Technician oil burner jobs

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Curious anyone of you who work as a tech oil burner?? I thought it pays good, its perfect for deaf peeps to work there.

I think that may go out because of pollution. I don't think they are even allowed here anymore.

All natural gas or electric.

I think the older homes, especially in the Northeast still have them. I have one in the house I'm renting. If I should buy this house (which I'm having 2nd thoughts about and am in no hurry for the landlord to decide if he's going to sell it) I may convert to natural gas because the house is "near" a gas line and I've been told that, I think, the county or power company will pay for the connection. Of course, I'd have to pay for the new furnace...but that won't be bad since the current furnance is 15 years old and probably will need to be replaced in the next 5 years anyway.

I think the older homes, especially in the Northeast still have them. I have one in the house I'm renting. If I should buy this house (which I'm having 2nd thoughts about and am in no hurry for the landlord to decide if he's going to sell it) I may convert to natural gas because the house is "near" a gas line and I've been told that, I think, the county or power company will pay for the connection. Of course, I'd have to pay for the new furnace...but that won't be bad since the current furnance is 15 years old and probably will need to be replaced in the next 5 years anyway.

Slightly off topic.

I can see just changing completely with that age of furnace. But. . . an oil furnace can be converted to gas — either natural or LP. I have personal experience with this in that the furnace that was in use when I bought this house in 1989 had been converted from oil to natural gas.

you mean HVAC. Heating vent air conditioning. That includes oil burners which are still very common. The job does pay well and is an excellent careerer since people will always need heat and ac. It has become lots more technical these days . Computer controls are more common

you mean HVAC. Heating vent air conditioning. That includes oil burners which are still very common. The job does pay well and is an excellent careerer since people will always need heat and ac. It has become lots more technical these days . Computer controls are more common

That's my expertise...building automation. We make the HVAC equipment work as well as integrate all systems into one.

Yes, everything is pretty much automated these days.

There is always a high demand for HVAC technicians, especially ones that actually know what they are doing. Pay is usually good, depending on the area. In the DC area, many are union workers. Good luck getting in the union.

I was a tech for a year before moving up the ladder. Yes, deaf people can do the work as well as hearing on 95% of the systems.

What's the problem then? Employers are scared of a deaf person working on expensive equipment. Trust me. You might have to start as a grunt worker and prove your way up to the position like I did.

Some oil burners can be converted to gas or propane.....but only if the savings are worth it. Gotta calculate how much you will save vs how much it will cost, etc.

That's my expertise...building automation. We make the HVAC equipment work as well as integrate all systems into one.

Yes, everything is pretty much automated these days.

There is always a high demand for HVAC technicians, especially ones that actually know what they are doing. Pay is usually good, depending on the area. In the DC area, many are union workers. Good luck getting in the union.

I was a tech for a year before moving up the ladder. Yes, deaf people can do the work as well as hearing on 95% of the systems.

What's the problem then? Employers are scared of a deaf person working on expensive equipment. Trust me. You might have to start as a grunt worker and prove your way up to the position like I did.

Some oil burners can be converted to gas or propane.....but only if the savings are worth it. Gotta calculate how much you will save vs how much it will cost, etc.

I would think the part (just part) of that calculation would include the convenience of constant deliver of gas through an underground pipe as opposed to individual deliveries of oil to a storage tank be that tank above or below ground. Like today I would think that there are some in the northeast that couldn't get an oil delivery because of the snow!

Back