What years start ?

DeafMonkey

Reaction score
I am not getting CI no cause CI is not worth for me so I just want to know that I am curious what years start creative of CI ?

I just only to ask for my curious P) please do not angry or talk back or else. I only want to know what years they start creative CI that is all :ty: Thanks

Let sing about CI... "CI helps deaf people to become hearing and cure the deafness"

then CI mission statement are joke. :rofl:

The first time I think I heard of cochlear implants was in 1986 ? They were doing trial runs in 1984 ?

Heath said:
The first time I think I heard of cochlear implants was in 1986 ? They were doing trial runs in 1984 ?

No, much longer than that, I think was invented in the 70's I could be wrong, I remember Boult said that we were babies when CI were invented it has to be when I was a baby, which that would be in the 70's ;)

I first heard about CI during high school years that was in 1987.

Cheri said:
No, much longer than that, I think was invented in the 70's I could be wrong, I remember Boult said that we were babies when CI were invented it has to be when I was a baby, which that would be in the 70's ;)

I first heard about CI during high school years that was in 1987.

Nah, CI is started in Australia in 1984.

The reason I remember that was because there were school teachers talking about the C.I. and I was watching the back and forth debate between them then I came across an article about it in some magazine I think Newsweek magazine ? Not sure. That was a very, very long time ago. I was 10 years old then and the thing about it scared me was a teacher was telling me that with a C.I. you have to cut behind the ear but I thought that close to the brain. No way !!!! The teachers laughed at me because even a 10 year old kid could figure out that C.I. was not good.

Today's technology is much better and not so horrifiying to see than years ago. If I had to get a C.I. I would want today's technology than from when they first started making C.I. and cut you up and put it there and it was a big motor in between your ear and your brain. Today's technology is not too bad, small powerful technology and a small incision then put it in. The medical operation is expensive though.

The discovery that electrical stimulation to the auditory system can create a perception of sound occurred around 1790, when Alessandro Volta (the developer of the electric battery) placed metal rods in his own ears and connected them to a 50-volt circuit, experiencing a jolt and hearing a noise "like a thick boiling soup". Other experiments occurred sporadically, until electrical (sound amplifying) hearing aids began to be developed in earnest the 20th century.

The first direct stimulation of an acoustic nerve with an electrode was performed in the 1950s by the French-Algerian surgeons André Djourno and Charles Eyriès. They placed wires on nerves exposed during an operation, and reported that the patient heard sounds like "a roulette wheel" and "a cricket" when a current was applied.

In 1961, American doctor William House had Djourno's paper translated and had devices made which he implanted into three patients. In 1969, with the help of Jack Urban, House created the first wearable cochlear implant. House's technology used a single electrode and was designed to aid lip-reading. Throughout the 1970s, Melbourne, Australia, researcher Professor Graeme Clark developed implants which stimulated the cochlea at multiple points, and in 1978, Melbourne resident Rod Saunders become the first person in the world to receive a multi-channel cochlear implant.

In December 1984, the Australian cochlear implant was approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration to be implanted into adults in the United States. In 1990 the FDA lowered the approved age for implantation to 2 years, then 18 months in 1998, and finally 12 months in 2002, although special approval has been given for babies as young as 6 months in the United States and 4 months internationally.

Since hearing in two ears allows people to localize sounds and to hear better in noisy environments, bilateral (both ear) implants are currently being investigated. Users generally report better hearing with two implants, and test show that bilateral implant users are better at localizing sounds and hearing in noise. Nearly 3000 people worldwide are bilateral cochlear implant users, including 1600 children. As of 2006, the world's youngest recipient of a bilateral implant was just over 5 months old (163 days) in Germany (2004).
Source

I went to CI meeting (which that held once a month) and one lady had CI and she got it in 1982 I think. (her brand isn't make anymore, and I think she is getting a new one). SO I think Cheri is right...probably in 70's. I can find that out at the meeting in few weeks.

Back