-8p EST, there may be funding from them for persons to obtain medicine. Ty
tharper421@aol.com
Thank you I will pass this info to my bil. I am so sad for him and his family.
__________________
jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
lovezebras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
I am sorry for being blunt, I did not like her saying everyone still can drive when my brother in law was only 50 and has to stop working for good. You think it is easy for any man to become disabled and not be able to work ever. And he is not getting any treatment because of costly. It angers me that our government did not do any good for people who paid their taxes years and not get one help from them. He goes blind once in awhile because he is not getting any treatments so right now he can not drive. I will leave this alone. We have to deal with this with OP or not or anyone because it is part of our life now for few years. Hot water made him go blind, so only warm and he has to get rid of spa because he can not use it. It is rare for any man who got MS after 50. For your information, my mil was very upset and cried when she learned about her son's condition. It is worst news for anyone in the family. Leave me alone and I have right to say stuffs.
Sorry for your brothers problem. But the reality is that almost no condition and disease works in the same way. I think it's great that people on here are giving the OP advice but what your brother goes through is what HE is going through, not what everyone else may go through. I see people everyday in the hospital who have the same diagnosis but they experience it in VERY different ways. And no I don't think it's easy for anyone to be diagnosed with something that Can be very debilitating but the reality of life is that it happens and yes it's unfortunate but you have to just roll with the punches and hope for the best.

YourOttawaRegion Article: Meaghan

Home : National MS Society
this is the national ms society in the states there are also other organizations that people with MS can contact for MS resources
lovezebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Beach girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: northern Virginia in winter; NC in summer
Posts: 3,760
MS in particular seems to be a very variable disease. A friend of mine, now in her mid-40's, was diagnosed with it a few years ago. She had one really bad episode, could not move, had to be cared for by friends and a nurse, was paralyzed on one side. Then she got over it, went into remission, and basically is fine now. She still has the disease in her system, but shows absolutely no symptoms at all.

On the other hand, an older cousin of mine also has it, was diagnosed many years ago. She is in a wheelchair and will never walk more than a few steps ever again. She needs a lot of assistance with her daily life.

Her sister, a few years younger, was diagnosed with it more recently, walks with a cane, and while she needs some help, she mostly gets along pretty well.

I don't know how well doctors can predict which version a person is going to have. I guess people basically deal with the symptoms as they come up, and try to plan ahead as best they can.
Beach girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach girl View Post
MS in particular seems to be a very variable disease. A friend of mine, now in her mid-40's, was diagnosed with it a few years ago. She had one really bad episode, could not move, had to be cared for by friends and a nurse, was paralyzed on one side. Then she got over it, went into remission, and basically is fine now. She still has the disease in her system, but shows absolutely no symptoms at all.

On the other hand, an older cousin of mine also has it, was diagnosed many years ago. She is in a wheelchair and will never walk more than a few steps ever again. She needs a lot of assistance with her daily life.

Her sister, a few years younger, was diagnosed with it more recently, walks with a cane, and while she needs some help, she mostly gets along pretty well.

I don't know how well doctors can predict which version a person is going to have. I guess people basically deal with the symptoms as they come up, and try to plan ahead as best they can.
MS does not manifest the same in any 2 persons. Additionally, there are various types of MS which will direct the course of the disease. You are describing the remitting/relapsing form of MS in your friend, which is the mildest form.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: marietta, ga
Posts: 2
hello:
i hope this finds everyone well.

i am a person living w/RRMS.
i was diagnosed in june of 2000.
i was not even 30yrs old.

for "signman" the OP for this thread contact the georgia chapter for the NMSS.
they are a great help.
i live in georgia too and they helped me.

MS is a designer disease.

there are some things that are academic for all who have it.
BUT.... .
most of us have very unique symtoms.
i am now taking part in the OHSU study on diet and chronic illness.

does anyone follow the dr. mcdougall diet?

i am sorryabout your hearing loss.

i am a person who loves deaf culture.
i studied ASL for two yrs and i would love to continue.
i'd also like to take an SSL class.
GL
atlholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlholey View Post
hello:
i hope this finds everyone well.

i am a person living w/RRMS.
i was diagnosed in june of 2000.
i was not even 30yrs old.

for "signman" the OP for this thread contact the georgia chapter for the NMSS.
they are a great help.
i live in georgia too and they helped me.

MS is a designer disease.

there are some things that are academic for all who have it.
BUT.... .
most of us have very unique symtoms.
i am now taking part in the OHSU study on diet and chronic illness.

does anyone follow the dr. mcdougall diet?

i am sorryabout your hearing loss.

i am a person who loves deaf culture.
i studied ASL for two yrs and i would love to continue.
i'd also like to take an SSL class.
GL
Thank you for confirming, as an actual person diagnosed with RRMS, what was stated in my above post. I hope this finds you in a period of remission rather than relapse.
KristinaB likes this.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: marietta, ga
Posts: 2
SIGNMAN, HOH, and SSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Thank you for confirming, as an actual person diagnosed with RRMS, what was stated in my above post. I hope this finds you in a period of remission rather than relapse.
hey there!!

i hope this finds you well.
yes, i am fine!

thanks for asking.
are you here in Ga. ?
do you know of anyone who teaches SSL?

J
atlholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.