the term "deaf brat"

rjr2006

Reaction score
Did any hearing people ever call you a deaf brat?

people called me deaf brat and I felt hurt inside, because they don't understand that deaf people have different methods due to the deafness. I feel that hearing people should LEARN from deaf culture and ACCEPT for whom deaf people are.

SAME IDEA AS FOREIGN PEOPLE AND USA........

rjr2006 said:
Did any hearing people ever call you a deaf brat?

people called me deaf brat and I felt hurt inside, because they don't understand that deaf people have different methods due to the deafness. I feel that hearing people should LEARN from deaf culture and ACCEPT for whom deaf people are.

SAME IDEA AS FOREIGN PEOPLE AND USA........

No one has a right to call you a deaf brat. I am sorry that you have to endure that but remember that you have the ability to rise above these ignorant jerks and prove it to them eventually that they need to swallow their own unkind words and look hard within themselves to figure out why they felt that they were entitled to call you that unkind name. :hug:

I'm sorry that someone call you that before, That was immature of them. Don't worry Hun, You are well-loved by a lots of us here, Some people just need to grow up like those who called you "deaf brat". Don't let it bother you, they're the one with a problem not you. :hug:

Could somebody explain what is meant by a "Deaf Brat"?

I know what is meant by "military brat" but I'm not sure about a "Deaf Brat"...

Thanks.

It's probably just a misunderstood or misdefined word they use. I've seen people use words when they don't know what those words really mean. Sometimes, they misunderstand what deafness really is and say it wrong like "deaf & dumb". If you believe you're a good person and did nothing wrong, then just disregard those comments. :)

I hate that "deaf & dumb"... it hurts my heart. I am a hearing bratt if that makes you feel any better......I think some people think that when you have a disability that you cannot really SEE....they think you use it as an attention getter. I'm guilty of feeling that way about my own husband. Its been a rough road at times.....I have finally come to see it thru his eyes and his ears now.. if you will.....

Maybe the special treatment they see you getting from friends and family bothers them. Maybe they get no attention and have no disabilities.......YET until some deaf boy gets ahold of them and kicks them one!! HAHAHAH sorry--that was clearly unchristlike.. but you get what I'm saying..

Just think of this quote...

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. :)

I agree with others here. Don't let them get to you because they have no friggin' idea. Hey, if it was me, I'd return the favor. "You Hearing Brat, you!" :D

Keep your chin up hunny. :hug:

chirowife03 said:

Maybe the special treatment they see you getting from friends and family bothers them. Maybe they get no attention and have no disabilities.......YET until some deaf boy gets ahold of them and kicks them one!! HAHAHAH sorry--that was clearly unchristlike.. but you get what I'm saying..

In the context that I saw in the beginning, this makes the clearest sense to me. Yea, I know that sort of situation you mean.

Thanks.

Rose Immortal said:
Yeah, and lots of us military brats use the term on ourselves with a smile. ;)
Army brats, Navy juniors. ;)

Sorry, :topic:

hate bein sterotyped

we hate bein labeled as deaf n dumb one time a black man came from sears to fix our washer( im from a deaf family) and he put on the tag Deaf and Dumb, then my dad asked what if my dad put other name for black on the tag wld he like it he replied no then put DEAF instead of D and D thats good point that my dad told him

my family been called worse than that but we still laugh bec they dont know crap about bein deaf.. some of them dont make sense me and my hearing bro still laugh at that insult eversince we was 9 or 10 years old, someone insulted us Dead Breathe and it didnt make any sense... so Ya just hang in there and Ingore them

Maybe the person meant "brat", generally....a brat who is deaf....

Catmandu said:
I agree with others here. Don't let them get to you because they have no friggin' idea. Hey, if it was me, I'd return the favor. "You Hearing Brat, you!" :D

Keep your chin up hunny. :hug:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good comeback!

Back