Translating english to ASL

Sintax

Reaction score
I need help translating a song into sign. Can anyone help me?

Thats generally something best done in person. Its sometimes rather difficult to convey signs over the internet. My best advice to you would be to look to signs up on an online video sign dictionary.

What song are you trying to sign?

Breaking Free- Highschool musical. Seriously that song is all metaphors and have no idea how to translate metaphors. It's really hard.

you said true asl. This can't be done by writing it in asl grammar as facial expressions are included in the grammar. there are classifiers. it would be difficult to gloss it for you properly. See if you can find a deaf person fluent in english and asl to sign it for you this would be the best way.

I can do facial i just need to translate the song. Since the song is virtually encoded with metaphors it's really hard to do and my skills aren't good.

I can do facial i just need to translate the song. Since the song is virtually encoded with metaphors it's really hard to do and my skills aren't good.

Are you interpreting for a grade in a class, or are you going to be the interpretor for this event? If you are going to be the actual interpretor for this event, I might suggest rethinking that. Especially if your skills are not that good, you need help in person this is not something that can just be given online.

I just went online and looked at the lyrics of this, it doesn't seem like a hard song to do. Your hard part if your sign skills are not that good, will be to try to really show the difference between the two separate singers and then the chorus.

Troy:
We’re soarin’, flyin’
There’s not a star in heaven
That we can’t reach

Gabriella:
If we’re trying
So we’re breaking free

Troy:
You know the world can see us
In a way that’s different than who we are

Gabriella:
Creating space between us
‘Til we’re separate hearts

Both:
But your faith it gives me strength
Strength to believe

Chorus #1
Troy:
We’re breakin’ free
Gabriella:
We’re soarin’
Troy:
Flyin’
Both:
That we can’t reach
Troy:
If we’re trying
Both:
Yeah, we’re breaking free
Troy:
Oh, we’re breakin’ free
Gabriella:
Ohhhh
Troy:
Can you feel it building
Like a wave the ocean just can’t control
Gabriella:
Connected by a feeling
Ohhh, in our very souls
Both:
Rising ‘til it lifts us up
So every one can see

Chorus #2
Troy: We’re breakin’ free
Gabriella: We’re soarin’
Troy: Flyin’
Both:
That we can’t reach
Troy:
If we’re trying
Yeah we’re breaking free
Gabriella:
Ohhhh runnin’
Troy:
Climbin’
To get to that place
Both:
To be all that we can be
Troy:
Now’s the time
Both:
So we’re breaking free
Troy:
We’re breaking free
Gabriella:
Ohhh , yeah

Troy:
More than hope
More than faith
Gabriella:
This is true
This is fate
And together

Both:
We see it comin’
Troy:
More than you
More than me

Gabriella:
Not a want, but a need
Both:
Both of us breakin’ free

Chorus #3
Gabriella: Soarin’
Troy: Flyin’
Both:
That we can’t reach
If we’re trying
Troy: Yeah we’re breaking free
Gabriella:
Breaking free
Were runnin’
Troy:
Ohhhh, climbin’
Both:
To get to the place
To be all that we can be
Now’s the time
Troy: Now’s the time
Gabriella: So we’re breaking free
Troy: Ohhh, we’re breaking free
Gabriella: Ohhhh

Both:
You know the world can see us
In a way that’s different than who we are

---------------------------------
these are all pretty basic ASL words.

This is for a class. The problem is that I don't know how to translate the metaphors. Like "Breaking Free" and put them into glosses. I can find the Signs from someone else, I just need the translations.

This is for a class. The problem is that I don't know how to translate the metaphors. Like "Breaking Free" and put them into glosses. I can find the Signs from someone else, I just need the translations.

I dont know that there is an actual sign for the "phrase" breaking free. Why cant you just use the sign for break then sign free?

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/phrases

this is a website for phrases in asl.

I guess im not so much understanding exactly what you need, or why this is more complicated than just signing break then signing free?

My teacher said that some songs have metaphors. They song doesn't mean literally "Breaking Free" becuase it wouldnt make any sense.

I need to convert an english paragraph into an ASL paragraph that I have to record a video of me signing for ASL 1. Can any one help me conver the English paragrapg to ASL?

Signing Breaking Free

I dont know that there is an actual sign for the "phrase" breaking free. Why cant you just use the sign for break then sign free?

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/phrases

this is a website for phrases in asl.

I guess im not so much understanding exactly what you need, or why this is more complicated than just signing break then signing free?

You need to take the idioms, decide their meaning, then look for the signs that can express that in the same amount of time that the words use. I'm not familiar with the song but I might sign: "escape", "become myself", "changing rules", "rebel _____" whatever fits their meaning

Back