The Ten Commandments of America

Heath

Reaction score
The Ten Commandments of being a Successful American

The Ten Commandments of America

1. You can’t argue with success. (Be a success.)
2. Live and let live.
3. Time flies when you’re having fun. (Have lots of fun.)
4. Shop till you drop.
5. Just do it.
6. No pain, no gain. (Get tough.)
7. Enough is enough. (Stand up for your rights.)
8. Time is money. (Don’t waste time.)
9. Rules are made to be broken. (Think for yourself.)
10. God helps those who help themselves. (Work hard.)

Commandment 1. You can’t argue with success. (Be a success.)

Success is probably the most praised thing in American life. It relates to so many other characteristics of American life—individualism, freedom, goal-setting, progress, experimenting, social mobility, making money, pragmatism (doing what works), and optimism (expecting good things to happen).

Americans want to “make a success of themselves.” This is the “American Dream” which has attracted millions of immigrants and been taught to generations of American children. Everyone wants to be a success at something. If you do not think that way, you are considered a failure.

It is almost impossible to criticize success. For example, if an employee does something without properly consulting his supervisor, and as a result the company gets a big contract with a new customer, the employee will get much more praise than blame. The success of getting the new contract is more important than the failure to consult a superior.

Sometimes people will even say cheating is justified if it brings success. Other people, however, may argue with success of that kind.

Commandment 2. Live and let live. (Be tolerant.)

Americans love freedom and privacy. In a way that means we love to be left alone. We don’t want anyone interfering in our affairs, giving us advice, or trying to run our lives. We want people to “stay off our backs,” “stay out of our way,” and “mind their own business.”

Perhaps Live and let live should be listed as the first commandment of American culture, even more important than success. It means that no one should object to anyone else’s way of living. If you like opera and I like country music, that is fine. Neither of us should try to influence the other or object to the way the other lives.

If we are not tolerant of other people, we may damage their self-esteem (their own view of their value as human beings). To attack someone’s self-esteem is to break one of the most basic rules of American life.

Commandment 3. Time flies when you’re having fun. (Have lots of fun.)

Americans try to have as much fun as possible. Much of our fun comes through various kinds of entertainment, especially TV. But we also try to turn other activities into fun. Physical fitness soon becomes fun. Shopping is fun. People try to get a job which is fun (though not many succeed). Having fun is the major preoccupation of youth, retired people, and many of those in between.

In most situations Americans are very time-conscious. We know how long it will be till our next appointment, how long till this work day is over, and how long it will take to drive home. However, we forget to watch the clock when we are having fun. That is why “time flies,” that is, time seems to go by very quickly.

Commandment 4. Shop till you drop.

Many Americans shop as a form of recreation. Even if we are not shopping for anything in particular, we simply enjoy looking at all the options. We love the whole process of choosing what to buy and where to buy it. It is a major topic of social conversation. If you want to impress, convince him or her that you are a “smart shopper.”

The saying, Shop till you drop, is never used seriously as a command yet it holds a serious meaning. We are perhaps the ultimate consumer society, and this saying describes us so well that it could be our national motto.

Commandment 5. Just do it.

We are people of action. We do not like too much planning. That seems indecisive and perhaps a waste of time. We do not like rules and regulations that prevent action. We strongly dislike authority structures where people are expected to inform several other people before they do anything. We get an idea and we want to just do it.

Action is seen as the key to success. Action is more valuable than planning, checking regulations.

Commandment 6. No pain, no gain. (Get tough. Don’t whine.)

Americans are always seeking to gain something or improve something. We expect to have to work to achieve our goals. Success usually involves pain and sacrifice. It will not happen by itself.

If someone often complains about how hard something is, we call that person a “wimp.” We look down on such people. The ones we admire are the ones who know what they want and do not mind the pain it takes to get it. They follow the Sixth Commandment, “Get tough.”

Commandment 7. Enough is enough. (Stand up for your rights.)

Human rights and dignity are so basic to American thinking that we assume everyone else must think the same way. This proverb implies the command, “Stand up for your rights.” In the American Revolution, America as a nation said to Britain, Enough is enough, that is, “You have ruled us for long enough. You will not rule us any more.”

As we saw in Commandment 2, Live and let live, Americans do not want people interfering in their lives. When we sense interference, we push it away.

Commandment 8. Time is money. (Don’t waste time.)

Americans are very time-conscious and very money-conscious. Many of us get paid by the hour for the work we do. We give the employer a run of our time in order to get money.

The idea that time is money has gotten into our minds so deeply that it affects our whole lives. Wasting time is as bad as wasting money, so we schedule everything and we hurry everywhere. We often signal the end of a phone conversation or a meeting by saying, “Well, I don’t want to take up any more of your time.”

If you really want to annoy, sit down and talk as if you have nothing else to do for the rest of the day. You will be breaking the Eighth Commandment of American culture, “Don’t waste time.”

Commandment 9. Rules are made to be broken. (Think for yourself.)

We obey rules most of the time, but we see rules as someone else’s idea of how we should do things. We think the rule might have been appropriate in some other situation but it might not be appropriate for our situation now. Therefore we break it and do what we think is a better idea. This proverb implies the commandment, “Think for yourself in every situation. Do not just obey rules.”

Though Americans say, Rules are made to be broken, we never say, “Laws are made to be broken.” Laws are official legal “rules” and we proudly claim that in America, “No one is above the law.”

Commandment 10. God helps those who help themselves. (Work hard.)

God helps those who help themselves could mean that God blesses people who work hard. The proverb points to the same commandment. It is better to be independent than to depend on other people.

I think this one is also good to help Deaf people too. I liked it. :) :thumb:

God doesn't help those who help themselves because he doesn't exist. ;)

VamPyroX said:
God doesn't help those who help themselves because he doesn't exist. ;)

I believe in God ... if you don't then that is your problem. America has always been one nation under God for over 200 years now.

Heath said:
I believe in God ... if you don't then that is your problem. America has always been one nation under God for over 200 years now.
There was no "God" before those 200 years. There was another religion, another god... that the native indians worshiped for thousands of years before we ever came here. So, who are we to claim America as a "Nation Under God"?

VamPyroX said:
There was no "God" before those 200 years. There was another religion, another god... that the native indians worshiped for thousands of years before we ever came here. So, who are we to claim America as a "Nation Under God"?

In the beginning there was Adam and Eve ..... Native Americans were not even roaming the earth until much , much later.

p.s. This thread is about being a successful American and I thought this could help Deaf people too :) :thumb:

Heath said:
In the beginning there was Adam and Eve ..... Native Americans were not even roaming the earth until much , much later.

p.s. This thread is about being a successful American and I thought this could help Deaf people too :) :thumb:
Where's proof that Adam and Eve were first?

VamPyroX said:
Where's proof that the Bible is telling the truth?

Numbers 23:19 (King James Version)

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Psalm 19:8-10

The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Psalm 119:97

O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 119:167

My soul hath kept thy testimonies; and I love them exceedingly.

Psalm 40:4 (King James Version)

Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

John 8:44 (King James Version)

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Hebrews 6:18 (King James Version)

That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

1 Chronicles 16:29 (King James Version)

Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Matthew 4:23

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
Luke 15:7 (King James Version)

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Matthew 24:14

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Aren't we veering off-topic?

Ever heard of the word, "satiation"? Enuf, already, we heard ya the first time!

Heath said:
The KJV Holy Bible is the proof. God's Own Word.

Heath,

I'm going to have to concur with VamPyroX. Go back to the Book of Genesis. There are two different verses about man and woman being created and another about Adam and Eve. You need to start looking at the Bible as you should be doing instead of rattling off Scripture verses. How learned are you in Scripture, my friend? I would like to challenge you to a debate if you think that you are always correct and no one else is.

By the way, when you write Scripture verses out, after the verse you write, "KJV" instead of writing it all out. This is proper writing, as writing it all out would get tedious in a textbook. Furthermore, most textbooks or any book for that matter would state on the bibiography page at the beginning which translation of Scripture is being used and if different, would be notated by whichever translation the author or editor is using.

Heath said:
Numbers 23:19 (King James Version)

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Psalm 19:8-10

The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Psalm 119:97

O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 119:167

My soul hath kept thy testimonies; and I love them exceedingly.

Psalm 40:4 (King James Version)

Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

John 8:44 (King James Version)

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Hebrews 6:18 (King James Version)

That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

1 Chronicles 16:29 (King James Version)

Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Matthew 4:23

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
Luke 15:7 (King James Version)

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Matthew 24:14

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Umm... how is this proof that the Bible is telling the truth?

VamPyroX said:
Where's proof that the Bible is telling the truth?

Proof? ....you don't need proof.

when it come to the bible, it all about faith that somehow God will reveal himself.

but really, the proof around you.

and if there was a god, and if he is a "loving, gentle" god...why would he allow diseases, death, and sins?

the answer would be in the bible and it all began with adam and eve.

HOH_n_christ said:
Proof? ....you don't need proof.

when it come to the bible, it all about faith that somehow God will reveal himself.

but really, the proof around you.

and if there was a god, and if he is a "loving, gentle" god...why would he allow diseases, death, and sins?

the answer would be in the bible and it all began with adam and eve.
Okay. Where are the dinosaurs? If incest is wrong, why did Adam and Eve do it? Yes, God would allow diseases, death, and sins. I've seen wonderful people die at young age... even religious ones. I've seen horrible people die at older age... so horrible that everyone hates them. How do you explain that?

VamPyroX said:
Okay. Where are the dinosaurs? If incest is wrong, why did Adam and Eve do it? Yes, God would allow diseases, death, and sins. I've seen wonderful people die at young age... even religious ones. I've seen horrible people die at older age... so horrible that everyone hates them. How do you explain that?

It simply explains that you don't know God. Just look at your signature under your username .. coming from Hell that's where all the lost spirits and the Devil defies God or acknowledging Him. Darkness owns you. How to escape it? There is a way by acknowledge that there is true God and believe in Jesus the Savior to save you from Hell. Read the Bible and have faith!

The Bible explains the reasons why these pain, death, etc. existed and still exist all due to the Fall of Adam and Eve by their first sins. Need more proof .. there are way plenty of procephies in the Bible that were fulfilled and about to fulfill under our eyes and more that it can prove you. They're so awesome, FYI!

Back