Tangent to "Can I be fired for safety or work reasons?"

Dennis S.

Reaction score
I'm going to start my own thread on this topic.

Back when I was working for Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles, CA, I held two positions: Games Host and Ride Operator.

I had a blast during the summer I was a Games Host. I sold people to play games like Skee-ball, Mini-Golf Putt, Ring Toss and Basketball. You pay a $1.00 or whatever, you get a chance to win a prize. I was the hardest working guy there -- making the hard sell, getting people excited and worked up, making sure I balanced my change, etc. I was awarded the Superstar honor at the end of the summer for my area, being recognized as one of the best employees.

The next summer, I selected to work in the rides section of the park. The first day on the job, I was told by my supervisor that I was a "safety hazard." I "wouldn't be able to hear people shout for help" or "hear the telephone ring for orders." I never got trained beyond the very minimum they could do and put me on the baby rides. Whenever I complained, the supe would always say "whatever." The way it works is that you get trained, evaluated, then sent up to the more prestegious rides where you would get eventually get promoted.

Since I was stuck at the bottom level with the rest of the "undesireables", the best I could do was stick it out, day in and day out. I didn't know any better, I didn't know there was a law against it, because I constantly did a great job but since my supe didn't care, I couldn't do anything about it.

How did I get out? I found a WAY better job, in the field I wanted, away from the dumb people who were ignorant and stuck up and uneducated. I'm thankful I did and that led me to learn about ADA and my RIGHTS as a deaf person.

What should I have done, if I knew about ADA and knew that there ARE solutions for deaf people in the jobs out there? If I knew that people didn't HAVE to put up with it, I would have fought much harder to get equal access and made a stink about it to the big wigs. I consistently proved that I was a better employee than those people who were socially promoted, and yet I was stuck at the bottom rung simply because of a disability that can't take advantage of technologies that are EASILY remedied in ways that BENEFIT HEARING EMPLOYEES too.

Well said!

Yes, we're better off finding better things than to sit around and sue the pants off of people who won't let us do things. Even if we were to win, we only end up making them hate us more and that causes a lot of tension between each other. There was one woman I heard about who worked for this company. She demanded a LONG list of accomodations from her boss. Her boss didn't see the need for the things she requested. Secondly, the demands were so great that they couldn't accomodate her immediately. She ended up spending most of her time and the company's resources to collect information and continue to complain about her accomodations. Since she never actually did her job, they fired her. Of course, she couldn't win any lawsuit... because she was fired for not doing her job, not because she was deaf. :roll: That's why I think that some people are just getting carried away for a lot of things for no specific reason.

Before people start thinking words lawyers and lawsuits, ask the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) how to deal with your unique situation at work. They are knowledgeable on the ADA and workers' rights. You can contact the Department of Justice (DoJ) for non-work related questions, such as civil rights.

There is no "ADA office" - See the EEOC or DoJ. It is they who do the work and talk with your employer, etc. on your behalf. No lawyer or lawsuit required. If lawsuit happens, it'll come from the DoJ, not us.

http://www.eeoc.gov/

http://www.usdoj.gov/

Steve

Back