TTY programs for Mac?

Presbyter

Reaction score
I would like to look into gettng an analog phone line plugged in my new Mac. Is there a program I can install on my Mac that would behave like a TDD or a TTY where I can make and recieve calls from/to the relay system? Can one suggest something?

Presbyter

I think you're better off buying a real TTY machine because there's no "good" TTY programs for Mac. You could try Nextalk on NXi Communications Inc. - Home Page (2001-2006), tho you might need a intel Mac to run a Windows program WITHOUT having Windows on your system. There's a software that makes it possible, I believe. I forget the name of the software that does it. You could also try "Boot Camp" which will make intel Mac run Windows XP or whatever.

I do not know if you have a intel based Mac or a old PowerPC Mac, which I have a PPC Mac, too.

You can find used TTY machines less than what softty charges for the program. If you're deaf, you could rent a TTY from the state.

I just tried and it is not blank.

try again... SoftTTY Home Page full link

Thanks, I was able to view the site. I like what I saw at the site. Can it received calls? I like the AIM popping up before all the applications while I'm working. Can I set the softtty program to do the same like pop up a window while I'm using another application. I already have a real TDD, sequoias, I may hook both the TDD and the Softtty to the new anolog line.

Presbyter

If your new Mac is running Mac OS X only. Check out the requirement you need to get upgrade download.

Will SoftTTY run on Mac OS X?

Answer: Yes, version 1.4 runs natively on Mac OS X. You can download the update from our web site.

I think you're better off buying a real TTY machine because there's no "good" TTY programs for Mac. You could try Nextalk on NXi Communications Inc. - Home Page (2001-2006), tho you might need a intel Mac to run a Windows program WITHOUT having Windows on your system. There's a software that makes it possible, I believe. I forget the name of the software that does it. You could also try "Boot Camp" which will make intel Mac run Windows XP or whatever.

I do not know if you have a intel based Mac or a old PowerPC Mac, which I have a PPC Mac, too.

You can find used TTY machines less than what softty charges for the program. If you're deaf, you could rent a TTY from the state.

CodeWeavers - CrossOver Differentiators

You will see this one is better. It's low cost that works fine with Window without Window system running. But it does not support on PowerPC. I can't get 60 day trail download. If anyone who have newer Mac then they are lucky.

I was the developer for SoftTTY. It is great there was some interest after I stopped working on it and got a full time job. Nowadays the usefulness of a TTY is limited with most cell phones now supporting built in TTY.

Back