Would like feedback from people who use sign language

CTBriGuy

Reaction score
I have a concern. It involves a mother who works with deaf people and uses sign language frequently. She has a 3 year old son.

She decided to teach her son sign language. He is not deaf, and neither is she. It's fine to me that she wants her son to learn the skill of sign language, but every time she talks or communicates with him, she's always using sign language. Keep in mind she speaks the words as she signs.

Is this going to have a bad affect on her son as he grows up? I feel it should be his decision (when he's old enough to decide) if he wants to learn sign language. What kind of learning development will affect his behavior between the deaf world and the hearing one? Is this a good thing or bad thing that she is doing?

Your feedback would be very much appreciated! Thank you! Brian. Please email me at ctbriguy1@yahoo.com.

Why do you think it would hurt him? He is only getting extra input as a hearing child since she speaks as she signs.

If his mother just works with deaf and is not a part of the deaf community, her son is not going to have a relationship with the deaf community to be affected one way or the other.

You seem to be trying to create a problem where there is absolutely no potential for one?

Why, I wonder? Is this some kind of custody dispute?:hmm:

I agree with Botts. Both of my hearing kids are fluent in ASL and it never harmed them. I am deaf by the way. Because of me, my kids are bilingual and that could open up more job opportunities for them in the future.

I agree 100% with Bott and Shel. Research has shown that children who are bilingual (deaf or hearing) have an increased chance of educational and employment success. When the brain is able to learn a new language, that skill is transferred to other aspects of learning. By continually signing to her son, I think the mother is doing something that will be extremely beneficial to him as he grows up. Also, think about it this way: The more she uses sign with her son, the more his skills will improve. When he's old enough to enter the world of work, he could use his signing skills to help the Deaf community and/or communicate with d/Deaf clientel.

Back