TTY Usage

kerryc

Reaction score
Hi, I am a hearie and I am new to this forum so "bear with me" :)
My question is this: When using a tty and you are connected to an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System and you are told for example, "press 1 for blah" or "press 2 for blah blah"...how do you make the tty send the number you want? I would appreciate any help I can get.

You connect through a relay service? For making a selection, if you want to select "1," you type "1 ga". I've done this before with My IP Relay over AOL Instant Messenger.

kerryc said:
Hi, I am a hearie and I am new to this forum so "bear with me" :)
My question is this: When using a tty and you are connected to an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System and you are told for example, "press 1 for blah" or "press 2 for blah blah"...how do you make the tty send the number you want? I would appreciate any help I can get.

If you use a coupler with your TTY you can just press the button on the phone.

farmerjoe said:
Thanks for your quick response. However, I should have clarified in my initial message that I am using a direct-connect Ameriphone Q90D.

farmerjoe said:
Hi Famer Joe, I do not use a coupler because I use a direct connect. Do you know how to send numbers when prompted by a voice response system?

kerryc said:
Hi Famer Joe, I do not use a coupler because I use a direct connect. Do you know how to send numbers when prompted by a voice response system?

I feel kind of dumb because I just realized that what I previously suggested probably won't work. When making a regular relay call with a TTY, the operator sees what you type but the person your calling dosn't hear any of the TTY "noise" and thus an automated system won't "hear" you pressing buttons on a touch tone phone. oops.

I always use 2-line VCO calls when I call through the relay, so when I hit the button on my phone the automated system hears it.

I'm sorry if I got your hopes up but unless you're using some sort of VCO method of calling, I don't think there's any way you can "press 1" for yourself.
---
You say you're hearing.. what sort are calls do you usually make with your TTY?, if you don't mind me asking.

farmerjoe said:
I feel kind of dumb because I just realized that what I previously suggested probably won't work. When making a regular relay call with a TTY, the operator sees what you type but the person your calling dosn't hear any of the TTY "noise" and thus an automated system won't "hear" you pressing buttons on a touch tone phone. oops.

I always use 2-line VCO calls when I call through the relay, so when I hit the button on my phone the automated system hears it.

I'm sorry if I got your hopes up but unless you're using some sort of VCO method of calling, I don't think there's any way you can "press 1" for yourself.
---
You say you're hearing.. what sort are calls do you usually make with your TTY?, if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks for the info. To answer your question, most of the TTY calls I make are test calls. I work for a state agency in Texas. We help to administer 9-1-1 service throughout the state and I assist with coordinating TTY training for 9-1-1 call takers.

Thanks for your quick response. However, I should have clarified in my initial message that I am using a direct-connect Ameriphone Q90D.

Hey kerryc sorry for my very late posting to this thread but I just found it, I was wondering how you like the Q90D as I am planning on buying one shortly and would love some feedback on it if possible.

I am also a hearing person but I have a speech impairment which has made me decide to buy a TTY.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely yours,

John

Back