Test scores misleading

Ethereal

Reaction score
I am in my second ASL class, planning to enter the interpreter preparation program at my college in the fall. Last semester, I received an "A" in ASL and so far, I've only gotten A's on my quizzes. However, I have so much trouble communicating out of the class room. I don't know why. The teachers and lab assistants are all deaf and used to signing with baby signers (the students). They don't (unless talking to each other) go excessively fast. However, I feel like I'm constantly asking them to repeat themselves. What's so different between reading sign during a test and reading during a conversation?

Don't beat yourself up over this. I've spent MANY years in ITP here in TX, but still have problems understanding some people and some situations. Your teacher probably uses only signs that have been taught in class for quizzes. When you're in the lab, context isn't always enough to understand a video or someone you're talking too. Other factors (stress, fatigue, not used to other signer, etc.) can affect how much you understand. Try to stay patient. You won't learn ASL overnight, but you CAN do it. :)

OT: Where do you live in CO? I spent 4 years in Longmont/Berthoud area. May move back after finished with school.

Don't feel discouraged. It just takes time, practice, and exposure. It won't happen overnight. But the more you "mingle" with Deaf signers, the better your receptive skills will become. You need to dive into the Deaf world and get real life experience. It is hard at first but you will become more comfortable as time goes by.

People who become professional foreign language interpreters are required to spend time in the country/counties that use that language. ASL terps should do the same thing. There is no geographic "Deaf country" but there are Deaf social communities that you can associate with. The staff at your school should be promoting those organizations and "Silent Dinners".

Videotapes are useful for gaining knowledge of a variety of signing styles. I don't mean "educational" tapes but tapes showing Deaf storytellers, Deaf stand-up comedians, or Deaf signed autobiographies. That way you can pick up on some of the Deaf/ASL nuances and idiomatic expressions. (p.s. view the tapes without captions or voice-overs)

Ethereal said:
Thanks for the encouragement. :)

And I live in Commerce City

are these your kids if you don't mind me asking? ;)

sorry for going :topic: here :D

Ethereal said:
I am in my second ASL class, planning to enter the interpreter preparation program at my college in the fall. Last semester, I received an "A" in ASL and so far, I've only gotten A's on my quizzes. However, I have so much trouble communicating out of the class room. I don't know why. The teachers and lab assistants are all deaf and used to signing with baby signers (the students). They don't (unless talking to each other) go excessively fast. However, I feel like I'm constantly asking them to repeat themselves. What's so different between reading sign during a test and reading during a conversation?[/QUOTE
You are only in your second class! A beginning class is almost always purely vocabulary, maybe they are using ASL and it is the sentence structure and well as the pure vocabulary that you don't understand. Even if they are signing contact sign or English, they still are probably using vocabulary you don't have yet. Beyond that let's say they happen to be signing in a way you understand with vocabulary you understand, their speed may be a little much. If you need to ask them to slow down, that's okay, they are all willing to help or they wouldn't be there teaching in the first place. Also, I don't know how old you are, but age plays a factor too, the older you are, the harder it is to learn. Give yourself another semester or two, and then see how you are doing.
For now, to improve, sign with as many people as you can. Go to deaf events, get together with your classmates, and, maybe, teach one of your family members to sign (the younger the better, age 10-up better if you want more conversation.) I taught my sister a lot of sign language, and we communicate with it all the time. It has helped me improve as well. Although I don't learn a lot of new signs from her, she has become skilled enough I can really practice my receptive skills. She took an ASL one class last fall, after I had been teaching her a few months, but she was bored because I had taught her almost all the signs! She will probably still take the ASL 2 class, (classes start tomorrow) because I know I can never replace a teacher, especially the wonderful deaf teacher she is going to have.
I am an ASL student as well, who threw myself into deaf events last semester, and I improved so much! Most people, (deaf and terps) think I am toward the end of interpreter training when they see me sign, yay! (I am going to be taking my 4th semester)
Anyway, good luck, send me a message anytime, and keep on signing!

zesty said:
are these your kids if you don't mind me asking? ;)
They're my "babies", but they'r not my own children. The left side is my niece and nephew giving a kiss to their new sister. The one on the right is a picture of the baby when she's older. I was their nanny beforeI started school. I love my babies!

signer16 said:
Also, I don't know how old you are, but age plays a factor too, the older you are, the harder it is to learn.
I'm nearing 21.

Reba said:
The staff at your school should be promoting those organizations and "Silent Dinners".
We have a bulletin board that announces all of the upcoming deaf events. However, I don't have a car right now, so it's very difficult to get to them.

Reba said:
Videotapes are useful for gaining knowledge of a variety of signing styles. I don't mean "educational" tapes but tapes showing Deaf storytellers, Deaf stand-up comedians, or Deaf signed autobiographies. That way you can pick up on some of the Deaf/ASL nuances and idiomatic expressions. (p.s. view the tapes without captions or voice-overs)
We have many videos at our school's lab. Some have fingerspelling practice, some have stories, some have questions, etc. None of them have voice-overs or captioning. If you really need help understand, you're supposed to ask the lab assistants (who are all deaf). Last semester, I felt out of place in the lab because most of the people I saw in there were in there 2nd or 3rd year and I could hardly sign. However, I got over that and now I spend as much time as possible in the labs. I try to alternate between watching the videos and conversing with the assistants.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back