AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Current Events > Deaf News
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Miss-Delectable
  • 1 Post By Miss-Delectable
  • 1 Post By Reba
  • 1 Post By diehardbiker

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Miss-Delectable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 17,173
Blog Entries: 3
Carbon monoxide detectors for the deaf

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/13288185.htm

The Olathe Fire Department is providing special carbon monoxide detectors for residents who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Department officials said regular carbon monoxide detectors cost about $20 each, but special devices for the deaf can cost 10 times that.

The department has purchased more than 150 detectors with $21,000 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that fire officials say accounts for half of fatal poisonings in the United States.

The special detectors use a combination of bright strobe light and an audible alarm to alert a person to the gas.

They can be plugged into a standard outlet.

For more information, call (913) 971-6333 or the TTY line at (913) 971-7903.
Bebonang likes this.
__________________
"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."
- Helen Keller
Miss-Delectable is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
♥"Concrete Angel"♥
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 19,089
Only 10 dollars? ....That's cheap, Thank you so much for posting this information... I have wanted one for quite a while now , glad to hear I could get one for cheap price....

Thanks a million girl!!
__________________
"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is brought in our life, OR in the life of another." ~ Helen Keller
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SherryCherish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: somewhere in USA
Posts: 4,550
No, Angel "10 times" it meant 200 dollars
__________________
Have a great 2007 year!
SherryCherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
♥"Concrete Angel"♥
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 19,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryCherish
No, Angel "10 times" it meant 200 dollars
Gosh I need glasses!.... Thanks for telling me
__________________
"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is brought in our life, OR in the life of another." ~ Helen Keller
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
IcedTeaRulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ...Not sure where I am...
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Angel^
Gosh I need glasses!.... Thanks for telling me
I know what ^Angel^ needs for christmas: New eyeglasses!
IcedTeaRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SherryCherish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: somewhere in USA
Posts: 4,550
hehehe ha ha, no more likely maginfly(sp) glasses
SherryCherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Kateweb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 699
Send a message via AIM to Kateweb Send a message via MSN to Kateweb Send a message via Yahoo to Kateweb Send a message via Skype™ to Kateweb
why would adding a stobe light to someting mutiply the price 10 fold that is redicules !! the bulbes for those things are cheep. like 15 bucks thay should not be able to gat away with that.
Kateweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 07:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,409
Cost to engineer, UL approval fees, Prototype process, manufacturing process CAN add up astronished cost, much more than you'd realize, and the expectation of sales is much smaller so hence it cost MUCH MUCH MUCH more to produce limit quanities. That is the problem! Believe it or not, to get approval for UL label on product starts at least 50,000 dollars including attorney fees! That is why it cost much much more than the one that have been in high production quota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateweb
why would adding a stobe light to someting mutiply the price 10 fold that is redicules !! the bulbes for those things are cheep. like 15 bucks thay should not be able to gat away with that.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MsGiglz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: WVa
Posts: 4,255
Send a message via AIM to MsGiglz Send a message via Yahoo to MsGiglz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Angel^
Gosh I need glasses!.... Thanks for telling me
you just like me.. I read but i read again before i misunderstand.. sometimes i dont.. lol


ouch 200?
__________________
MsGiglz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Soonersseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,396
wont the noise set off your alert master alarm clock anyway ?
Soonersseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,409
This is poinless for most of ADers here. These KC residents are very lucky!!! damn!
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DC Area
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonersseth
wont the noise set off your alert master alarm clock anyway ?
If you have one.
dkf747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
horselover61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,681
Blog Entries: 2
Darn I wish to get it for free but I dont live there. Whaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Anyway I have regular one and it works for me as long as I sleep in the living room. It give me hell last spring. It's kept going off all the time and found out need to replace it. Battery replace once a year and for the alarm system replace every 5 yrs. No wonder. So now it better whewwwwwww. That noise is so annoyed. But it better be safe then sorry.
__________________
Check out my city!!


http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Miss-Delectable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 17,173
Blog Entries: 3
Let's hope it'll become cheaper in other states.
Bebonang likes this.
__________________
"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."
- Helen Keller
Miss-Delectable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 99
I was reading an article in my hearing aid specialist's newsletter this morning on smoke detectors which asked the question of whether one could or couldn't hear smoke and monoxide detectors without one's hearing aids.

I've been HOH for many years and never considered this personal safety point.

Anyway,I removed my hearing aids and tested my smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. I could hear the smoke ones but I could barely hear one of my monoxide detectors. (We have 2 for monoxide.)

Does anyone know of any battery powered only carbon monoxide detectors that can be wall mounted or put on a nightstand that are for the hearing impaired?

Thank You!
Roca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,409
No, there isn't any. Sorry

Reason: Battery itself is not powerful enough to provide strobe light or any visual alarm. Speaker or horn tend to use much less power, that is why one for battery is available, unfortunately Deaf or HoH can't hear.

BUT, there is plug type Carbon Monoxide alarm that requires 120V, and you can add UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which can be found at computer department. This is best known solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca View Post
Does anyone know of any battery powered only carbon monoxide detectors that can be wall mounted or put on a nightstand that are for the hearing impaired?

Thank You!
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
No, there isn't any. Sorry

Reason: Battery itself is not powerful enough to provide strobe light or any visual alarm. Speaker or horn tend to use much less power, that is why one for battery is available, unfortunately Deaf or HoH can't hear.

BUT, there is plug type Carbon Monoxide alarm that requires 120V, and you can add UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which can be found at computer department. This is best known solution.
You could buy a smoke alarm that has a flashing light that could wake the dead up. They're used in apartment for the elderlies I use to work in and I had a client that a fire alarm in her house that was hooked with the fire department and the she had flashing light on the smoke alarms . She collected dolls and did not want anything to happen them . There where so many dolls I could not find a place to sit down.
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
No, there isn't any. Sorry

Reason: Battery itself is not powerful enough to provide strobe light or any visual alarm. Speaker or horn tend to use much less power, that is why one for battery is available, unfortunately Deaf or HoH can't hear.

BUT, there is plug type Carbon Monoxide alarm that requires 120V, and you can add UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which can be found at computer department. This is best known solution.
Thanks Diehard Biker!

I did find a battery only smoke alarm on the Loudenlow website and asked them about a carbon monoxide detector. (Am waiting for their response.)

Since this thread originated several years ago,maybe there is a monoxide detector out there somewhere that's battery only. I'll keep looking and let AllDeaf know when i find one.
Roca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,409
Roca specifically asked for battery powered unit which is not currently available in market, 120v power type, yes available. The only option is UPS which is a battery back-up power for any electronic device to provide power in event of black out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
You could buy a smoke alarm that has a flashing light that could wake the dead up. They're used in apartment for the elderlies I use to work in and I had a client that a fire alarm in her house that was hooked with the fire department and the she had flashing light on the smoke alarms . She collected dolls and did not want anything to happen them . There where so many dolls I could not find a place to sit down.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 99
I kept looking and there's a website,www.assistech.com,that has several dual purpose (smoke and monoxide) detectors. Brand name is OneLink,which I believe is a subsidiary of First Alert.

These detectors by Onelink can be set up not just to coordinate with the other detectors in one's residence/business but to give a verbal alert to what room the smoke or monoxide is being detected in.

On Assistech's website,I tested the alarms' sounds. They have different pitches, volume, and frequency than the average smoke or monoxide alarms. Much easier for me to hear.

Said alarms are probably more suited to the HOH or blind than to the deaf.

I might invest in something by Assistech if the reviews on Assistech,Amazon,and E-Bay are favorable. I believe I can hear these alarms without my hearing aids on.

I'll keep looking to see what might be available for the deaf.
Roca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
PowerON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 37.5, 126.9
Posts: 10,796
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca View Post
I kept looking and there's a website,www.assistech.com,that has several dual purpose (smoke and monoxide) detectors. Brand name is OneLink,which I believe is a subsidiary of First Alert.

These detectors by Onelink can be set up not just to coordinate with the other detectors in one's residence/business but to give a verbal alert to what room the smoke or monoxide is being detected in.

On Assistech's website,I tested the alarms' sounds. They have different pitches, volume, and frequency than the average smoke or monoxide alarms. Much easier for me to hear.

Said alarms are probably more suited to the HOH or blind than to the deaf.

I might invest in something by Assistech if the reviews on Assistech,Amazon,and E-Bay are favorable. I believe I can hear these alarms without my hearing aids on.

I'll keep looking to see what might be available for the deaf.
There is disadvantage on First Alert product, these isn't friendly battery, it required direct from the outlet power. It would be bad news when there is outage power.
__________________
[Illustrator.Blog-alloon.com]
Don't shoot me! I'm only blogger!
PowerON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 99
PowerOn,

I recently bought a combination smoke/monoxide detector at Lowes: Onelink
model SCO0500. I can hear this alarm without my hearing aids on.

BTW,this alarm is powered by two AA batteries. It is not dependent on house
current.

One can also program in a message regarding location and also link it with other Onelink alarms.
Roca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,707
I miss Miss-Delectable.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,409
The real disadvantage of using battery powered (As sole powered) alarm verses house powered unit is that if battery is at near dead, and there is carbon monoxide creeping in the house, it will provide protection up to what's left on battery (Scary if it only offers 5 seconds of warning before going dead), while with 120V, it keeps going and going til one gets alerted.

The more louder you want it to be, the shorter life of battery. two double A batteries offers very limited protection, and they are good only as back up especially Carbon Monoxide alarm. Smoke detectors uses much less energy than Carbon Monoxide alarm does.

Especially for those with total hearing loss like myself, Battery offers protection as much as if there isn't one alarm available, in other words, battery powered unit is really useless for Deafies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca View Post
PowerOn,

I recently bought a combination smoke/monoxide detector at Lowes: Onelink
model SCO0500. I can hear this alarm without my hearing aids on.

BTW,this alarm is powered by two AA batteries. It is not dependent on house
current.

One can also program in a message regarding location and also link it with other Onelink alarms.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Terp
 
Reba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
The real disadvantage of using battery powered (As sole powered) alarm verses house powered unit is that if battery is at near dead, and there is carbon monoxide creeping in the house, it will provide protection up to what's left on battery (Scary if it only offers 5 seconds of warning before going dead), while with 120V, it keeps going and going til one gets alerted.

The more louder you want it to be, the shorter life of battery. two double A batteries offers very limited protection, and they are good only as back up especially Carbon Monoxide alarm. Smoke detectors uses much less energy than Carbon Monoxide alarm does.

Especially for those with total hearing loss like myself, Battery offers protection as much as if there isn't one alarm available, in other words, battery powered unit is really useless for Deafies.
What about plug-in alarm with battery back up?

I prefer having both kinds of alarms, plug-in/wired and battery.
Angel1989 likes this.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 14,409
That one is fine, it is safer having both than just battery alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
What about plug-in alarm with battery back up?

I prefer having both kinds of alarms, plug-in/wired and battery.
Angel1989 likes this.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 465
The Nest alarm sends an alarm to your phone. It's a smoke and carbon monoxide detector. They fixed the problem that made them recall it, and they are out now with a lower price. If you look at the link, at the bottom of the page is what is shown on your phone when it gets the message https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/inside-and-out/ It can be set to vibrate instead of make a sound, which can be far more useful than just a loud sound and flashing light. It actually tells you if a bit of smoke is detected (like burning a piece of toast), if it's emergency levels of smoke, it tells you when ti's all clear, etc. It's nice information to have.
Eater of Worlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.