Tides of Deaf Talent at the Royal & Derngate

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
BBC - Tides of Deaf Talent at the Royal & Derngate

A lady from Northamptonshire has fought all the odds to perform her own show.

Victoria Curtis was born deaf and has battled with cancer. She won a talent contest to perform a solo dance called Butterflies of forgiveness.

It is part of the Tides of Deaf Talent day which is taking place at the Royal and Derngate in Northampton.

The show also includes Caroline Parker who is one of the actresses from the TV series Murphy's Law.

Victoria believes that acting and performing helped her deal with bullying at school. Although she was deaf she went to a normal school and had to learn with all the other children. She said: "I couldn't follow the conversation that was going on in the class."

Competition gave her confidence

None of this deterred Victoria from education. She did her GCSEs, A-Levels and went on to college in Milton Keynes before making her way to the University of Northampton to do a degree in Drama and English.

She got the bug for performing at the age of four. She said: "I ushered my Mum and dad into our living room and I put a red coat on with a hood and I pretended that I was little Red Riding Hood."

As Victoria was growing up she excelled in show-jumping, athletics, dancing and gymnastics, winning most of the events she took part in.

The performance at the Royal and Derngate will also feature a Northampton Youth Group Performance and a film by an award winning director Alex Nowak called Death by Deafness.

Tides of Deaf Talent will start at 3pm on Sunday, 18 July.

Back