Which UK uni is suitable for deaf students?

Angel_Realm

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am interested in International Exchange Program and wanting to know which uni is better for deaf students in UK?

Ta
Rach

Hiya, I wouldn't know which uni is the best for deaf students in the UK, but there is a book called the Disabled Students' Guide to University which may be of some help. The book looks at each uni and sees what support they provide for disabled students. Heres the link to it...The Disabled Students' Guide to University book

I am currently in Bristol uni, they have an Access Unit for the deaf and disabled students, they do provide good support with different methods (i.e Interpreters, notetaking, speedtext etc)

well from what i've heard the accomondations for dhh students in the UK aren't that great. One of my friends did a project on this a couple of years ago.

deafdyke said:
well from what i've heard the accomondations for dhh students in the UK aren't that great. One of my friends did a project on this a couple of years ago.

Really? What have you heard about the accomodations in the UK for deaf students?

What have you heard about the accomodations in the UK for deaf students?
The accomondations are minimal, unless you pick a school that has a Deaf program. A lot of dhh students start out in hearing colleges, with "hearing" majors and the accomondations are so bad, that they almost have to transfer to schools that have Deaf studies programs.

deafdyke said:
The accomondations are minimal, unless you pick a school that has a Deaf program. A lot of dhh students start out in hearing colleges, with "hearing" majors and the accomondations are so bad, that they almost have to transfer to schools that have Deaf studies programs.

Oh thats interesting to read.

Im happy with my accomodation, they do provide flashing lights and vibrating alarms, but the university does have a Deaf Studies course, which Im taking. I never realised it was that bad in those without a deaf studies course

Back