TTY and TTD question

patyrod

Reaction score
Hi.

My mother is almost completely deaf. She lives in a retirement home which has a building phone system. We would like to get her a text-enabled answering machine which does not have a phone. We want to plug it into the standard corded phone that the retirement home gives to everyone. Is there such a machine for corded phones? I have been searching on the internet, but have found only TTY/TTD answering machines with phones or that use cell phones or cordless phones.

Thanks!

Paty

CapTel News - Fall 2005

This is a little backwards of what you asked, but CapTel phone can be used and get the audio message in text. The link will explain how.

I forgot to mention that she already has the captioning service. We want to get her an answering machine which will display the messages people leave in text form and also show the number of the person who called.

Here is the instruction on how to use CapTel with a regular answering machine.

Get the Message! Using CapTel with Answering Machines

HELPFUL TIP: When you record your outgoing answering machine ”greeting”, ask that callers leave their message slowly and clearly, to insure the best possible captions.

Did you know that you can read captions of voice messages left on an external answering machine with your CapTel phone? It’s simple! Make sure the answering machine is close to the CapTel before you begin, and then...

1. With the CapTel handset hung up, press the ”MENU” button until ”Caption External Answering Machine Messages” appears in the display.

2. Press the button next to ”OK.”

3. Pick up the CapTel handset, and place the handset mouthpiece next to the answering machine speaker. In many cases, you may have to put the handset on top of the answering machine, if that is where the answering machine’s speaker is located. Make sure the mouthpiece is close enough to ”hear” the messages as they are played aloud.

4. CapTel will automatically dial the captioning service. Watch the CapTel display to see when a connection is established.

5. Start playing the voice messages aloud on your answering machine. Watch the CapTel display to see captions of the voice messages.

If you do not see captions, or if you see ”(Unclear)” during message captions, you may need to re-position the handset mouthpiece for maximum clarity.

There is a program that will pop up a screen on the TV that informs someone has phoned and someone has left a message on the front door.

I forgot this program and it worked when I lived in Ottawa, ON.

It is a wonderful feature to use. I will have to get back to this post when I google up this.

Does she have access to email? If so, she could get an IP Relay phone number (one that is assigned to her exclusively) and anyone can call that number and leave a message - it is then translated into text and can be read via email (it is done instantly so there's no wait if she is waiting for a message.) It's what I use all the time and works like a charm, but you do have to have email to make this work. Just an idea.

My cell phone has visual voice mail. I can get voice mail on it visually. It also has the ability to do text (sms) to land line. I have not tried the text to land line though. Furthermore, If I need to know when someone is calling, leaving a voice mail, sending me a text, etc.. the phone will vibrate.

Back