wow it is about THE TIME !!!

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
On February 6, 2006, the FDA cautioned that children with an early version of the cochlear implant face an increased threat of bacterial meningitis beyond just the first two years following implantation of the hearing devices. This newly announced risk means that young implant patients must be monitored the entire time the implants are in place because infection of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord can occur. This infection is sometimes fatal.

A Cochlear implant is an electronic hearing device that works by electrically stimulating nerves inside the inner ear. It is designed to produce useful hearing sensations to children and adults with severe to profound nerve deafness who get little or no benefit from hearing aids. The FDA approved the first commercial Cochlear devices during the mid-1980s.

The FDA said in separate letters to patients and doctors that deaf children who have a Cochlear implant and a positioner get bacterial meningitis more frequently than either children with the implants that don't have the small rubber wedge or those without implants at all. This specific rubber wedge was at first used to help doctors position the implants during surgery. Advanced Bionics Corp. was the only manufacturer to market the implants with positioners. None of these devices have been implanted in patients since July 2002.

An initial study found that 26 of 4,264 children with the implants developed meningitis during the first two years following surgery and that those with positioners were at greater risk. A recent new study that followed the same children for an additional two years found another six with infections. All with positioners had developed meningitis. The results appear in the February 2006 issue of the journal Pediatrics. Beyond monitoring cochlear implant patients for signs of meningitis, which include high fever and a stiff neck, the FDA recommends that the children receive proper vaccinations.

If you or a loved one suffered injuries from a Cochlear implant, please fill out the form at the right for a free lawsuit case evaluation by a qualified defective medical device attorney.

Read this !!!

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/ov... images&OVKEY=cochlear implant&OVMTC=advanced

FDA Issues Updated 'Advice for Patients' Regarding Meningitis Risk Associated with Cochlear Implants

Cochlear implants are implanted electronic hearing devices that are designed to produce useful hearing sensations people with severe to profound nerve deafness by electrically stimulating nerves inside the inner ear.

The devices are designed to help severely to profoundly deaf adults and children who get little or no benefit from hearing aids. Individuals with severe or profound "nerve deafness" may also benefit from cochlear implants.

On September 25, 2003 (updating original notice of July 24, 2003) the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) notified healthcare providers "about a recent study showing that children with cochlear implants are at greater risk of developing bacterial meningitis caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae than children in the general population."

Bacterial meningitis, a serious infection in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) around the brain and spinal cord, can be fatal.

That study was conducted by FDA, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and others, and was published in the July 31, 2003 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine. "The focus of the investigation was young children because they account for the majority of known meningitis cases and represent the population that will receive most cochlear implants in the future."

The FDA/CDC study reviewed the medical records of 4,264 children under the age of six at the time of implantation. Of these patients, 26 were reported to have meningitis. Because the number of meningitis cases was small, the FDA stated it was "limited in our ability to determine the risk of developing meningitis with various cochlear implant models."

Although the FDA/CDC study did show "cochlear implants with electrode positioners were associated with a greater risk of developing meningitis than implants without positioners," it was unable to determine how the positioner increased the risk for developing meningitis.

A positioner is a small rubber wedge that helps the physician position the implant during surgery. Only Advanced Bionics Corporation sold an implant that had a positioner, and none were implanted after July 2002.

On Monday, however, the FDA posted an updated advice for patients that "gives the latest information on the risk of bacterial meningitis in children with cochlear implants and recommends steps to reduce the risk."

A new study, published in the February issue of Pediatrics, "which followed the children for two more years, has found that the increased risk for meningitis persists beyond two years after implantation. This study highlights the importance of continuing to monitor children with cochlear implants for signs of middle ear infection and meningitis. Children need to be monitored for as long as the implant is in place."

Based upon the findings in the new study, the FDA published the following recommendations:

"Continue close monitoring for meningitis and middle ear infections for all children with a cochlear implant, but particularly for children whose implants have a positioner. Consult your implanting doctor to determine if the patient has a positioner. It is, however, important to monitor all cochlear implant patients.

Check the patient's record of vaccinations against CDC's recommendations (www.cdc.gov/nip/issues/cochlear/cochlear-gen.htm), which show what vaccines cochlear implant patients should receive and when the vaccines should be given. The CDC Immunization Center telephone number is 800-232-4636. The TTY number is 888-232-6348.

Contact your doctor immediately if the patient has any symptoms of meningitis or middle ear infection. These may include: high fever; headache; stiff neck; nausea; vomiting; irritability; confusion; ear pain; hearing loss; loss of appetite; sleepiness or tiredness; or discomfort when looking into bright lights.

Follow your doctor's prescription for antibiotics very carefully. It is very important that you make sure the patient takes the antibiotic as often as prescribed and for as long as prescribed, so it can work properly."
The latest FDA advice notes that the new study "followed children from the original study for an additional two years. Six children with positioners developed meningitis after two years. Of these six, three developed meningitis between three and four years after implantation.

Children in the study without a positioner did not develop meningitis, but this group of children was so small it is hard to predict the risk of their developing meningitis. The study also concluded there is not enough information now to recommend surgical removal of devices with a positioner."

very good article !!

http://faculty.valencia.cc.fl.us/ar...eafWorld/chapter_notes_from_journey_into_.htm

Chapter nine was talking about the language and
literacy of the Deaf community. They were trying to
figure out ways on how to tie ASL with English. A lot of
the schools back in the days had outlawed Deaf teaching
in schools. They said that this is a hearing world and
Deaf people must learn to cope with it. This was called
oralism. The oralists believed that to cope, Deaf
children must speak. They said that if you could speak
and lip read, you could understand and communicate with
the hearing teacher.

In the 1960's and 1970's, they did a study comparing the
academic achievement of Deaf kids with Deaf parents to
deaf kids with hearing parents. The Deaf kids with Deaf
parents do better than the ones with hearing parents.
Research has also showed that children arriving at
school with the knowledge of ASL are better adjusted,
better socialized, and have more positive attitudes than
their counterparts.

They tried to find away to put English into signs so
that the deaf could understand. They hoped that English
would have been made visible to deaf children in a way
that they could understand. This led them to the
creation of MCE systems. MCE means Manually Coded
English. There were several systems of this. The
inventors of these systems borrowed ASL vocabulary and
arranged the signs in English word order, paralleling
the spoken message.

This approach wasn't a very good one because it didn't
work quite as well. The deaf still really didn't have a
good understanding of the culture of the English
language. ASL and English are completely two types of
languages with no similarities. Well, a little. The way
we conduct our sentences and words are completely
different from theirs. Teachers started to use signed
English which is really like speaking gibberish.

1. Academically, who do better, deaf kids with hearing
parents or deaf kids with deaf parents?

2. What was the purpose of MCE devices or systems?

3. What does MCE stands for?

That's what happened with me. I ended up with bacterial meningitis in 2004. My positioner has since been removed.

That's one reason why I don't like cochlear implants on children, I always believe it's a person's choice, and children cannot even make their own choices if they want cochlear implants or not. It's their ears not the parents. Parents are just embarrassed having deaf children, want their children to be normal like hearing people, But, Cochlear implants would never make anyone normal like a hearing person. ;)

Cheri said:
That's one reason why I don't like cochlear implants on children, I always believe it's a person's choice, and children cannot even make their own choices if they want cochlear implants or not. It's their ears not the parents. Parents are just embarrassed having deaf children, want their children to be normal like hearing people, But, Cochlear implants would never make anyone normal like a hearing person. ;)

In the defense of parents everywhere, I don't agree that they insist upon implanting an infant or child because they are "embarrassed." I think that they are simply mistaken in thinking that the CI is a "solution," or rather, a cure for deafness...they want their child to be able to function as normally as possible and not for nothin', there's so much hype about CI's nowadays, and there are also audiologists pushing the issue to the point where some parents certainly don't hesitate and research thoroughly...instead they go right along with it. Embarrassment, in my opinion, is not the problem.

Otherwise, I agree - children should be taught to sign and speak if it's within their capacity to do so and LATER on, if they decide that will benefit from an implant, then it's a choice they can make as a teenager or adult.

Cheri said:
You may be right about some parents !!
My mom didn't want to accept my hoh status either.. It hurt me very much.. Parents should accept who their children are .

I love that quote:

Most Deaf children are born to hearing parents. Their reaction is usually different. Many are driven by doctors to fix their child’s deafness. Whether
it is through hearing aids, surgery, audiologists, speech therapy, using
teachers that are trained in children with disabilities. The child grows up
thinking something is wrong with them. Sadly hearing parents don’t realize
that Deaf parents raise their Deaf children successfully with out many of
these expensive services.

ecevit said:
You may be right about some parents !!
My mom didn't want to accept my hoh status either.. It hurt me very much.. Parents should accept who their children are .

I'm sorry to hear that, :hug: same goes with my mother too, She never accepted my deafness even the day she recovered that my sister and I both were losing our hearing slowly when growing up. If she knew about Cochlear implants, she would have accept us both. :mad:

Cheri said:
I'm sorry to hear that, :hug: same goes with my mother too, She never accepted my deafness even the day she recovered that my sister and I both were losing our hearing slowly when growing up. If she knew about Cochlear implants, she would have accept us both. :mad:
:ty:
People don't want to see that being hoh or deaf enriches our worlds.. I lost some of my world and gained much more
I've learned to see different colors of life thanks to my half deafness :)

If only some hearies around me had seen it :ugh:
------------
sorry for being off topic

:bowdown: ~ thank you thank you thank you....

"Almost almost thin ice, I'm been condiser goes for ci" Now you're release the informaiton about ci really seriouis issues "bacterial meningitis". Oh my dear...

My body already spine it up alike crawl worms inside feelings.. *goosebumps*

:jaw: ~ whoa! I wasn't even think else more.... I'd like to nofity to my hubby 'bout this.. and best way forget about ci.. Stay firm like us we are....
"DEAF"

I hope my daughter have to accept and understand how I feel.. She dreamed and want me hear her voice and talk anything giving fill me in "listening her music voice" She wanted become singer.. and has been there practising for long time and goal involved music club soon... I do not know how can I say more w/my daughter... *shivers* I know she'll devensatad(sp)as such "upset more than 100%". So I'll try my best to talk her out... wait til next couple days becuase she staying her gramma's place for couple days.. spend time... "Grammy time" (chuckles)

GalaxyAngel said:
:bowdown: ~ thank you thank you thank you....

"Almost almost thin ice, I'm been condiser goes for ci" Now you're release the informaiton about ci really seriouis issues "bacterial meningitis". Oh my dear...

My body already spine it up alike crawl worms inside feelings.. *goosebumps*

:jaw: ~ whoa! I wasn't even think else more.... I'd like to nofity to my hubby 'bout this.. and best way forget about ci.. Stay firm like us we are....
"DEAF"

I hope my daughter have to accept and understand how I feel.. She dreamed and want me hear her voice and talk anything giving fill me in "listening her music voice" She wanted become singer.. and has been there practising for long time and goal involved music club soon... I do not know how can I say more w/my daughter... *shivers* I know she'll devensatad(sp)as such "upset more than 100%". So I'll try my best to talk her out... wait til next couple days becuase she staying her gramma's place for couple days.. spend time... "Grammy time" (chuckles)

GalaxyAngel -

Hi! You know, you can always ask that a positioner NOT be used. If I am correct, they are not big on using them nowadays anyway.

But if you're wanting a CI, there's MORE to consider than just meningitis. There is a lot of training and hard work involved, so it's always best to be 100 percent sure that it's what you WANT first. :)

Cheri said:

I agree with you but children don't have a good wise choice due to lack of better education. Though, it would be hard for children to understand what is right or wrong. I thought about same tattoo issue, Is that okay to put real tattoo on arm of children? I dont think so.

Cochlear implants issue: My friend who got CI at his adult stage. He said, it is not worth to have it and gave him a little help but not much at all. Unfortunately, He cannot get CI removed due to the high cost, and may get a serious risk of permanent injury.

I believe Hearing aids is the best solution for long term. You can swim without worrying about getting bacterial infection.

Pssst whoknow,

I lurv your sig..
Made me lauff'n every mintues.. can you resize little bit bigger.. so They can see yours..
LOL
I lurv sense humor..
1neverknow16nq.gif

Back