Take SAT and ACT test

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
My son is in senior year. He will take SAT and ACT tests. I wonder if the score would be higher. Will He get the scholastic? We need to apply the finance aid to see if he will get some quality to receive the fund to pay his college tuition.

Most of students graduated from High School. They work at the company because the company does pay their tuition that is good taking an advantage.

How could the student have their loan thousand dollars? What if he/she can’t find the job, how could they repay their loan?

I can’t image, University cost 40K a year. 40 x 4 years = 160,000 dollars. How could the student repay $160K the loan? It seems like forever to make the payment the loan. :shock:

I do not know, how could I handle the budget for two son’s college tuition? I may work four jobs. :lol:

Hi Sabrina.

You can always apply for financial aid. There is a process involved but you do have options - and four jobs? That might be a little too much to handle, dear heart. You gotta take it easy ;) How about letting your son get a part time job so that he can pay for his books? Those alone are a definite pocket drainer! Do some research within the schools that he might be interested in attending. Don't worry about whether or not it's a "good" school. As long as he gets his degree and is good at what he chooses to do...then the place he got his degree really doesn't matter. *hugs*

Anyway - check out your local bookstores. They have SAT/ACT study guides and sample tests that he can take to better prepare himself for the actual examination. :)

His school might also offer SAT study groups or classes or tutoring. That is, if he needs it or feels comfortable receiving it.

I don't believe in borrowing money for tuition. That begins a hole of debt that just gets deeper.

Try to get scholarships and grants; apply for everything available. Ask the school about work/study programs.

I don't believe it is mom's responsibility to pay for college. If the boys really want the education, they will work and pay for it themselves. They can work full time and attend school part time. It takes longer but it is more meaningful that way. If they can attend just one class per semester, fine. They can attend thru summer semester too.

Sometimes it is cheaper to begin at a 2-year college, then transfer later to a 4-year school. Attending a local school is cheaper because the students can live at home, not a dorm.

Good luck!

I never took the ACT, but I did take the SAT. I got a score of something around 1300. :)

if your sons are really good at something, they can sometimes get full or partial scholarships (based on grades, sports, art, writing, web design, etc). these are nice because the don't need to be paid back.

i don't know if they still do this, but my friend went into the peace core after college. she had federal loans, and some were excused and others were greatly reduced how much she owed because she volunteer for it.

also, the military does something similar, but it's too dangerious. too many people being killed and hurt in iraq and other places.:( not good idea.

Well, a lot of Americans say you should be proud that you can get an education. Oprah had a show about different countries. It's not as bad as America make it seem. Some places pay your education and health insurance fully. I call that the opportunity to get an education, not over here in America.

Also, if you apply for FAFSA, you may only get around 3,000 dollars a year. It depends on how much money you and your son have--saved or earn. These factors affect FAFSA. The best way to get more out of FAFSA is to be as poor as you can be. The rest will be loans which of course I don't recommend. How many times do you hear people still paying debts through taking care of children and a home? Crazy.

Working for a company with tuition reinbursement is a good option. You may only be able to do it part-time while you work full-time for them, but that's better than nothing, right?

Tell him to go to fastweb.com. They have tons of scholarships for specifics that you check, but most will need an essay to do, so tell him to work on it starting now. Some colleges offer some minimal scholarships. It can get discouraging if you write up and don't get anything, but it'll help his writing and get something sometimes.

I also suggest that your son find out the classes first and go to www.half.com, ebay.com or amazon.com to find used books at really cheap prices. My brother saves hundreds doing this. He even returned his new books once the used ones arrived. College textbooks are a rip-off. There are probably other sites, but those are the ones I know right now.

I agree that parents should not work for their child's education. The best way this should have been done is starting a college fund early, but since this didn't happen, then you don't need to feel guilty to work. You worked. It's his turn now.

My act was 29. Apply for as many scholarships as possible, I know it's hard to get scholarships (I just graduated so I know.) I told my mother NOT to pay a cent for my college education, so I'm taking a year off, saving up some money, I'm going to retake the ACT test, apply for more scholarships, and see how it comes out.

Reba said:
I don't believe in borrowing money for tuition. That begins a hole of debt that just gets deeper.

I STRONGLY disagree. Borrowing money for education gives a MUCH better return on investment than investing in the stock market. IF you get that piece of paper that says "BA" or "BS" then the companies will take you seriously in terms of salary. The same goes for MA/MS.

I don't believe it is mom's responsibility to pay for college. If the boys really want the education, they will work and pay for it themselves. They can work full time and attend school part time. It takes longer but it is more meaningful that way. If they can attend just one class per semester, fine. They can attend thru summer semester too.

I STRONGLY disagree. While I can't really comment on the parent's responsibility portion, I believe that if the opportunity is there, that FULL time college with part time work is the BEST option. Full time workers do NOT get the full benefit of their education, in my opinion. I have seen the whole gamut of friends who go from one extreme to the other -- those who went full time to college are feeling more successful and rewarded than those who did very little college education and are now working dead-end jobs or are deadbeats.

Sometimes it is cheaper to begin at a 2-year college, then transfer later to a 4-year school. Attending a local school is cheaper because the students can live at home, not a dorm.

All are viable options that I agree with, IF the student wants to go that avenue. I would not turn down a chance to study at a 4 year school if Fin Aid will support it and I was accepted.

I do believe it is parents responsibility too. It takes a group effort to pull this thing out successfully.

Your kids can work part time to earn money for books, food, etc while helping you look around for financial assistance such as Pell Grant, etc.

Taking out a loan is a good idea because in a long run, it DOES pay off. The society is becoming more and more demanding of college degrees to even get an entry job.

Why not be a ROTC? ROTC will pay your college full coverage. If they graduate college as a ROTC member, they can graduate college for free and help them get a job with government. That is how my brother-in-law did, he graduated with B.A. in Criminal Justice and my niece (my brother-in-law's daughter) is 16, and she is the member of Jr ROTC, and she is getting all the finanical when she graduate from high school.. She wanted to be an astronaut, and she is very smart and bookwormer and excellent with computer. I know she is a little tomboy, but she is smart.

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
Why not be a ROTC? ROTC will pay your college full coverage.

Not quite full coverage. It's the same with joining the military, you get a certain amount IF YOU QUALIFY then you have to join the military upon graduation for a certain amount of time.

Since Sabrina's son is a senior, I don't think 1 year in ROTC will qualify.

Also, you have to be hearing to join the military -- this option won't work for deaf children, so other methods will need to be looked into.

this morning, I gave my son's regristration for SAT test in December with my check. he stated, he preferred to not going to college after he graduates from High School. I am extremely discouraged. He is very brilliant young man. I can't push him into college. Hope, one day he will realize that education is very important for his future career :(

Sabrina said:
this morning, I gave my son's regristration for SAT test in December with my check. he stated, he preferred to not going to college after he graduates from High School. I am extremely discouraged. He is very brilliant young man. I can't push him into college. Hope, one day he will realize that education is very important for his future career :(
i do uddy how ur feeling abt u wanna him have a education in future.. so let him think himself and have time think.. :cuddle:

Dennis said:
Geez, he's old for a high school kid. I turned 17 when I was a senior!

Before September, one year late for the seniors graduate High School. Every state are different.

Sabrina,

I wouldn't push it if I were you. Some kids are not ready for college right away after high school graduation. I know it is disappointing but I see too many kids in college, flunking out or not applying to themselves because they are not ready for college nor have they figured out what they want to do.

He may change his mind after a year - he can always take a few courses at a local community college to " test it out " .

HUGS :)

Dennis said:
Geez, he's old for a high school kid. I turned 17 when I was a senior!
It is common for "January babies" to start school a year later because of schools' cut-off date.

Back