way to go Single moms

The*Empress

Reaction score
Faith Helps a Single Mom Who Does It All

Like countless American moms, Delia Barnett juggles a heap of responsibilities -- children, a full-time job, managing the home and much more.

But this 40-year-old single mother in Wichita, Kan., may have a bit more on her plate than most. Besides raising six youngsters (ranging in age from 12 to 20), she is a principal, a graduate school student and a teacher of religious instruction in the Catholic Church.

"God is good, and we laugh a lot in my household," says Barnett, twice divorced and the custodial parent of four (biological and adopted) children from those unions. Melvin, 20, Sharron, 18, Brandon, 17, and Dorian, 16, all grew up together; the family recently expanded to include Malik, 13, and Nubia, 12, (not siblings) who are the offspring of close friends.

When Malik’s and Nubia’s families sought her assistance, Barnett readily signed on as caregiver. "I am devoted to all children, but especially the African-American child," Barnett says. "I believe all children, no matter who they are, can succeed with mentorship, self pride, respect, strong morals and strong academics."

Indeed, Barnett has spent a significant part of her career educating young people, although it wasn't initially planned.

The Baltimore native initially majored in business administration and earned a degree. That work never really fulfilled her; a stint as a substitute teacher moved her in a different direction.

Talk About It
Is most African-American news coverage negative?
Chat: Join the Good News Discussion
"The urge to teach dramatically changed my focus," says Barnett, who has been principal of Holy Savior Catholic Academy (pre-K through 8th) for the last seven years. "I love what I do, helping young people."

Barnett also loves being a mother. Eldest son Melvin is away at college, but there are five active youngsters at home with varying personalities and needs -- from meals and homework to extracurricular activities such as the church youth group and track and field.

"Our family is a small country," Barnett says. "The kids have responsibilities. I keep a schedule posted so everyone knows what to do." For unity in the family, she adds, "We try to break bread together at least once a week. We also go to church every Sunday." Barnett says her parenting philosophy is to “be fair, firm and consistent -- and fair doesn’t always mean equal,” she notes. "Provide for each child according to their needs."

And finally Barnett says no matter how “cool” she may seem as a mom, she is the boss.

"There are certain decisions I make for my children -- they need parents to direct them."

Single mother that raise 6 kids? That's a whole lot and I am impressed she have done a fine job. :thumb: Because, being a single mom is no picnic. It's hard work.

I noticed the age of the 6 children that ranging from 12 to 20, not bad at all, it alot better than raising 6 toddlers :lol: ...I think I won't have any hair left if I had raise all 6 toddlers myself....

I'm always proud of single mothers out there, who worked hard for the living and raising all the children herself...Soon enough women like them will take over the men's job, since they are more tougher to handle anything?.. :naughty:

There are so many negative stories about single Mothers and their children, so it's nice to see a positive one for a change.

Thanks for posting. :)

Edit: My Mom raised me by herself until I was almost two.

Back