Whatcha think?

Emerica

Reaction score
Deaf Teacher didn't have enuff qualify to get Master Degree for Deaf Education...

"Deaf can't read and write!" :thumbd:

Where did you get that idea? A lot of deaf students graduate from the MSSE program here at RIT.

i am totally disgree wiith it.. since i grew up in Illinois school for the deaf also just graduted.. there is few deaf teacher there and they are great teacher..

panda manda, I agree that there are FEW good deaf teachers. That's not good enough. We need more good deaf teachers to help us read and write. I think that some of them just don't know how to make up a program to help them improve. ASL is not gonna do it. *sigh* We need help in this area too. Many of my tutors and speech thearpists from school only were bulls--t in at IEP meetings. They would put things down that were never worked on. They seem to care about their money, and being authoritative.

Many of my tutors and speech thearpists from school only were bulls--t in at IEP meetings. They would put things down that were never worked on. They seem to care about their money, and being authoritative
Yeah, if us dhh kids didn't come with lots of MONEY (if a child is mainstreamed, then that particular school gets lots and lots of fedral money) then you wouldn't see mainstreaming being pushed so damn much! Most mainstream schools have no idea how to educate a dhh student (or actucally ANY student with a "classic" meaning non-LD disabilty) and you have to be a fucking battleax to get any good services!

I see many parents struggling to do this. The only parents I see most satisfied are the ones who goes after them to demand the service. Unfortunately, most parents don't seem to know what to do or have the guts to do this. I know my mother did not know what to do (I knew much more than her) and she wasn't the type to fight about things.

Can you believe that they asked my mother if they wanted me to skip the standard test or do it? Why? I passed them all. Now, if I didn't do it...what would it mean at all? I know that some deaf people just can't read or write well, but I have seen that they are far too easy on deaf students. It's not right. No wonder there are many unskilled deaf teachers. My HH teacher was encouraging me to go to this college that did not require SAT/ACT. She even told me that the reason I didn't have A's was because of my hearing loss. WTF? I knew it was my lazy attitude to my homework and studies. I didn't take them too serious after 9th grade.

My friend from my classmate in high school. She is deaf and major in teaching for the deaf.... She grauduted with Master Degree...

I think that state is discrimicial about deafies edcuation ?

I don't think it should be entirely blamed on "deaf" teachers. It should be blamed on the form of communication and materials being taught. If the teacher uses ASL, then the students are not going to develop their grammar and language properly than a student would if he or she was to use SEE. As for the materials being taught, teachers often look at deaf students as being "special" so they add more flexibility and reduce the amount of materials being taught. When I was in 6th grade, my teacher taught us idioms. Pretty much everyone who had that teacher could understand what "it's raining cats and dogs" and "work your fingers to the bone" meant. For my high school, those who graduated at the right grade level as everyone else... spent their years communicating with SEE. Those who didn't graduate at grade level, spent their years communicating with ASL.

"Deaf can't read and write!" :thumbd:[/QUOTE]

I beg your pardon regarding to this quote? It is very generalizing but I will give you a chance to explain/justify your statement there.

Granted many Deaf are not bilingual ..they are either proficient in English or ASL. Few of us have bilingual skills. But I do not consider myself fluent in ASL therefore Im not that bilingual either when it comes to using ASL.

I do believe that there is a growing awareness of instilling bilingualism in schools for the deaf so they can keep up with their hearing peers in English and their deaf peers in ASL or SEE or PSE or whatever suits them.

Ah-ha! this is true statement!!!

"Historically, deaf students have had a hard time taking standardized achievement tests, particularly in reading, said Dr. Ross Mitchell, a research scientist at Gallaudet Research Institute at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C."

Back