Total Communication

Total Communication still same both See/ASL for everyones...
Out there has no rules for that..

I believe I do ASL but still counts Total Communication too...

New signers

I grew up in mainstream, so I only knew fingerspeeling, and certian signs that were both ASL asn English, I was oral too! Now I sign a mixture of ASL and English. Its hard going to a school where some kids talk, others use asl and yet the rest use english. I like tc where kids are given the ability to do both, talk and sign that way we can choose the world we want to live in, deaf or hearing. Me I prefer the deaf world, but it doesnt prefer me, lol due to my odd singing skills. But how can I do better than what I was taught and I go to Gally, a deaf University!

Good post, yes, the true essence of total communication is to provide the approach that works best for a particular child. It's an educational approach, it doesn't mean YOU are tc because you use different modes of communication. The original idea was great, but eventually turned into signed english used simultaneously with speech. There are still true tc programs, tho. Bilingual-bicultural philosophy use ASL primary, english secondary. Technically, a tc program can teach using this philosophy. But they can also teach using english primary, asl secondary; it doesn't have to evolve into this sim-com signed english approach that many schools are using now. It depends on the needs of the child.

Nobody "signs" TC...

It is a philosophy used by some programs.

People sign ASL, SEE, Sim-Com, or PSE, Auslan, BSL,a nd so on.

Nobody "signs" TC...

It is a philosophy used by some programs.

People sign ASL, SEE, Sim-Com, or PSE, Auslan, BSL,a nd so on.

No wonder TC didn't work for me when I was a kid. TC was totally a screwed up commuication method for me.

You know, I remarked a few days ago that people were pulling outdated and disproven methods out of the grave and trying to resurrect them based on the CI. Now they are pulling old threads about the same out in AD.:laugh2:

You know, I remarked a few days ago that people were pulling outdated and disproven methods out of the grave and trying to resurrect them based on the CI. Now they are pulling old threads about the same out in AD.:laugh2:

I think Shel was just bored by the snow day yesterday.

Could be. especially if she has been housebound.

Hahahaha..very funny. I was sent this link via PM and I clicked it and replied to it, not looking at the dates.

Hahahaha..very funny. I was sent this link via PM and I clicked it and replied to it, not looking at the dates.

Hey, I was housebound with the snow for a couple of days...I was bored to tears.:giggle:

use a "terp" sometimes, but I often "voice" for myself. Some places, I am oral. Other places, I am mostly manual. sometimes I use SIM-COM. I like to communicate in whatever way I can. Sometimes people don"t really understand that I might want to spend time in "both worlds." TOTAL COMMUNICATION (for me) means "clear" communication. It means caring enough to take the time to communicate. That builds TRUST between people from different cultures and language groups.

Actually wait...Total communication as a communication philosophy, is pretty much what many of us dhh adults do. It is a crappy first language option since it's not a whole language option. Again, the debate over which language should be a kid's first language. I do think that most kids can very easily aquire both speech and sign....after they aquire speech and sign, they can use both sign and speech to code switch.

Back