Women create deaf ministry at Hopewell

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Women create deaf ministry at Hopewell | ajc.com

Vickie Hunt enrolled in a sign language class with her son last year, thinking it would be a skill that might be helpful in her continual quest to find ways to minister to people.

Terri Jackson had felt God calling her to move on from First Baptist Woodstock, where she was teaching American Sign Language 1.

When the two women met, the wheels started turning to create a deaf ministry at Hopewell Baptist, where Hunt's husband, Norman, is pastor.

Now, just a few months since they first talked, an interpreter has agreed to interpret the

9:30 a.m. service every Sunday, and plans are in the works for a Sunday school class and evening classes.

"I know that there are a lot of deaf people living in Cherokee County, but they don't go to any church," said Jackson. "I know in my heart that God wanted me to build a deaf ministry."

Jackson doesn't know of another Cherokee congregation that offers interpretation for the deaf, other than First Baptist Woodstock and Hopewell.

"It is very hard to find a church interpreter here in Georgia. Very hard. I thought it would be impossible to get one immediately, so Vickie and I went to pray hard about it," recalled Jackson. "And in about two weeks, we got an interpreter."

Cheri Zittrauer is a friend of Jackson, and first came to Hopewell when Jackson asked her to come and interpret a service for her.

"We both loved it," said Zittrauer, adding that the church is looking for a second interpreter.

Jackson was born deaf 42 years ago because her mother had German measles. Her husband also is deaf for the same reason, but their two children can hear. She credits her parents, and 14 years of speech therapy, for her speaking ability.

Jackson currently is teaching American Sign Language 2 at Hopewell, and will begin a level one class in January. She'll also begin a Sunday school class in January. She plans to teach about the deaf culture, social skills and offer a chance for those interested to hear messages from deaf speakers and special guests.

"I'm hoping the deaf ministry will be able to reach out to deaf people who are looking for a church or who are lost souls not knowing who Jesus is, and to also let deaf people know that we are here to support and help if needed," said Jackson.

Hopewell Baptist is at 75 Ridge Road, off Bells Ferry Road near the BridgeMill subdivision. To register for a class, or get more information, e-mail Jackson at terri516@comcast.net. Hopewell Baptist Church > Home.

Back