Truck Driving Hearing Requirements

juliae

Reaction score
Did any of you know this?

There's a federal rule that if you want to drive a truck over 10,000 lbs (I think), you have to be able to "hear a forced whisper, at not less than 5 feet, with a hearing aid if necessary".

Why is that?

never heard it but it makes sense. With that much ass to be hauling around i'd suspect you would need to hear something - i know they can be very noisy.

I think that rule is stupid. I used to have a CDL class B and I never found myself limited by hearing loss. I can't think of anything on a truck that you need to hear to drive it safely. Hearing drivers probablyu can't hear much outside of the cab either.

Did any of you know this?
Boy law change..
20 yr ago me drive semis 8 yrs.. health for DOT they know me have 110 dbls loss lft ear & 78dbls loss rt ear...
me drive cross country.. Haul vegs frozen food cigs booze cotton shrimp...
me do know more abt semi then smost men... Can drive 14 air spicer... 2 stick is brownie trans... 13 speed ur new trans.... Me do not need hear shift gears U watch ur techomoter... Depend wht tran u have.. 2800/1700 or 2300/1400 u shift gears... U own ur truck U can up gov make ur truck go fast.. U catch by DOT U may face fines.... Or go down hill U float U catch U trouble... go down up hills steep hill U need keep eye on ur brake They hot catch fire... Why u see lot truck side of hills steep let brakes cool down...
run away stops not for cars take breaks.. U may find Truck ontop ur car.. these for trucks tht brake catch fire have no brakes.. It stop trucks!
Bingo cards no play Bingo.. They card what state u have tax drive there state.... yes U pull in weight staition U better have bingo card log book they call u in... U haul load U need ur paper work load...
U haul gas booze shrimp tuna cigs U have call in every 2 hr... They give u route.. U off there route or do not call in.. U bet they have FBI look U... These is load ppl highjack! They give U 15 min over 2 hr...
Drive semi not same ur drive car or pickups.. u may not stop on dime!
U have make wide turns.. U can zero see on ur right side of semi... Windy u have lite load U can jacknife easy! This why they make a jake break...
Yes do miss open road.. me go down same road 50 millons time never same.. May a new rock be on side raod sunset differnet... Do not miss dispatch who have know abt load 5 day before... tell me load need be there 3500 mile away in 24 hrs! Yes can be do.. U have no sleep... u have 2 log books 1 company othr lie DOT... How do we lie QQ... LOL They may kill me get answer me.... LOL
Thk God me no drive now they change law... Never had accedent only couple speed tickets...
Any driver out here.. Coffee or greatfruit juice do zero keep U wake time sleep!

LMM

I've had class A cdl since January 1996, drove for a few different companies, one or two were small outfits with the emphasis on small, which is what paycheck was. Never was O/O, considered it, that quickly faded. Companies stress safety, but the drivers' have no choice but to do "creative logging." I will always keep up cdl, but will not drive anymore, as companies aren't what they appear to be in their advertisements or in person. Pretty truck, mean company and dispatchers. Never again! :nono:

Yeah were gonna be seeing more of these things popping up everywhere as people get overeactive to safety needs. Unless we stand up for our rights to work, more and more of these subtle restrictions creeping up into our society.

Really the ears dont play any role safe driving if you can train your eyes to be superviligant with what's happenening around you. Besides the truck makes enuff noise itself to render inside cabin noise obsolete.

So, dont we see that this is not about the ears, its about picking on a specific society.

Nesmuth said:
Yeah were gonna be seeing more of these things popping up everywhere as people get overeactive to safety needs. Unless we stand up for our rights to work, more and more of these subtle restrictions creeping up into our society.
I'm not sure what you mean. This regulation is an old regulation promulgated from the Department of Transportation (DOT), I believe. I found about this 'subtle' restriction when I was at NAD in Summer of 1996.

I generally agree with you that this regulation is antiquated and should be scrapped. The only way to do this is to go through the DOT's administrative processes, and hope for the best in an administrative ruling. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

And yes, we must be ever vigilant against new ones that may pop up on the horizon, restricting our abilities to do certain things based on unfounded fears or misconceptions about Deafness and safety issues.

Hello all, I'm helping LMM... Terp her words for her...

I found a company that was hiring... this was before I own my own rig..
The owner told me " I don't hire females let alone a Deaf lady.. but if you can
prove to me that you know how to drive... I will have to eat my words..
he took me out to a flied.. There sat ole Besty... I jump in the ole rig started her up... drove her out of the flied..down the road... My boss look at me..
Got back to his place.. he said "damm i have eat my words & hire you!" I ask him "why is ole Besty sitting in your flied?" " None of my drivers know how to drive her." he said. "Can I drive her for you?" " Hmmm. I firgure you would want to drive one of the 13 speeds. Or do you know how to drive a 13 speed?" " "Hell yes, I have been around semi all my life, My grandpa taught me how to drive." He own his own company.
I drove for this company 3 yrs.. if my boss need a drive to pick up one of his semi, cuz driver would get piss & quit, leave company truck in other state.. My boss would fly me out, I would pick up truck... Haul back load...
I have only hire maybe about 4 lumppers, whole time I was on the road..
I did all my unloading.... while load skeeds, workers on dock.. would have look on there face's "Wow, look at her work!"...
I can prove proof that I have drove semis... That I have a total deafness...
That never stop me from doing any thing that I wanted to do, If hearing people can do it, why should it stop me?.. I might have go about a lillel differnetly, but at the end be the same.
Yes I have stand up since I was teenage, for anything a hearing person can do I can do!

LMM

LMM said:
Hello all, I'm helping LMM... Terp her words for her...

I found a company that was hiring... this was before I own my own rig..
The owner told me " I don't hire females let alone a Deaf lady.. but if you can
prove to me that you know how to drive... I will have to eat my words..
he took me out to a flied.. There sat ole Besty... I jump in the ole rig started her up... drove her out of the flied..down the road... My boss look at me..
Got back to his place.. he said "damm i have eat my words & hire you!" I ask him "why is ole Besty sitting in your flied?" " None of my drivers know how to drive her." he said. "Can I drive her for you?" " Hmmm. I firgure you would want to drive one of the 13 speeds. Or do you know how to drive a 13 speed?" " "Hell yes, I have been around semi all my life, My grandpa taught me how to drive." He own his own company.
I drove for this company 3 yrs.. if my boss need a drive to pick up one of his semi, cuz driver would get piss & quit, leave company truck in other state.. My boss would fly me out, I would pick up truck... Haul back load...
I have only hire maybe about 4 lumppers, whole time I was on the road..
I did all my unloading.... while load skeeds, workers on dock.. would have look on there face's "Wow, look at her work!"...
I can prove proof that I have drove semis... That I have a total deafness...
That never stop me from doing any thing that I wanted to do, If hearing people can do it, why should it stop me?.. I might have go about a lillel differnetly, but at the end be the same.
Yes I have stand up since I was teenage, for anything a hearing person can do I can do!

LMM

LMM,

:applause: BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well written, though the grammar is a little off, you got the point across and you did GOOD. Yes, I said that on purpose and masacred the English language. :)

I am very proud of you, LMM!

It bears to be repeated.."...anything a heraing person can do, I can do!"

Does anyone on the forums want to disagree? If so, I think LMM will take care of any more misconceptions and did so eloquently. :applause:

Back