Technological progress: better hearing than normal hearing

Hi HH Scientist, I like what you wrote there about the different abilities.
I think people be very narrow in what they perceive as alleged "acceptable" or "normal"

Or even majority... =/

No one should determine humanity that whoever is "normal" or not. Stupid and awfully discrimination.

Hi HH Scientist, I like what you wrote there about the different abilities.
I think people be very narrow in what they perceive as alleged "acceptable" or "normal"

I think that you can many points of view and countless many examples for each of those views.

For example, I do not like being treated differently. But I also know that the subconscious part of the brain make most people be on 'autopilot' in their everyday life. Hearing is very usual and therefore it becomes the norm. If you cannot hear, then you have to explain to people why that is and how they should talk to you (perhaps talk more slowly, or perhaps you need to go to a silent room, etc). For blind people, you do not have to explain anything. They have a lead dog or a white stick, so it is evident upon first sight. (I am not trying to say that it is an advantage, just a different attitude.)

I try not to blame people for what they do. I try to think of it in a positive way: having to explain to them how to behave makes me an important person.

But society in general can make things a whole lot better. Everyone with a disability should not have to excuse him/herself. It is a bit irritating.

Everyone with a disability should not have to excuse him/herself. It is a bit irritating.

The day I realized that apologizing for my deafness was offensive to me personally was the day I stopped excusing myself for having a disability. I no longer beg pardon or apologize for not hearing what someone said.

I'm amazed at the number of people that are taken aback when I do not express any regret/sorry/please forgive me/ect for not being able to hear them. It's like they expect me to feel bad for not being able to hear them. TOUGH SHIT! If I cannot hear you, it's not my fault!!! And I damn well will not be apologizing for it.

People are weird.

I was at a conference with other scientists recently. I did a presentation in front of everyone else. Afterwards, people can ask questions if they want to. Not one - not one person - had a question to ask me.

It could be because my topic was difficult and not obvious. Another reason could be that my hearing disability was clear to everyone so they did want to put themselves in the position of having to repeat something to me. It was as though they were afraid to ask questions.

I wonder.

I'm amazed at the number of people that are taken aback when I do not express any regret/sorry/please forgive me/ect for not being able to hear them. It's like they expect me to feel bad for not being able to hear them. TOUGH SHIT! If I cannot hear you, it's not my fault!!! And I damn well will not be apologizing for it.

People are weird.

I would stare into people's eyes with a razor-sharp gaze (look confident and purposeful) and make it absolutely clear that they have done nothing wrong. But neither have I done something wrong (that is what the gaze is for).

Don't apologize to them. But don't blame them or kill them either.

I was at a conference with other scientists recently. I did a presentation in front of everyone else. Afterwards, people can ask questions if they want to. Not one - not one person - had a question to ask me.

It could be because my topic was difficult and not obvious. Another reason could be that my hearing disability was clear to everyone so they did want to put themselves in the position of having to repeat something to me. It was as though they were afraid to ask questions.

I wonder.

Did the other scientists get asked a lot of questions?

I wonder.

I'd say it was probably just because no one had any questions. I have sat through any number of presentations where the presenter asks, at the end, "Does anyone have any questions?" and not a single question is asked.

I wonder.

Dont blame you. I would have wondered myself as well.

Maybe next time, tell them to write their questions on paper and you can answer them via email if they did feel uncomfortable at the meeting? See what happens?

Did the other scientists get asked a lot of questions?

Perhaps that 1 of 5 presentations ended up with no questions.

BTW, I think that my topic was quite unusual, so it was probably my bad hearing + my topic that resulted in the outcome. Not one or either, that is.

BTW, I think that my topic was quite unusual, so it was probably my bad hearing + my topic that resulted in the outcome. Not one or either, that is.

You seem to be forgetting it could be that you did such a good job that they really didn't have any questions.

True, that. Often when it is an unusual topic, people need time to digest it all before they can actually formulate a question.

h_11_4048_MCGUIRE_017.jpg

Fenway has special seating and handheld assistive listening devices and Gillette Stadium has great compliance with and surpasses accessibility recommendations & requirements. There's a very cool video accompanying the Gillette accessibility article.

Gillette Stadium: Accessible to All - YouTube

We've tried out a couple of the newer iPhone apps with ASL dictionaries targeted specifically at the installations at museums, one was being tested at the Museum of Science in Boston. It was a bit awkward to use with multiple, not yet interlinked dictionaries to walk through one by one and really didn't quite hit the right vocabulary, but I can see the potential for really making such a thing work.

My gosh! what cool looking device!
In layman terms, what can it do?
can I for example take it down to the movies and it will produce captions?

Fuzzy

Last edited:
It's used only in the ball park, and will give you captions for the public address system, or give an audio description of the game.

Also gives ALS translations.

Not for use in movie theaters, far as I know, but wouldn't that be great if it were!

You seem to be forgetting it could be that you did such a good job that they really didn't have any questions.

True, that. Often when it is an unusual topic, people need time to digest it all before they can actually formulate a question.

You are both right. With the accumulation of experience, it might turn out better over time. That is, learning by doing.

Back