WOO HOO Classes!!!

Southern

Reaction score
Well tomorrow it begins! I start my classes to become an interpreter. I am a little nervous a lot excited. I reviewed the book a little last night, (signing naturally) and I already know so much that is in it. The quiz at the beginning I know all the answers. Still I am excited about my class. Excited to learn how to sign ASL, rather than English. Excited to learn all the little things I don’t know now that have so much meaning. I know signs only not the other things that make the grammar correct, use of space, time, amounts, things like that. I heard the teacher is tough. I hope we will get along well. Anyway wish me luck as I start a new chapter in my life. The page turns TOMORROW!! :fingersx: :giggle:

Good Luck!!!! Must be exciting to go back to the class.. think positive!! ;)

I am this is the first time i am going back to school. I learned sign informally from a friend who took classes to become an interpreter but never finished. That is why i just learned signs and not all the stuff that goes with them. I am very excited. I want to sign correctly. My friends say i worry too much about that and i do very well. They used to tell me to go to classes because they want me to be an interpreter. Now they say i don't need them. LOL but i so do. I feel mediocre in what i know and i dont like that feeling.

Taking sign language classes will help you become an even better signer than you already are. Aside from that, you might be surprised at how much you learn. If your instructor is tough, perhaps you will get more out of his/her class than you expected. I've found that the most difficult professors I've had in the past were those I learned the most from.

Good luck with your classes! Let us know how everything goes! :)

U will be fine! It is normal to feel nervous about a new experience but from reading your posts in other threads, u seem very motivated and serious about this. I think u will enjoy it! :)

Good luck!

Thanks Shel90, I am determined and like i told my boss if i make anything in the classes less than an A my Deaf friends will kill me. LOL It is the good nerves mostly. And since she is a teacher i am nervous of how she will critique my signs. I can take possitive helpful critisism. Even if it hurts if you are trying to help great. Coming into it though.... Oh well i am super excited and cannot wait!!! Just a few more hours now! LOL =)

The first one, this is ASL 1. although i don't know anything more about it i don't have it on me at the moment. We are also using the Bravo book and video series. Can't wait till my next class. There were different people who had different levels of knowledge with sign. Some knew absolutely nothing, some had never met a Deaf person before my professor, (she is Deaf). Some knew a little sign. One girl is about to my level. Not that i am super great but in this class i am the most advanced. Once the professor realized my level of knowledge she kept refering to me. "have you seen this sign before? Have you seen this?" I felt kinda bad in a way like high school teachers pet. Then i realized there is really no reason to feel that way. In a class like that there are bound to be people at different levels of knowledge. By ASL 2 i will be on the same level as the other people so it is fine.

Last edited:
That is cool! Our class also uses the Bravo (Sign Enhancers) video series and those are pretty good, although some signs on those videos have changed, such as the one for computer. I found a set of them (15 DVDs)on eBay and it was nice not having to be on a wait list at the college's library to check them out which I did originally.

The first one, this is ASL 1. although i don't know anything more about it i don't have it on me at the moment. We are also using the Bravo book and video series. Can't wait till my next class. There were different people who had different levels of knowledge with sign. Some knew absolutely nothing, some had never met a Deaf person before my professor, (she is Deaf). Some knew a little sign. One girl is about to my level. Not that i am super great but in this class i am the most advanced. Once the professor realized my level of knowledge she kept refering to me. "have you seen this sign before? Have you seen this?" I felt kinda bad in a way like high school teachers pet. Then i realized there is really no reason to feel that way. In a class like that there are bound to be people at different levels of knowledge. By ASL 2 i will be on the same level as the other people so it is fine.

True signs change constantly, just as English does since ASL is a living language. There are also regional differences. The interpreter signed computer with the "C" on the top of her hand and then to her fore arm, as if signing "improve". i have only ever seen it signed with the "C" sliding back and forth.

For my first three asl classes I used the book "A Basic Course in sign language" I really liked it. It was easy to follow and easy to understand

Now we are using Signing Naturally 2 and find it alittle more confusing, but still good.

We used Signing Naturally in our ITP, supplemented with many other materials including the infamous Green Book. I thought it was a really good classroom course. We had levels 1 and 2, but 3 wasn't out at that time, so I'd be interested to know how 3 compares with the Green Book as far as advanced ASL grammar.

I don't really like SN. I learned from A. B. C. i learned the entire book. I prefer it to SN and Bravo. The only thing that i can see that those to have over A. B. C. is the video. Also my professor, (who is Deaf) said that those books have a lot of PSE which she doesn't care for.
Side note, first quiz i received a 100% on, and i just got my second quiz back last night, another 100% on that. Next week we review for the mid term. I cannot believe it is here already!!

hey there,

so i let you know that i just came to read your post...i thought it is interesting...good luck for you =)...i have few of questions for you..what is part of florida do you live in?...where did you learn sign language?...how did you feel like to learn to sign language?..well, i've been go to florida lot..because my aunt live in jacksonville so i saw few of deaf people there..then i came to meet them to introduce myself...i thought it is cool..=)

Jville...A friend of my boss took classes to be an interpreter but never finished. He taught me using his old book. 7 weeks 1,000 signs....I loved learning ASL and still do. My best friend is Deaf. After i met him I started learning sign and now we are best friends! Now i have so many Deaf friends. I really enjoy sign and sometimes i prefer to sign rather than voice. When i am in an all Deaf setting, (most everyone around me is Deaf) then i am in a signing mode with my brain and i don't want to voice. I hate it if a hearing person comes up to me to talk, if we are at a bar or something. I know that is probably wrong of me but i voice all day everyday when i get to sign i want to do that.

oh i see cool lol...that is sounds like great..do you have any young friends know asl?....how old are you may i ask?

Back