would you do a masters online

would you do a masters online

• yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • no

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
If you are disciplined and stick to the schedule; the school has accredidation, AND the online courses could/would be transferrable to a school in your area, then I don't see why not. But don't take my word for it.

It is not a simple Yes or No so I didn't participate in the poll.

Well, I vote no. I would not have the self-discipline to stick with any sort
of course over the internet.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I voted no. Students need the proper lecture and assistance provided by the professor. Online, there is no one there to guide you when your stuck on a problem or question. I did an algebra online course, it was impossible for me do this and dropped. I went back to the old fashion way, joined a class with human interaction and a teacher present to explain it on the overview in much greater detail.

Last edited:
I voted no as well as I am a visual learner/hands on...i cannot just read something and understand it right away

I am taking a grad course online and it is going well so far because I am a working mom and I dont want to sit in class for hours when I could be doing other stuff. I vote yes.

Good for you Shel! I wish I had the attention span to be able to do that lol but unfortunately I goof off if I am just at home ...lol good luck!

I am taking a grad course online and it is going well so far because I am a working mom and I dont want to sit in class for hours when I could be doing other stuff. I vote yes.

i agreed!!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Shel90, glad it works for you. I agree, with Alicia, my attention span would detrail me to AD and FB :lol: good luck to you.

Shel90, glad it works for you. I agree, with Alicia, my attention span would detrail me to AD and FB :lol: good luck to you.

Thanks Oceanblue and Alicia...

I think it is because I did 12 years on and off in the college classrooms. Sitting in a classroom watching an terp or a professor doesnt appeal to me anymore.

If you are disciplined and stick to the schedule; the school has accredidation, AND the online courses could/would be transferrable to a school in your area, then I don't see why not. But don't take my word for it.

It is not a simple Yes or No so I didn't participate in the poll.

is there such a thing like that?

Like Tousi posted, there are a lot of variables; it's not a simple yes-no question.

I did take many of my college courses thru distance learning, and many of my military courses were correspondence style or self-paced computer courses, so I could probably do a master's course on-line if it were offered in a major that would apply to me. I enjoy classroom lectures and interaction (that's why I enjoy interpreting college classes), so I would miss that but I could do the on-line courses.

My sister is doing her MA work in Business Administration online cuz she does not have time for class. She is taking care of two girls while she is working as manager of business services with the provincial government.

I think she will finish it up next month.

I voted yes because I have taken many classes online and find them better than being in a lecture. I took Algebra, English, Philosophy, and several others and got A's in all, so it can be done. It depends on how you learn. I teach myself often, so reading and asking questions through email was enough for me. You also have to be self disciplined, if you are not, you will fail.

I took on-line classes for education. I do not like it. I also don't like classes with an interpreter. Now, I am hoping to go into NTID to get my master's for TOD (teacher of the deaf)--and the teachers sign for themselves.

I have done correspondence course for natural health - it was the only way at the time, before I was aware of the Internet (1994-1995).

The problem with online courses is that it becomes easy to defraud the education process by simply cutting and pasting answers without really understanding the subject matter. That's what happened with a lot of the Indian "software engineers" overseas. It turned out that what they had was a piece of paper with only one logical use - toilet paper. Several major companies who hired Indian teams found out that they didn't have anywhere near the skills of their American counterparts (who started the whole thing in the first place), and they had to bring some of that work back here.

Stephanie

I know someone who got a Masters in Business through an online program at Penn State. There were times when they had to meet up for a week and work on a large project in a team. They had been working online with their team members for months before hand.

I think there were about 60 or so people in the program for that year, mostly not college age.

They had interactive time online, time for discussions online, and a lot of support behind the program. It wasn't just read this book, take this test. It was very extensive.

Last edited:
Back