Will a charity take old hearing aids?

RoseRodent

Reaction score
I've a drawerful of old hearing aids which I keep for backup but in real terms I don't use them. I figure they could do some good to someone somewhere instead of being in my drawer but don't know who I can give them to. Some are very old so unlikely to be wanted by anyone in the UK, but certainly in developing countries where there is a lot of pure conductive loss they could use these old analogues for something couldn't they? Where do I give them to?

Most are BTE aids but I do have a pair of ITE digitals - are they any use to anyone? I was told when I got them that recasing an ITE is so expensive you'd be better off to just replace with a new hearing aid, but I'm not so sure since remakes seem to be pretty common in the early trial stages, and for reasons I'm not sure I will ever fathom second hand ITE customs do seem to sell on auction sites. Will anyone take the ITE versions or must they be BTE?

Bear in mind I am in the UK, I wouldn't ideally want to ship them to the US to donate them.

Do you have such a thing as Rotary or Lion's Club in the U.K.? Rotary does a lot of international service projects; they might be able to help. Lion's Club in the U.S. does a lot of charitable work with the blind, I don't know if they have connections to deaf-related organizations, but they might be able to give you a lead.

I have the same thing. Asked my audi about it and she didn't even know. I threw out some that were from so long ago I thought they were pointless, but I still have a few that are less than 10 years old.

Truth is, though, technology changes SO fast that very few organizations want your old tech-related gear. I would guess that's likely to be true for hearing aids also.

Hey, you are good!!!

Note they don't have a U.K. address, though. It's useful for me; don't know about Rose.

Hey, you are good!!!

Note they don't have a U.K. address, though. It's useful for me; don't know about Rose.

You are correct! I always assumed International would just be all over. I wonder how hard to send them to Denmark from the UK?

Abit off point.... Lions clubs do take used eyeglasses. Now clean out that drawer full of old eyeglasses. :)

Abit off point.... Lions clubs do take used eyeglasses. Now clean out that drawer full of old eyeglasses. :)

Yes we have always done that. They have boxes available in lots of places to take them.

Back