Yes, another...

AquaBlue

Reaction score
...sign language class will start for me this Monday (5/12) night. It will mostly be a review for me since I took the same class five years ago. One of my main objectives is to finally hook-up with the local deaf community. I hope this new teacher has info on where I can find a gathering. Wish me luck.

Good luck, Carlos. Classes are always an adventure. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Chase.

This class will be my warm-up until my real ASL course starts in the fall.

I began my new, non-credit (community), ASL class this week: The same teacher (deaf), in a whole new class. I have the same teacher that discouraged me from continuing my ASL endeavors five years before. He is now an experienced ASL teacher whereas he was not before- a rookie teacher then. He is, so far, teaching ASL grammar, vocabulary and idioms (which I love) among other interesting and important topics. It seems that the class is all well and good at this point and it shows promise.

Another important fact is that the same teacher is also an instructor in the credit courses I will take this summer. I told him (manually) that I was going to go for a degree in ASL interpretation in the college he teaches. He honestly told me that the course is extremely difficult and that he had only a very few students pass the national test for terpship. I was, of course, not at all discouraged because I know that I will do fine, I know it in my heart.

Another great thing about this class is that I am the only dude there; young, beautiful women surround me! My classmate (female!), all of them, are eager to learn the manual language and I will help them as best I can…and I will do so with pleasure. Boy I love this class already!

So every Monday and Wednesday night I will be instructed in ASL and I will be sitting with a grin from ear-to-ear at the fact that twenty-something ladies are learning along with me. Yes!

You like the fact that you are outnumbered by twentysomething ladies? :D

Today I went to my city college in order to get things ready for August- when my credit classes begin. When I entered the Advisement building, I ran into a small group of Deaf folks. I introduced myself and most (not all) seemed happy to meet me. Some didn't give me any indication of happiness (ooh well). I communicated well enought manually to state my current situation and desire to become a Terp. I spoke with the cordinator for Deaf services (hearing woman) at the campus and she told me to contact her later in the day in order to give me info on local deaf gatherings. So I am excited! Very good day for me so far.

Today I went to my city college in order to get things ready for August- when my credit classes begin. When I entered the Advisement building, I ran into a small group of Deaf folks. I introduced myself and most (not all) seemed happy to meet me. Some didn't give me any indication of happiness (ooh well). I communicated well enought manually to state my current situation and desire to become a Terp. I spoke with the cordinator for Deaf services (hearing woman) at the campus and she told me to contact her later in the day in order to give me info on local deaf gatherings. So I am excited! Very good day for me so far.
Don't take it personally if not all the deaf people you meet warm up to you immediately. Deaf people are just like hearing people--some are friendly and outgoing, some are shy and reserved, some are nice, and some are mean. Also, within the group that you encountered, they might have other things on their minds than just meeting hearing sign language students. Realistically, don't expect all deaf people to be happy to meet you when you pop into their lives. The exception is social gatherings where the goal is to encourage new hearing students into the deaf community. They should be more welcoming. Otherwise, deaf people are busy living their lives, just like you are, and sometimes don't have time for chit chat with strangers. :)

I'm glad that you had a good day at college. :P

Back