Worst interpreter you ever had??

CaliSunshine

Reaction score
Here's a good topic for all members on here, heck...even terps can post about team terps they worked with that were terrible.

When I was in high school (mainstream) I had a terp who was possibly the worst human being to EVER be an interpreter. Now those years are long past me but I have never been treated so low in my life by a terp for 2 whole years. Basically she would come to work, terp, and treat me like a dog at the same time. She would tell me things like, "You are butt ugly" and "No girl in this school would date you" Heck, even one time during class my teacher was bored and let the students watch the movie "Clueless" and she would insult me while watching that stupid movie, telling me things like "Oh that man is handsome....u are not clueless Andy, ur too ugly to be at that high school!"

I begged my parents and IEP teacher to do something, make her stop, or replace her but they all just told me "Oh Andy, she aint doing nothing to you. Stop making things up" I have never felt so insulted in my life when I was in high school and she really hurt my self esteem. But that is all in the past now and the poor woman died of diabetes some years back. Karma perhaps???:shock:

Sorry you had to deal with that crap. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. I'm glad to hear that you've moved on.

I had worst terp in my life, it was most ugly woman I ever seen and I couldn't able to pay attention to her at school. Yet, I screw up at school for one day. At least.... It's only one lousy day.

In high school i had so many 'terps. One of them used to put me down all the time and make me scared lol.

Sheesh! I've had some bad terps but nothing like the OP's terp. No one deserves to be treated like that.

That terp definitely broke the code of ethics and shouldnt be in this field.

I never really had a terp who crossed the line but I have had terps who had poor signing skills. I dont think people should be terps until they are fluent in the languages they are terping for.

I have had good experiences with my Interpreters in school. But I did have one teacher at a deaf school that did nothing but fingerspell, in between her signs. She did not sign ASL at all Not even PSE. More like straight English. Spell out all the words that she did not know the signs for.

We really had to pay attention to her! A lot of kids were lost and confused in her class. Thank goodness I only had her for one semester! :lol:

Back