Would an interpreter be used for this?

bridgek

Reaction score
I am working on my homework (I am in an ITP) and I have to come up with a picture and a hypothetical interpreting stituation. I was working on one with someone buying a vehicle would this be a stituation an interpreter would be used? I wanted to make sure before i go through this huge assignment and it not be a possiblity. Thank you very much for your help.

I am working on my homework (I am in an ITP) and I have to come up with a picture and a hypothetical interpreting stituation. I was working on one with someone buying a vehicle would this be a stituation an interpreter would be used? I wanted to make sure before i go through this huge assignment and it not be a possiblity. Thank you very much for your help.

For me, I may not use an interpreter in that situation. I would more likely bring a hearing friend, and a peice of paper and pen!

Depends. Just "shopping" for a car might not require a professional terp but filling out the credit application and signing the sales contract might require one. It also depends on how competent the deaf client feels with reading and comprehending financial and legal documents.

I've interpreted in this situation so, yes, an interpreter might be used. I was hired by the car dealer.

One of my earliest interpreting jobs was for a couple at a carpet showroom. :)

I was hired by the car dealer.

Interesting! Do you know if the Deaf person requested it from the dealer or did they do it because it was just part of taking care of the customer? From other comments around it seems like this sort of thing is quite rare; that many businesses never give it a second thought nor are willing to pay.

Interesting! Do you know if the Deaf person requested it from the dealer or did they do it because it was just part of taking care of the customer? From other comments around it seems like this sort of thing is quite rare; that many businesses never give it a second thought nor are willing to pay.

The deaf person asked the car dealer to call for an interpreter and they did. I guess the money they make off of a car sale is enough so that the cost of an interpreter is inconsequential.

The deaf person asked the car dealer to call for an interpreter and they did. I guess the money they make off of a car sale is enough so that the cost of an interpreter is inconsequential.

Yep, it's interesting and very nice.

Never used an interpreter when purchasing cars..maybe it is cuz I have confidence in my knowledge of contracts and such so I know what to expect when purchasing a new vehicle.

I asked the dealer if they know of any terps and they did. in exchange for her work, her car was detailed for free........

I personnally will prefer to use a pen and paper. the terp mixed up on a price.....

Back