What made you realize you were losing your hearing?

Breezy

Reaction score
My friend just asked me that and it's a very thoughtful pungent question. I've never really thought of it. For me personally it wasn't something that just happened - it happened slowly so i didn't notice it until it got really bad. I noticed that i started having trouble speaking - almost like stuttering. I couldn't say words properly and i lost all ability to say words like "asks" and "asked' and anything like that. Even still with hearing aids, though my speech has improved i can't say those coz i don't hear those words forming together.

What about you???

Actually, I don't remember at the time when I realized I was losing my hearing....I was 2 years old at the time. :)

I am sure some of the late-deafened ones (losing hearing at 5 years old on up) on AD will respond soon....but I think the majority of us are those who were losing their hearing were from birth up to 3 years old they perhaps can't remember precisely.

I don't remember when I became deaf. All I know is that I got sick and became deaf because of negligence. All I know is that I was born hearing and became deaf around the age of 1.

darkangel8603 said:
I was a baby when i realized i am deaf. Iwas born deaf.

Although do remember my hearing getting worse. At about 12 or 13 years old i realized that i cant hear barking of the dogs without aids. Before that I could hear the dogs barking frmo the kitchen when my mom came home from work (while iw as in bedroom) but now I cant hear thebarking from the kitchen or living room without my aids at all. The dogs have to be in the same room for me to hear it.. Its not the same i think but i remember that, realizing that i was getting more and mroe deaf over the year.

Going Going . . . Almost gone

I lost most of the hearing in my right ear when I was 2 years old due to Meningits, and I was doing quite well with the use of my left ear. I finished University and became a Phys. ed. teacher. But three years ago at the age of 31, I started thinking that people were mumbling, so I went to get my ears checked. Low and behold, it was discovered that I now have moderate to severe loss in my left ear and profound loss in my right ear (they don't even bother testing it anymore).
My hearing is getting progressively worse but the doctors don't know what caused it or how to stop it. I have a digital hearing aid in my left ear that has been turned up twice since receiving it. I am trying to prepare myself by taking sign language courses and finding all the available resources before I lose all of my hearing. The hard thing is that I may not lose any more hearing or I may lose all of it, it's just a waiting game right now.
I love teaching so I've applied to Mount Saint Vincent University so that I can get into the Masters program to become a teaching of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. *Fingers crossed*
I had a big "pity party" for myself initailly but now I've accepted my situation and I'm trying to make the best of it.

Honda Honey that's awesome! Maybe you could look into Gally university's Master's Program......and I know it must be a tough thing to lose your hearing, but at least you're being openminded and preparing for ANY and every possibilty! You enjoying learning ASL? I know with borderline prelingals ASL acceptance and fitting into Deaf culture varies SIGNIFICETLY....there are some hardcore Deafies, but there are some "Oh I don't need the deaf world, or I don't identify with the deaf world at all types....." Post more! I think we have a handful of borderline prelingals here!

Deafdyke where the hell is your explanation as to how you went HOH???? lol. You know i'm teasing you but i havent actually heard your story!!!

And HondaHoney that's awesome! I mean it sucks that you're losing your hearing but you're approaching it in a very good way. And it's good that you had a pity party for yourself. A lot of ppl don't allow themselves to have a few minutes to mourn and feel sorry for themselves, and i think ppl need to. I mean, if you don't then you'll never be able to fully accept what is happening. Just b/c you're losing your hearing doesn't mean that doors are closing on you: if anything, more are opening :mrgreen: Good luck and :welcome:

Lol....I thought I'd posted it..Not really appropreate for this thread, since I have been hoh since I was CONCEIVED! I have NEVER heard normally. I don't have ear canals and I don't have eardrums. My parents found out I was hoh when I was three, and got my first set of aids then!

Back