you went Deaf School?

sara1981

Reaction score
when you were little girls or boys so your parents chose going pick good school like any states to study education and you going play sports?

I'm went to Kansas School for the Deaf when i was little girls and i love that school very much and still strong very much for long times but my parents chose this school because i must study this education include K-12 and im graduation from KSD 2000 but im 7 years from KSD and i love teachers very much because more trust and listen the teacher include math,science,etc.And im staying at dorms also till weekend sometimes bad weather im staying at dorms till bad weather stop but im miss this school very much so im visit KSD for homecoming every years what i wanted it its my traditional

Last time I ever went in the deaf school and for a deaf event was in May 2003.

After that, never again.

*Maybe* after I find someone that is well worth keeping, I'd visit. Maybe.

If that school is still the same old shit as it was back then after that visit, I'd vow never to step in that campus again, even on reunions.

I went to Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind... I graduated from there... I loved it...

I never went to a deaf school. I wonder sometimes where I would be if I had gone.

Anyways, my brother attended Phoenix Day School for the Deaf and he loved it so much that he is now a PE teacher there. :)

He is the football, basketball and softball coach for the high school and loving it. :)

Utah School for the deaf in Ogden, Utah and Clarke School for the deaf in Northampton, Mass. I also went some hearing schools too.

Metro Toronto for the Deaf School, Toronto, Ont, CAN JrK to level 4
Transfer to
ECDrury School for the Deaf, Milton, ONT. CAN Grade 5 to 10
Danforth Techincal (mainstream) Toronto, Ontario. CAN Grade 10
Sir James Whintey for the Deaf, Belleville, Ontario, CAN Grade 11/12
G A Wheable then Graduation. (Not Deaf School) London,Ont.CAN

I went to Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind... I graduated from there... I loved it...

two of my great aunts went there. I wonder if you know them. One of them was Aileen reynolds ( married name is winborne). She is dead now. The other one die at 16 in that school from Pneumonia, but in those days hardship was part of life.

My grandma felt that her sister (Aileen) turned out a wonderful person compare to herself. But Aileen didn't have to deal with their abusive father because she didn't have to live with them.

My parent were forced to send me away to deaf school and I hated deaf school. I perfer mainstreamed and stay home with my family. I don't believe deaf kids should be separate by parents.

I never fully entered a deaf school.. I was maintstreamed all my life. but I did visit the deaf school in my home state.

I don't believe deaf kids should be separate by parents
Oh I don't know...............I think many deaf kids can benifit significently from residental education. Like dhh foster kids (always hard to find ASL fluent or even foster parents willing to take special needs kids), kids whose home life is kind of unstable (eg inner city kids, kids from not exactly emotionally healthy families) and kids who live in the middle of nowhere and don't have really good access to schools.
Sarah.............My friend sent her hoh daughter to KSD for preschool, kindergarten and first grade and loved it! Katie is now mainstreaming Remy, but Remy goes to one of those magnet schools where there's a big population of dhh kids.

Gone thur four deaf schools.

One of them was closed.

One of them changed to mainstream school.

One of them got less and less students.

One of them got more and more students.

Good experinced from them. :cool:

I was suggest to go deaf school by the councile in city. My parents refuse and sent me to mainstream school like normal.

I went to PSD in Philly from pre-school till 8th grade then went to MSSD and graduated there...

I grew up to attend to hearing school until I became 8 grade, I transferred to Michigan School for the Deaf, I graduated in 2002 ;)

But it's great in some ways, not great in other ways.

Gone to deaf school in my whole life.

Cleary School for the Deaf till 1981 then transfered to Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf Children till 1987

I loved Cleary School. The teachers and students were great there.
Mill Neck was okay. I wasnt crazy about the education, but loved the sports.

Oh I don't know...............I think many deaf kids can benifit significently from residental education. Like dhh foster kids (always hard to find ASL fluent or even foster parents willing to take special needs kids), kids whose home life is kind of unstable (eg inner city kids, kids from not exactly emotionally healthy families) and kids who live in the middle of nowhere and don't have really good access to schools.
Sarah.............My friend sent her hoh daughter to KSD for preschool, kindergarten and first grade and loved it! Katie is now mainstreaming Remy, but Remy goes to one of those magnet schools where there's a big population of dhh kids.

Did u lived at deaf school?

Do u think it is fair for kids with stable home to live among those kids whose home life is not stable? I know what I went thru because I dealed with them.

U mean your friend's daughter goes to day school instead of living at school? Living and attending day at deaf schools are not same thing.

Be honest with u, I do not know any deaf/hoh foster kids except one I met her and she lived with deaf foster parents. I do not know what u were talking about many of them not benefit ASL. I had talked with many hearing parents of deaf kids, they had trouble displicine their deaf kids so they thought deaf school would be good place for them. Fine with me but they do not know there is some deaf kids who bully. I know one who went to deaf school and he was being bullied by kids and no one believed him. He was so upset and afraid then his parents moved him to different deaf school andhHe was doing much better.

As for living in the middle of nowhere, it may be true for some place alike Wyoming or Nebraska but not here in Calif. Plenty of deaf schools around here without living at school.

Jazzy, no I never lived at deaf school. However, I HAVE experianced residental education/residental summer camp............and it can be a wonderful experiance. I don't quite agree with sending little kids off to live at a school..........but on the other hand, I think in some cases "family" is kind of overrated. There are great families but, there are also many dysfunctional families.
And yes, kids from stable families shouldn't have to deal with disruption, but severe bullying can happen in all sorts of situions...........not just deaf schools.
Oh, and I'm sure that there are a lot of kids from California who live in rural areas, and whose parents can't move or whatever. Besides Jazzy, you're older. Things have changed at deaf schools you know!

I went to Clarke School for the deaf in Northampton, Ma then mainstream in High school.

Back