words and terms commonly used by the "able-bodied" to describe the disabled world

rjr2006

Reaction score
crippled
retarded
slow
"haha, you can't do anything! "
dumb
learn disabled
unwilling
low self esteem
deaf brat (COMMONLY USED BY HEARING PEOPLE WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE DEAF)

Not Normal (very common)
asexual

:ugh: RJR, one has to wonder what hole these people came out of? What horrible terminolgy.
My foster son's social worker has a brother who she is legal guardian for and she uses the terminolgy "developmentally delayed", the word retarded is so wrong.
When I was growing up, I was friends with the girl across the street, and we would fight a lot. Alway about stupid little things. Anyway, whenever we had a fight, she would start singing out in the street" Donna's parent's are deaf and dumb", and she would do this over and over again. Some of the neighbors would hear her say this, and then they would come out singing to my so called friend "Rosemary is hearing and dumb, and it's time for Rosemary to crawl back into her hole where she came from"
I used to cry all the time, my parent's tried to comfort me and tell me not to worry about it, that something will happen to her in the future and she will realize how mean she was to me.

I believe it now, because she has a lot of health issues.

I just wish people would learn how to be more sensitive to people who have disabilites, but, even with the disabilites like you RJR and my parent's, you have more to show in the way of compassion than a person who has no disablilites at all.

I am glad that you brought this up, and I hope this will be a learning tool for the "hearies" who have no common sense.
:angel:

Some "friend" that is, to behave like that, CODAChild! I hope you've left her in the dust.

I really don't know why people would say such stupid things...and I hope you don't think all of us who can hear are this way. This is embarrassing to read. :(

Rose Immortal said:
Some "friend" that is, to behave like that, CODAChild! I hope you've left her in the dust.

I really don't know why people would say such stupid things...and I hope you don't think all of us who can hear are this way. This is embarrassing to read. :(
Thank you so much Rose Immortal!! Oh no, not at all, she was the only one in my life that would say such things like that. I did leave her in the dust, because now she would call me, and I don't bother with her. She never showed any respect at all. She would love to make fun of anyone who had less than her. She was too materialistic. There are so many wonderful hearing people that are so compassionate, and they will ask questions like how they would communicate with the hearing? Can they hear anything at all? It makes me feel good because I know their questions are genuine.

I give RJR credit for making this thread, because I am sure that he has had to face ignorance like this, and yet, has not let those unkind remarks stop him at all. He is a true leader, and a gentleman.

Good...that's not someone who deserves your time. What's more, I'd say that this girl probably poked fun of your parents because she had little to be proud of in her own. Where it sounds like you were getting a lot of love and sage advice, I suspect she was getting very little of either. I may be wrong, but sometimes it really IS because of jealousy that people act that way.

I tend to get a really nasty temper around that sort of ignorance. Usually if it comes out, it's in the form of a nasty comment to whoever said the stupid thing. Not the best response, I know, but I REALLY get angered by it.

Probably one of the times I got the closest to physical violence in my life was in high school when I had the responsibility on a field trip for watching out for my teacher's daughter, who was mentally-challenged (sorry if that's the wrong word, I promise I'm trying). This daughter had personally selected me, so this was something I took very seriously indeed. There were some very, very hostile people in that class who could not understand some of her behaviors and were incredibly rude and intolerant. They badgered her on the bus and did all sorts of horrible things. But when she started feeling motion-sick, and I had to get help from my teacher, I turned around to those kids and made them go back there to fetch her--I must've had a really scary look in my eyes, because they JUMPED when I said jump. For the whole trip I felt like that, just barely restraining myself from knocking heads together. And I am NOT normally that way, believe me--it's not like I delight in the fact that I got to that point (though sadly I think it was necessary to make my classmates back off in that circumstances). I'm usually really peaceful, more likely to just not respond to something and live with the harassment if it's directed towards me.

BTW, adorable avatar.

I have more to add

"go slowly by step by step " (commonly used by transition coordinators to describe the disabled students in high school)
"you can't do this or that without me" (commonly used by transition coordinators to describe the disabled students in high school)

transition coordinators are the worst for high school students with disabilities and that my transition coordinator STILL FORGETS that I am deaf and I don't speak that well.

Sounds like that "transition coordinator" needs a good smack in the face. Or a tire over the foot.

(Which hurts like hell, BTW...I had a car back up over my toes once...)

Back