TTY for Cell phone/Land phone

Michael_Schaap

Reaction score
Hey all! My name is Michael and this is my first post here. Man am I confused.

Here's the deal. I have a Verizon LG. I can talk on the phone and all but understanding has been getting difficult these past years. I basically text. I text anyone I can text. I've been giving the phone to my wife if I can't understand an important call and when I get a msg I wait for someone to interpret it as well. Trying to figure out a way to reduce that burden from her.

So the way I see it, I'm looking at a TTY for my cell phone. I do not have a land line now. Are TTYs still the way we are talking to people on phones? Got a friend who sent me to some sprint site and another friend who said he uses his Blackberry... but you can't use a blackberry to order a pizza. Thats why I thought that like the Compact/C TTY would be what I need. They uped the memory too. Now 32k. (careful, some companies are trying to ditch us the old ones with 8k!) They have another TTY out there but it does not close.... you can get a printer for it though which is cool.

Just want to make sure I'm up to date with the times you know. So what do you think:cool2:

Michael

Here's the deal. I have a Verizon LG. I can talk on the phone and all but understanding has been getting difficult these past years. I basically text. I text anyone I can text. I've been giving the phone to my wife if I can't understand an important call and when I get a msg I wait for someone to interpret it as well. Trying to figure out a way to reduce that burden from her.

So the way I see it, I'm looking at a TTY for my cell phone. I do not have a land line now. Are TTYs still the way we are talking to people on phones? Got a friend who sent me to some sprint site and another friend who said he uses his Blackberry... but you can't use a blackberry to order a pizza. Thats why I thought that like the Compact/C TTY would be what I need. They uped the memory too. Now 32k. (careful, some companies are trying to ditch us the old ones with 8k!) They have another TTY out there but it does not close.... you can get a printer for it though which is cool.

Just want to make sure I'm up to date with the times you know. So what do you think:cool2:

Michael

Actually, you can order pizza through Blackberry. All you need is data plan and instant messenger (such as AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and Live Messenger) which you can use relay services to place an order or talk with hearing people.

Actually, you can order pizza through Blackberry. All you need is data plan and instant messenger (such as AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and Live Messenger) which you can use relay services to place an order or talk with hearing people.

So are these the 'new' TTYs now? Is this how people are using the relay service now?

Whomever make TTY available on cell phone is kinda too late.

So are these the 'new' TTYs now? Is this how people are using the relay service now?

Sort of, yes. There's few ways to use the relay service besides TTY - there's VP (video phone) with an interpreter, web-based relay service, and instant messenger on PC/mobile.

You can get information on about relay services:
Sorenson Communications - Connecting You
IP-Relay.com

Whomever make TTY available on cell phone is kinda too late.

That's true...

Sort of, yes. There's few ways to use the relay service besides TTY - there's VP (video phone) with an interpreter, web-based relay service, and instant messenger on PC/mobile.

You can get information on about relay services:
Sorenson Communications - Connecting You
IP-Relay.com

That's true...

Hmmm... so far it looks like there would be additional charges. Well if I was to go the TTY route right now which one is better? Or are they both about the same?

It's not if you use your phone carrier's unlimited data plan (Internet access), the call is basically free. Yes, you probably will have to buy a smartphone device (such as Blackberry) and pay monthly for data plan, etc...

You can go TTY route - that's no problem, but using instant messenger is much easier. If you want hearing people call you, IP-Relay and Sorenson can give you your personal 10-digit number (that you give to hearing people) and they can call direct to you. It's little better than when they call you and you try to hook up your compact TTY to cell phone in hurry.

Michael

tty practically dead for few years already

want talking hearing people or order pizza? use ip relay on smart fone blackberry save text future printing copy paste and email

yeah - tty still exists but it's considered anceint technology now. If you are still intending to get tty for your phone, think about this for a minute. IF you need to make a call, you have to have the current phone you got now, bring the tty along too. There can be no ohhh! i forgot it, its int he car , ill be right back thing. Then you gotta hook it up and then place the call to the tty opr. then you can place call to hearies. oh yeah , don't forget the air time for phones and using the tty dramatically extends your talking time since its takes time to type, wait for conversation to take place, read, then type back then wait , etc. you will eat up your minutes with your cell phone quickly.

Now , try it our way- get a smartphone like blackberry and data plan only. sprint and other providers charge only about 40 bucks a month for unlimited use. Using your BB, place a call to a relay service using either a chat program or a built in software like sorenson's. Now, there is nothing else to carry, just the smartphone, you got a pager to do a whole bunch of other stuff like GPS, internet, weather news, sports, games, carry info from your pc, connect your laptop to internet, keep memos, listen to music,read ebooks etc etc etc.

so which do you want to do? keep your phone, buy a compatible tty to conenct to your cellphone, carry it?
How much is breaking the contract on your cellphone ? It might be cheaper then buying a tty for it and get a smartphone to do the same thing need to do with less junk? even if you went with something like a simply everything plan from sprint for talk and data , its much cheaper due to the air time and unlimited data for online chat with relay.

Hmmm... so far it looks like there would be additional charges. Well if I was to go the TTY route right now which one is better? Or are they both about the same?

All phones (less few years old models) will work with TTY; HOWEVER, many newer phone does not have 2.5mm headset connector port as they are becoming more common for bluetooth headset. I do not know if there is a Bluetooth TTY available, (I doubt it). I know BB Curve can do TTY but you would have to get 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter to make it work with Q90 portable TTY.

I hate carrying things. I really hate carrying things. That is one major thing I am thinking of. Right now I emailed Verizon. I have unlimited Text. Dont know if that is what I need. I know to get the Internet through them cost an arm and leg. Grr.....

yeah - tty still exists but it's considered anceint technology now. If you are still intending to get tty for your phone, think about this for a minute. IF you need to make a call, you have to have the current phone you got now, bring the tty along too. There can be no ohhh! i forgot it, its int he car , ill be right back thing. Then you gotta hook it up and then place the call to the tty opr. then you can place call to hearies. oh yeah , don't forget the air time for phones and using the tty dramatically extends your talking time since its takes time to type, wait for conversation to take place, read, then type back then wait , etc. you will eat up your minutes with your cell phone quickly.

Now , try it our way- get a smartphone like blackberry and data plan only. sprint and other providers charge only about 40 bucks a month for unlimited use. Using your BB, place a call to a relay service using either a chat program or a built in software like sorenson's. Now, there is nothing else to carry, just the smartphone, you got a pager to do a whole bunch of other stuff like GPS, internet, weather news, sports, games, carry info from your pc, connect your laptop to internet, keep memos, listen to music,read ebooks etc etc etc.

so which do you want to do? keep your phone, buy a compatible tty to conenct to your cellphone, carry it?
How much is breaking the contract on your cellphone ? It might be cheaper then buying a tty for it and get a smartphone to do the same thing need to do with less junk? even if you went with something like a simply everything plan from sprint for talk and data , its much cheaper due to the air time and unlimited data for online chat with relay.

To radioman - are you sure you're not a salesperson in real life? You did pretty good job on selling! :thumbup: :)

To radioman - are you sure you're not a salesperson in real life? You did pretty good job on selling! :thumbup: :)

LOL!. I can be very opininated if i wanted to be. No I am not a sales person and never sold a thing. thanks for the compliment though.:giggle::ty:

compactc.jpg

Ultratec » Products » Text Telephones » Portable TTYs » Compact/C

Back