Would this annoy you?

Coffee Crazy

Reaction score
At the high school I go to I'm taking ASL and it is a requirement to go to 1 deaf culture event each semester. I'm going to one this Sunday and I was wondering, a question to deaf people, would it annoy you if you were at a deaf culture event and a sign language student didn't understand what you were saying and he/she asked you to write it down? Would this annoy you?

Nah, it won't be annoying for me, I would be patient with them. I may be deaf, but I am not really involved with the deaf community or its culture.

Just remember this -- just be yourself.

I have been to several Deaf events at various stages of the learning process. I still have alot to learn by the way but i am much faster than i used to be and my receptive skills have really improved. I am not in formal classes yet just went with my Deaf friends. All Deaf i have met have been very nice and patient. Most are appreciative that i am learning. If you don't understand don't pretend you do. Even amoungst themselves i have seen Deaf clarify or repeat things. We hearing people do the same. Pretending to understand something is more annoying then asking that something be written down. they have been standing their talking to you all this time for nothing. Think how you would feel if the situation was reversed. Tell them you are a student and still learning. I always appologise that i don't know much and for asking that they go slow. It isn't really necessary that you do that but it is polite. They will be slow and most will fingerspell things out for you. Some if very comfortable will use their voice as well. If you have never been around Deaf people i hope your experience will be as good as mine. All that i have met have been very kind and a blast to be around. Not all are like that though because hello Deaf people are people too. And my Deaf friends have told me about the more mean ones who mess with hearing people who are learning ASL. I have met some really great Deaf people and have been lucky enough not to run into anyone like that. I am sure your expirence will be fine. I know you are extremely nervous. I "stutter" when i sign to a new Deaf at first because i am nervous. But i make fun of myself with them which helps me, and i think them too! LOL

The majority of the deafies I've met are patient with people learning asl... just don't be too annoying, lol, learn to fingerspell and read fingerspelling good and then if you don't know a sign, first try to act it out so they can see what you are trying to sign, if that doesn't work fingerspell it... don't take the easy way out and fingerspell it first... because a large part of asl IS acting.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you don't understand a sign when someone is signing to you, don't focus on that one sign and loose the rest of the conversation... ignor it and just keep focusing on the signer, if the sign keeps poping up and you can't figure it out one your own, then ask what it means.

Back