Teaching bf sign

Deaf_Jen

Reaction score
*sigh* i had this crazy idea to teach my boyfriend some sighn language, as my hearing isnt getting any better... and he has a bit of a speach problem.... urgh boy was that a mistake... I'm not all that good at sighn... and i didnt know anyone could be worse :S...
:squint:

take classes together

I had a friend losing her hearing but neither of us knew sign!

Now, before she's lost her hearing, we use it in loud places where we can't hear each other!

You should take classes with him. Also he should be willing to improve his diction.

You could always pull the "if you love me" to get him to learn sign.

-John

Find out if a local deaf club or organisation offers ASL classes for free. That is usually quite an intitative for bfs or gfs to go there and learn ASL. My bf has been attending in the past few weeks and his sign language has improved markedly.

Ha! I'm in the same boat as you!! I'm trying to teach it to my bf as well! I start ASL classes tonight ( I know SL, but i want to improve it) and i asked him to join, but he can't coz he's got a lot of other stuff to do so i'll teach him after. He really wants to learn it though. He knows his name and 'sure'

same with me im loseing some of my hearing and cant hear in public or noisy places because the sounds blend to me and i cant make out anything so when at school with my girlfriend i sign and it makes things easy for us.

im trying ot teach my bf signs too... ... kinda hard to learn or teach when one of partner wouldnt work with u huh?

does GF count? i'm teaching my gf signs.. it seems like its hard but it takes time.. yet she'll probally never finish within 1 year.. but takes time and slowly learn.. at least she is very patient enough :D

Some one mentioned using the "If you love me" thing. Dont.

You can't force some one to do this. If they can't get the hint, then strait out tell them that they should. If they refuse, well, there are other fish in the sea.

I was really reluctant to start a relationship with a hearing girl that diddn't allready sign.

I started with the "ILY" sign. (something easy) The manual alphabet, how to spell her name, (and my name), and some random signs to get her started.

She's taking an ASL class this semester, unfortunately it's a long distance relationship untill she graduates this May, So we'll have to practice quite a bit when she visits for spring break :)

Hmm... I wanted to learn, so never thought about it too much, but I've taught difficult students for several years, and so some of the following might be worth trying. Forgive me if it is out of place.

You might try an old teaching trick... teach them the signs that are most important to them. Someone mentioned ILY. You might also try things like, "Would you like..." (to go out, a kiss, etc). Share these signs in a private environment, and at times that you are both feeling very good about each other and yourselves. ie if you joke alot, you can sign "funny!!" "you're crazy! :)" and other words in addition to another mode(s) of communication. Also, don't correct them too much at the beginning, let them get comfortable with the idea of signing first.

You might also try a trade... if he wants you to learn sky diving or whatever that he enjoys, you can learn sky diving while he learns sign... if that is the trade, though, when he is fluent, then you have to jump, so be careful! :)

Also, I am hearing and so is my bf, but I tend to flirt in sign language to some extent. Hmmm... he doesn't seem to mind at all! ;)

Also keep in mind that there are reasons that people don't want to learn new things. There are many reasons, including that they may be: intimidated that someone knows something they don't; afraid they'll make fools of themselves; afraid (especially with something as visually open as sign language) that they will call unwanted attention to themselves (or to you as a couple at a time when they would like some privacy). Beginning signers are often extremely aware that "everyone's watching" and "I'm no good at this!!" If you make them feel like their signing is as romantic and sexy as a few phrases of French, they might decide its well worth learning!! :)

Back