wondering

nazziegirl

Reaction score
Can someone be neither Deaf nor Hearing?

Is that possible?

Our thoughts?

Angel-Devil-on-the-shoulders.jpg

Yes, you be either deaf or hearing (lower case).
As far as I'm concerned, if you have any hearing loss, you are deaf.

I am both hard of hearing AND Deaf-- completely deaf in my right ear, severely hard of hearing in my left, although give that one a few more years, it'll move into the profound range.

I have at least 3 friends who are completely deaf in one ear (no registered responses) and I'm guessing at least severe for at least 2 of the in the other ear and can use hearing aids pretty well (music, functioning well in hearing society- so pretty much HOH functioning)...Two of them consider themselves deaf. I THINK the third considers themselves HOH (or hearing impaired maybe)- that person's views are..puzzling at times regarding deaf & HOH in general. I knew all 3 from Gallaudet.

Don't think any of them ever considered themselves HOH AND deaf- not identity wise anyway-- 'medically/audiolically" they might have.

I am both hard of hearing AND Deaf-- completely deaf in my right ear, severely hard of hearing in my left, although give that one a few more years, it'll move into the profound range.

On an informal basis like we are here, I think you might as well just say deaf.....

Can someone be neither Deaf nor Hearing?

Is that possible?

Personally I am not for capitalized deaf or hearing identities. Long story short; it contributes to oppression.

Using the general definition, yes. Some people select not to identify themselves as Deaf or Hearing.

Personally I am not for capitalized deaf or hearing identities. Long story short; it contributes to oppression.

Using the general definition, yes. Some people select not to identify themselves as Deaf or Hearing.

You might want to butt heads with Ridor9th on this.....:lol:

Well, isn't the hoh that middle ground?

I would say I am pretty close to deaf without my HA on and hoh with my hearing on. I got a copy of my hearing test result but my audi did not write anything in , I am going to ask evaluation report with more details on it

I am more of a lip reader, cover your mouth and I cant hear... funny, its like I hear the words when I dont, just reading the lips ( my wife tested me on this as she can tell Im reading lips) when talking to me she will cover her mouth and then ask me what she said....lol

Back