Virgina Flooding

B

Buckdodgers

CBS/AP) Ernesto lashed parts of Virginia with more than six inches of wind-driven rain Friday, knocking out power to 245,000 customers and flooding low-lying coastal areas. One death was blamed on the storm, and 200 homes were ordered evacuated in Richmond.

Dominion Virginia Power reported that about 150,000 of the outages were to customers in southeast Virginia and about 39,000 in the Richmond area.

Southeast Virginia was hardest hit by Ernesto, which had been downgraded to a tropical depression.

As a tropical storm, Ernesto slogged into North Carolina just before midnight, capping a day of heavy rain in the eastern part of the state and promising more of the same as it moved north early Friday.

But the system stayed just short of hurricane strength, and though forecasters issued numerous warnings, Ernesto brought no major flooding, few evacuations and no confirmed tornadoes by the time it made landfall.

The further north the storm moved, the less rain it was dropping, reports Chris Miller of CBS Radio affiliate WBT-AM, but authorities were still on guard for possible flooding.

"We've got a lot of roads, secondary roads, main roads, with water on them, or water partially on them," said Butch Beach, emergency management director in Edgecombe County, N.C., on the border with Virginia.

At least 250,000 homes and businesses were without power, reports CBS News correspondent Jim Krasula.

"We were afraid that the flooding could have been a lot worse," said Sylvia Jones, whose Wilmington neighborhood was buried under two feet of water long before Ernesto even made landfall. "It was pleasantly surprising to look outside this morning and see that the water had subsided."

After the center of the storm blew through Kinston, about 75 miles north of Wilmington, one resident said there was some street flooding, but not a lot more.

Downgraded Ernesto Drenches Virginia, State Gets More Than Six Inches Of Rain From Tropical Depression - CBS News

You know who lives in Virgina, Jim Bakker,Tammy Faye Bakker,Pat Robertson And Jerry Falwell. FEMA wont give em money but They go on TV Beg to people for money about how ernesto turned women & Children into homeless people.Then Theyre turn right around and pocket money for themselves to rebuild their homes.This is why the IRS should start taxing the churches.Churches are extempt from paying taxes its says it right in our consitution.Thats why we need congress to pass an admendment to make Churches start paying their fair share like take 40% From Sunday Services revinue by sending an IRS representive in every church on Sunday Services and take 40% out of the collection plate.Churches have to pay taxes in england so should our churches!

CBS/AP) Ernesto lashed parts of Virginia with more than six inches of wind-driven rain Friday, knocking out power to 245,000 customers and flooding low-lying coastal areas. One death was blamed on the storm, and 200 homes were ordered evacuated in Richmond.

Dominion Virginia Power reported that about 150,000 of the outages were to customers in southeast Virginia and about 39,000 in the Richmond area.

Southeast Virginia was hardest hit by Ernesto, which had been downgraded to a tropical depression.

As a tropical storm, Ernesto slogged into North Carolina just before midnight, capping a day of heavy rain in the eastern part of the state and promising more of the same as it moved north early Friday.

But the system stayed just short of hurricane strength, and though forecasters issued numerous warnings, Ernesto brought no major flooding, few evacuations and no confirmed tornadoes by the time it made landfall.

The further north the storm moved, the less rain it was dropping, reports Chris Miller of CBS Radio affiliate WBT-AM, but authorities were still on guard for possible flooding.

"We've got a lot of roads, secondary roads, main roads, with water on them, or water partially on them," said Butch Beach, emergency management director in Edgecombe County, N.C., on the border with Virginia.

At least 250,000 homes and businesses were without power, reports CBS News correspondent Jim Krasula.

"We were afraid that the flooding could have been a lot worse," said Sylvia Jones, whose Wilmington neighborhood was buried under two feet of water long before Ernesto even made landfall. "It was pleasantly surprising to look outside this morning and see that the water had subsided."

After the center of the storm blew through Kinston, about 75 miles north of Wilmington, one resident said there was some street flooding, but not a lot more.

Downgraded Ernesto Drenches Virginia, State Gets More Than Six Inches Of Rain From Tropical Depression - CBS News

You know who lives in Virgina, Jim Bakker,Tammy Faye Bakker,Pat Robertson And Jerry Falwell. FEMA wont give em money but They go on TV Beg to people for money about how ernesto turned women & Children into homeless people.Then Theyre turn right around and pocket money for themselves to rebuild their homes.This is why the IRS should start taxing the churches.Churches are extempt from paying taxes its says it right in our consitution.Thats why we need congress to pass an admendment to make Churches start paying their fair share like take 40% From Sunday Services revinue by sending an IRS representive in every church on Sunday Services and take 40% out of the collection plate.Churches have to pay taxes in england so should our churches!

Nothing new about Virginia. I was born and raised up near beach...

Perhaps, but this is of interest to alot of us. I have family in that area, so I'm concerned about it.

Rainy all day long without stopping with
the temperature 60 degrees Pretty cold
for this time of the year. Plus windy.

There are Some Flash floods but I do not see
them around here because I live on the
high level ground. This is difficult for me to
determine exactly where these Flash Floods
are located at.

Rainy all day long without stopping with
the temperature 60 degrees Pretty cold
for this time of the year. Plus windy.

There are Some Flash floods but I do not see
them around here because I live on the
high level ground. This is difficult for me to
determine exactly where these Flash Floods
are located at.

Thank you. My grandmother lives in Maryland, but I'm concerned about the general area. We also have a storage unit with our belongings in it up there. So, yeah, it's of a concern for me. I also have friends in the area as well.

I'm not sure which towns in Maryland you are
concerned about.

I will let you know later if I know which towns
were you referring to.

Last edited:
Nothing mentioned about Talbot County
That's Good !

There are some tidal floods at
Cobbs Island in St Charles County,
St Mary's County, Indian Head, and
Solomon's Island areas

Nothing mentioned about Talbot County
That's Good !

There are some tidal floods at
Cobbs Island in St Charles County,
St Mary's County, Indian Head, and
Solomon's Island areas

I saw. Thanks, Y. :)

We have friends that live in Charles Co.

Back