Why is it so hard to find signing partners

Savvi

Reaction score
OK, I give up. I just don't get it. Everyone seems to be supportive and encourage ASL students but no one wants to sign with us except other students and even then it is a problem. Some of the students in my class already sign and some are beginners like me. I don't understand that but no problem. I got my book 2 months before the class started and began on my own. I am now into chapter 9 and the class is on chapter 2 so you can see I am really serious about this. I need someone to sign with besides my mirror if I am ever going to become fluent and now I am just frustrated. Those signers that are fluent do not want to be bothered and I don't want to be bothered with students that do not even read the assigned chapter until they get to class. If they do not care enough to prepare for class I don't understand why they are there to begin with. I even put an ad in Craig's List without any luck. Do I just keep trying to find someone to sign with me or am I just making a fool out of myself? Have I committed some unthinkable social error in asking for help from an ASL signer? How can I learn to use all these vocabulary words if no one will sign with me? I need someone I can meet with IRL because I do not have a viewer for my computer (I do not know what you call that device that lets you see the other person) and I can't afford to buy one now either. I guess I just need to know if it is OK to ask and should I keep trying to find someone. Please don't jump on me for asking. The world has already kicked the stuffin out of me this week and I need a break. Thanks for listening.

OK, I give up. I just don't get it. Everyone seems to be supportive and encourage ASL students but no one wants to sign with us except other students and even then it is a problem. Some of the students in my class already sign and some are beginners like me. I don't understand that but no problem. I got my book 2 months before the class started and began on my own. I am now into chapter 9 and the class is on chapter 2 so you can see I am really serious about this. I need someone to sign with besides my mirror if I am ever going to become fluent and now I am just frustrated. Those signers that are fluent do not want to be bothered and I don't want to be bothered with students that do not even read the assigned chapter until they get to class. If they do not care enough to prepare for class I don't understand why they are there to begin with. I even put an ad in Craig's List without any luck. Do I just keep trying to find someone to sign with me or am I just making a fool out of myself? Have I committed some unthinkable social error in asking for help from an ASL signer? How can I learn to use all these vocabulary words if no one will sign with me? I need someone I can meet with IRL because I do not have a viewer for my computer (I do not know what you call that device that lets you see the other person) and I can't afford to buy one now either. I guess I just need to know if it is OK to ask and should I keep trying to find someone. Please don't jump on me for asking. The world has already kicked the stuffin out of me this week and I need a break. Thanks for listening.

Why not practice with the students in your class? Are you looking for people to practice with you on yahoo or skype?

Why not practice with the students in your class? Are you looking for people to practice with you on yahoo or skype?

I can't practice with anyone on Skype because I do not have that tool that lets you see the other person on the line. I need someone in my area that I can meet with personally. The students in my class are either not serious enough to prepare or are beyond beginning signers and do not seem to be interested. I am not sure why the class has such a diverse level of students. It is a small class, only about 16 people. I am sure there are more people in this community who know ASL but just have not responsed so far and I have been looking for 2 months now.

Wirelessly posted

It's because individual Deaf seldom meet regularly, so most of them spend their precious time off-work catching up with others they haven't seen in awhile.

They didn't means to leave out the ASL student, just there are so many people to catch up with, so little time.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

It's because individual Deaf seldom meet regularly, so most of them spend their precious time off-work catching up with others they haven't seen in awhile.

They didn't means to leave out the ASL student, just there are so many people to catch up with, so little time.

Thanks Souggy. I can appreciate that and I understand. I guess if my time was limited I would not want to spend it with a student either. I guess I will put my post back in Craing's List and hope someone with more time will answer. It has just been such a really bad week I just needed to know I had not done something wrong with this too. Thanks

Do you have Deaf Coffee in your area? Have you looked for deaf events like silent dinners, or deaf bowling?

I'm sure it's no harder than finding partners for any other language.

Do you have Deaf Coffee in your area? Have you looked for deaf events like silent dinners, or deaf bowling?

The only silent supper I have found is at night and I can't drive after dark because of poor vision but it was a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure it's no harder than finding partners for any other language.

I am sure you are right Gunner but I am not trying to learn another language and I do not have another forum that will allow me to vent some of my frustration. Not to mention you guys have really good ideas. It is just so hard to learn any language and then not have anyone to communicate with! So many here have expressed feeling isolated from society for many reasons and I think I am getting a very small taste of what that feels like. It is the pits!

Check out DPHH (Deaf Professional Happy Hour)in your area, trust me, there will be more sign than you can freakin shake a stick at. Also, if you are going to a deaf school to take sign language or there is one in your area find out where the kids go to hang out at night (which bars). Here in Boston, Alston/Brighton is where a lot of Sh*^ happens.

You'll be OK...

Check out DPHH (Deaf Professional Happy Hour)in your area, trust me, there will be more sign than you can freakin shake a stick at. Also, if you are going to a deaf school to take sign language or there is one in your area find out where the kids go to hang out at night (which bars). Here in Boston, Alston/Brighton is where a lot of Sh*^ happens.

You'll be OK...

Thanks Vacation Guy. I did not know about that one. It is still light here for a couple hours after happy hour so maybe I can get to one. Thanks again.

The only silent supper I have found is at night and I can't drive after dark because of poor vision but it was a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

you lose eye on problem issues hard to visual or blind?

you lose eye on problem issues hard to visual or blind?

I am losing the vision in my right eye from old age. It happens and we make adjustments. It is usually just inconvenient and annoying. The left eye is still good so not all is lost. Thank you for your concern but I will be fine.

Does your cell phone have a camera? You could email a brief and one-sided conversation and wait for an answer. If you had a camera on your computer, I would practice with you. I was assigned a practice partner at school and she has NEVER shown up at the scheduled time. I once waited online for 2 hours for her to sign on. She also doesn't respond to my email messages, but goes on in class how she is SOOOO committed to becoming "fluent". HA!

Sorry Kitten. I do not have a camera on my computer but thank you for your offer. I am sorry your assigned partner is so rude. Perhaps you should mention the situation to your instructor. There may be someone else available to sign with you in your class.

For me, it's hard since I am so insecure and unsure of myself. I usually get too flustered and forget the signs. That's why I no longer make myself available anymore. I am trying to get better at it and I have a few people at my deaf church willing to help me.

Gosh Kristina, I never would have thought that was a problem for you from reading your posts. I thought that perhaps fluent signers were reluctant because students made so many mistakes and we are so slow. At least I do and am. I too get flustered and have to begin again on a simple sentence that still comes out SEE. I am afraid I sound like someone usng a "Dick and Jane" reader and using it badly. :( I am really happy there are people in your church willing to sign with you. Not having someone to sign with is really the pits! Maybe that is the solution to my problem. I am taking my ASL class at a church so perhaps they would allow me to post a notice on their bulletin board for someone to spend an hour a week signing with me. I feel more comfortable with that idea than I do with Craig's List. Thanks for sharing.

I am willing to sign with anyone. I'm sorry Savvi that I don't live closer, or I would meet up with you. (FYI, I'm in NYC. The DPHH closed last year.) I am on oovoo. You can PM me or just ask and I'll provide the information.

:wave:

Back