Will it harm children or pets?...

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting our house sprayed by a professional pest control service that I've seen on TV, since we've some sort of ant problems going on in our kitchen :dizzy: , since I've never personally had a professional pet control service before, all I did was buy those pest control sprays and ant traps to keep the ants from coming in, but it didn't seem to help quite well and I'm wondering if those chemicals that the professional pest control service uses will harm my children or our pets, I've tried to look thru some pest control web sites but haven't see anything that say about children or pets.... :dunno:

That's a good question! You might want to call and ask questions? We had that when we moved in here...but I don't remember if we had left the house for a day. I think we did. It has been almost 4 years since we did that. We still get ants in our house...I heard baking powder does work...I did tried that but it didn't work...maybe not enuff? :dunno:

Good luck!

^Angel^ said:
I've been thinking of getting our house sprayed by a professional pest control service that I've seen on TV, since we've some sort of ant problems going on in our kitchen :dizzy: , since I've never personally had a professional pet control service before, all I did was buy those pest control sprays and ant traps to keep the ants from coming in, but it didn't seem to help quite well and I'm wondering if those chemicals that the professional pest control service uses will harm my children or our pets, I've tried to look thru some pest control web sites but haven't see anything that say about children or pets.... :dunno:

Really? baking powder? that's something new to know, Thanks Mama2AFTIV...

or baking soda...I can't remember which one! :Oops:

^Angel^ said:
Really? baking powder? that's something new to know, Thanks Mama2AFTIV...

It can. Usually they tell you to stay out of the house for a couple of hours after they spray. Dogs and cats are usually fine. Birds are at the most risk. Spraying anything near a bird can be deadly. The pest control people will probably just tell you to cover the cage. Don't do it, get them out of the house- period. I've seen way to many dead birds. Fish shoud be covered very well or removed. Small animals like hamsters are usually fine when covered. Do seek the opinion of the pest control company as they can tell you more about the particular chemical they will use. My landlord wanted to spray while I was pregnant with little G and when I called and asked them which chemicals they were using and told them I was pregnant they decided to use others methods until I delived. Hope this helps.

Often, questions are left to the people you're having the work done from. In your case, you should ask the people who are cleaning your house.

I don't really think it would be a problem since they have been doing it for years and I'm sure they've done it at houses that have kids and pets. Why would they spray your house if it was harmful? :)

baking powder?

Very funny!

Wha... joke!

Spray chemical.... not recommend for your children and pets stay inside.. wait for a day... unless you open the window.. will reduce absorb away faster within 4 hours.. If you wish close all windows.. meaning a day.
Up to your choice..

I advise expensive yes actually up to your choice prefer..

I don't use professional. As long I used to buy "RAID spray come with scent" which it's new product than old product. Make sure that to see ant kept trails coming from where.. direct the hole.. *spray it all the way to kill ant's trail* and Bring HOTTEST WATER (best use boil water) then mop it out... and *spray it again* Ant will not coming back.. because lost scent their own trail...

I wouldn't call pest control, cuz they stink and plus you have to leave the house because it's harmful for the children and pets, My friend had a pest control over her apartment and it killed her hamsters.

I killed ants with liquid dish soap and water in a spray bottle, spray it on all of the ants and the ants drowned. It works within seconds no kidding. You know I heard ants don't like mints, you could use mint toothpaste by the hole where u think the ants are coming from during the summer time. Ants will keep away because they don't like mint. ;)

^Angel^

Why don't you take
mexican-ant-eater.jpg

your newest pet... You'll not going worry anymore.. Let Ant-eater handle it for your problem-free.. :)

How's sound good to you?

GalaxyAngel said:
^Angel^

Why don't you take
mexican-ant-eater.jpg

your newest pet... You'll not going worry anymore.. Let Ant-eater handle it for your problem-free.. :)

How's sound good to you?

:rofl: Maybe I will heh...

btw real cute!

I think they usually try to control ants by spraying around the base of the house on the outside, so it may not come in contact with children or pets at all, but do ask the company and get your questions answered. A lot of time we have controlled ants by finding where they are coming in and putting one ant-sprayed paper-towel right in that hole.

Two non-toxic alternatives:

Ants will not cross a line of cinnamon.
Boric acid (Borax Powder) - which works by being tiny little sharp crystals that slice the ant's exoskeloton, and they dehydrate and die. Works on roaches and fleas too. Totally non-toxic.

Baking powder or soda do not work.

And those pest control sprays are good for maybe 90 days. I do my own myself with the same results. and a lot more economical.

P.S. Those pest control companies will try to get you on a regular program where they come on a regular basis and the cost adds up. If you can afford it, fine.

Do you have ant problems all year around, or just at certain times? because if just at certain periods of time why not leave it to nature.
I have carpenter ants and for a few weeks in the spring they are annoying when they come out to mate, they have wings and they look gross but I leave them alone. After a while they disappear. So if it is not a permanent problem it is best to leave it alone, and its healthier too. :)
Fuzzy

I don't use toxic chemical but baking powder, icing sugar or soda powder....

We feed ants with baking powder, icing sugar or soda powder because they likes it. They bring powders to feed their families and not come back. They are dead after eat powders.

We used baking powder more than icing sugar or soda powder. If big nest - icing sugar. It works well but one year later then they come back again and built nest again then feed them again. It doesnt work if you kill them without powders or sprays etc because you will see them everyday. It's suck to see them everyday... See them once is better than everday.

Funny, I had feeling it's ants when I saw from kitchen window that Alan sat and watch on the path. (I know he loves to collect spiders, ants, worms, etc. ) I went to him but Alan said "Shh Shhh" and look at ants. We saw carpenter ants carried piece leaves and woods - (ants worker). Alan told us to leave them alone... My hubby told him that he saw ladybirds. Alan followed him to and leave me and ants alone so I feed ants with baking powder quickly without Alan see us. Alan loves to experiment kind of insects, spiders, etc. He collect insects, spiders in a glass jar... I told him to not bring jar in the house but stay outside. :ugh:

Oh ^Angel^, I had thought I mentioned to you that I had a brief tenure working as an exterminator with a Pest Control Co. years ago.... :whistle:

Actually, there are two basic types of sprays clients can request specifically when it comes to odors, there is an odorless spray that is effective but not as strong or as effective with the type that does stink. Also, having an exterminator come around on a regular basis, i.e.; once a month or every two months will increase the chances of keeping the problems minimal, also most rates are reasonable although, there are such businesses that will charge higher. It's best to check with your local Better Business Bureau to check for any useful information that will help decide which businesses could work best for the type of service you do require and need help with.

Here's a common phrase many of us will recognize, with that, ending this post with: Don't let the bed bugs bite!! :lol:

Back